[SPACE] Elite: Dangerous + Star Citizen

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
There are so many space sims coming out in the near feature, with the common theme of being crowdfunded, galaxy encompassing and some made by veterans of space sim development.
The most notable ones are Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous. Star Citizen currently sits on a whopping $44 million in crowdfunded money, while Elite: Dangerous is probably resting at a measly £2 million.
They are both currently going through alpha stages and basically being shown/released in parts. ED is releasing its alpha base multiplayer on friday, and SC's dog fighting module is coming out tomorrow, assuming they won't delay it again. SC already released the Hangar module, which really is just a Hangar that allows you to check out the ships you've bought, and ED has released earlier versions of their multiplayer to premium backers.

Personally I have backed both projects (after their successful kickstarters), SC with $42 and ED with €100. Getting alpha/beta access to ED is quite pricy, since they don't want everyone and their mother to get in during the alpha stages, they'd much rather have a dedicated core that really cares.

Both ED and SC have promised Oculus Rift integration and both look very promising. SC has suffered a lot of delays, where ED has definitely managed to establish a more professional customer relationship.
I am personally a lot more excited for ED than SC, and am extremely excited to sore through space in my own little hyperspacedorito and Oculus Rift.

Here's one of my favourite ED videos. Make sure to fullsreen it at 720p, turn up your sounds and follow the commentary at the top!
[M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvl7uaR1sfI[/M]

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I always loved the way space sims looked when experienced players were engaged in epic dog fights with other experienced players in YouTube videos.
like that. that looks awesome. lots of depth to the gameplay.

but the few sims I've actually tried never ended up delivering in reality.
too empty. too much lul between action. and maybe that's realistic.

but then that's not why I play video games...

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Elite Dangerous basically tries to have the AI follow what the players are doing, so that you get the impression of an EVE style game with player driven economy, but really it's just AI reacting and adapting to what the players are doing. They've put a lot of thought into it, and it will be an MMO, but not like EVE.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I'm playing with TrackIR, so I don't have to deal with that. Same thing when I get the Rift in july. You control how it works, since it's basically just for adjusting power settings and looking at data, but yeah, in the base dorito ship, it's kind of a quick, jerky and annoying animation.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Star Citizen is using CryEngine. It's probably going to bomb, frankly.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Elite dangerous premium beta came out yesterday, it's a ton of fun. First time I play with a hotas setup, and I also have a track IR which really augments the experience. The amount of things you can do is still a bit limited, and the game is very technical, but I love it.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Star Citizen dog fighting module most likely coming out some time today. Will be interesting to see how well it works, compared to Elite Dangerous. It'll be the first time players get to pilot spaceships in Star Citizen.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
From what I hear, one of the biggest problems is how much of an advantage mouse+keyboard users have vs joystick users. I've been following mostly 4chan, and of course HOTAS setup users are being called idiots for expecting their setup to be better than glorious keyboard+mouse. Obviously that's why helicopter and jet pilots sit with a keyboard and mouse in their cockpits. HOTAS does give a lot better control though.

That said, keyboard+mouse users cannot realistically expect to play this game with an Oculus Rift, since they can't see their keyboard, which will give HOTAS users with Rifts an advantage. In ED for example, just having a trackIR is absolutely crazy.

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
So in Star Citizen your guns can move independently of the rest of the ship. Problem one is that this only happens with the mouse giving joystick users a disadvantage. Problem two is that your positioning didn't affect where you can shoot. In any other dogfighting game the skill is in maneuvering into better positioning than your opponent. IE you get on their tail, and they can't shake you. In star citizen it doesn't matter because no matter what positioning they get on you, you can still shoot them. In fact, there's anewtonian mode that uses real space physics so you can keep moving in a certain direction, but turn your ship around to face the enemy.

It will be interesting to see how the community works it out. I feel like StarCitizen's gameplay ideas are already falling apart when they meet reality.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
So this is based on the original Elite; the space trading/mining/pirating/battling game from the late '80's early ''90s?

That was a great game. I always thought it would be a good game to reboot.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
So this is based on the original Elite; the space trading/mining/pirating/battling game from the late '80's early ''90s?

That was a great game. I always thought it would be a good game to reboot.

Yup. Same guys and company developing it. A lot of people are praising it for being so close to the originals, yet keeping it very fresh and fun.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I haven't played ED, but so far I'm really enjoying Star Citizen. I wouldn't worry about the flight mechanics so much yet. This is still an alpha. Lots will change. If anything, it plays a lot like the old Wing Commander games and that's nice.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Elite has now entered the second phase of the premium beta. From what Frontier has said, it's likely the game will enter standard beta in august, meaning that it will then be cheaper. I'm having an absolute blast in the game thus far.