Pupae=Baby Skaarj ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
"...All these Skaarj have to come from somewhere, though. Halfway through the game, the player meets the Pupae form of the Skaarj species. A relatively small (about 6 feet long, but only a foot or so tall) insect-like creature that behaves almost more like a spider than a Skaarj, though it still possesses the leap attack, the tusks, and the general face-shape..."

^this is how L.A. describes the pupae.still open for discussions imo.:eek:

EDIT: or does the quote say..pupae is the childhood stage of a skaarj ?

Last edited:
It's all pretty vague and open to interpretation. The current "official" word on it may not necessarily be trusted, depending on your point of view. But I think the general consensus is Pupae=baby Skaarj. Skaarj have lifecycles like bugs, ect. Drones and Queens look completely different than each other, like bees or termites.

I don't think it really matters anyway. Skaarj are generic sci-fi monsters that are ripoffs of Predators and Aliens.

Last edited:

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
I don't think it really matters anyway. Skaarj are generic sci-fi monsters that are ripoffs of Predators and Aliens.

tbh...that`s the main reason i opened this thread.can it be the that Epic was inspired by the well known movies ? skaarj/pupae and queen are imported.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Why not just make up the history of the species for yourself? Much more interesting than following any "official" explanations. Get creative.

Edit: Funny that you're asking these types of questions, exus.

Last edited:

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
:lol:
once i make a serious business thread in my unreal life neo.dont break my parade lol.

EDIT: pupae are the monsters i hate at most..i even just jump over them.

Last edited:

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
Pupae are foot-stools
Skaarj are toilets

Queens are for shagging

and warlords get my paper

Titans?... I need a new game room round back here some rocks.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I base it off from the Scripts in the monsters because it is the way the programmers followed the whole story line they based the game of. I'm not sure if there was an official story of the Unreal game released by Epic or not but from what I've heard it is pretty accurate by how the script in them works.

This is the code in the main Skaarj class and the Attitude towards its kind, Nali and others:
Code:
function eAttitude AttitudeToCreature(Pawn Other)
{
	if ( Other.IsA('Skaarj') )
	{
		if ( Other.IsA('SkaarjBerserker') )
			return ATTITUDE_Ignore;
		else
			return ATTITUDE_Friendly;
	}
	else if ( Other.IsA('Pupae') )
	else if ( Other.IsA('Nali') )
		return ATTITUDE_Hate;
	else if ( Other.IsA('WarLord') || Other.IsA('Queen') )
	else
		return ATTITUDE_Ignore;
}
The above code tells me that the skaarjs are friendly with Pupaes, Warlords and Queens. They ignore the SkaarjBerserkers unless they're attacked by them.

this detemines what the SkaarjBerserker does and it looks like they attack anything -even themselves- but not the Pupaes:
Code:
{
	if ( Other.IsA('ScriptedPawn') && !Other.IsA('Pupae') )
		return ATTITUDE_Hate;
	else
		return ATTITUDE_Ignore;
}

The Queens don't attack skaarjs and pupaes. She attacks any other creatures including Warlords and her own type. She really hates the Nalis and SkaarjBerserkers and with no doubt will attack them:
Code:
{
	if ( Other.IsA('Skaarj') )
	{
			return ATTITUDE_Hate;
		else
	}
	else if ( Other.IsA('Pupae') )
	else if ( Other.IsA('Nali') )
		return ATTITUDE_Hate;
	else
		return ATTITUDE_Ignore;
}

The Pupaes are friendly with the Skaarjs, Queens and Warlords but will attack SkaarjBerserker if they are attacked by them. They will attack any other creature for sure:
Code:
{
	if ( Other.IsA('Pupae') )
	else if ( Other.IsA('Skaarj') )
	{
			return ATTITUDE_Ignore;
		else
	}
	else if ( Other.IsA('WarLord') || Other.IsA('Queen') )
	else if ( Other.IsA('ScriptedPawn') )
		return ATTITUDE_Hate;
}

There is no attitude code for the Warlords meaning that they will attack anything that attacks them including pupaes. It looks like they have no respect towards their own race making them the meanest of all skaarjs.

From what I see in the scripts I conclude that the Pupaes are actually skaarj babies and can be eaten by the mean Warlords if they're not respectful to them lol. Also, it looks like the SkaarjBerserkers play a big role in their race and are hated by their own kind and can even be attacked by the pupaes as well. This makes me wonder if the story line on the skaarjs matches with what is scripted in their classes and if it is as accurate as it seems.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
From what I see in the scripts I conclude that the Pupaes are actually skaarj babies and can be eaten by the mean Warlords if they're not respectful to them lol.

And Warlords have eating animations - they'll strike a carcass with various melee attacks and eat it (the carcass still stand obviously).

Put "Mutilating" in the Warlord's Orders. It was supposed to be used in this deleted part of Nyleve which I have recreated; check here.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
And Warlords have eating animations - they'll strike a carcass with various melee attacks and eat it (the carcass still stand obviously).

Put "Mutilating" in the Warlord's Orders. It was supposed to be used in this deleted part of Nyleve which I have recreated; check here.

Howver that map will only work with UT as it was resaved there....so I better suggest players that don't have UT to recreate the thing themselves, it is easy, plus they can position the warlord how they feel like and edit his sight better.

AH wait you didn't put it for download there....sorry...so its the instructions thread and people should follow that if they want it to get to work...btw the alarm points were already set for me no need to alter them..

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Where the hell it is said that Pupa is the singular? Only Pupae is the official name.

-ae is an ending in English. It is used only with plural forms when talking about species and a few other things, usually derived from Latin. The singular forms of these words end with the letter -a.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
That's bull****. Why is the classname named pupae then? ANd why does it say killed by pupae and not pupa?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
That's bull****. Why is the classname named pupae then? ANd why does it say killed by pupae and not pupa?

Exactly. Plus, Pupae is the name of a member of an alien race, so things are different; even if the whole "ae" ending used for larvae as an example is true D:

It's only "Pupae".

Last edited: