Steam - just hot air or actually a driving force for UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I am torn because I like the ideal of DRM free completely.

However, I absolutely want things like the Steam Workshop and Steam Cloud and the easy multiplayer/matchmaking, and joining games from the friends list, and all of this stuff that Steam provides out of the box. In order to get that without Steam integration, Epic will have to create their own platform that replicates it. After seeing how the UE4 launcher currently works, I have my doubts they could do that in a reasonable amount of time.

Seeing as Steam is the #1 platform on PC at this time, it seems like a no-brainer. But it might have an affect on their planned monetization models.
My thoughts exactly.

Remember installing 7 CDs, two patches, and incremental patch, then ANOTHER incremental patch? Man that was the shit. I really hope Unreal Tournament isn't on Steam because that was the BEST.
Have you seen the launchers of modern F2P games, like Tribes, Hawken or World of Tanks? If the game needs an update, it downloads it. That's the easiest thing that can be done with a custom launcher.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Please, not Steam.:( Although, I'm not opposed to a Steam version for the Steam lovers and a non-Steam version for the Steam haters.:) That would be ideal.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If I read you correctly, would that mean no more being able to login to UT3 or BF2?
Epic moved UT3's login service to their servers. BF2 and a bunch of other BF games are dying. EA is being the worst on updating their games. They are letting dozens of great games die because GFWL and Gamespy are both dying in the next few months.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Epic moved UT3's login service to their servers. BF2 and a bunch of other BF games are dying. EA is being the worst on updating their games. They are letting dozens of great games die because GFWL and Gamespy are both dying in the next few months.

Well, UT3 still seems to work & for BF2 there is a couple of custom tools, one being a Gamespy Emulator, so I'll have to make that work.

UT4 available on Steam and independent of Steam seems to be the way to go to satisfy all parties.

But, please keep UT4 as far away as you can get it, from that Origin trash that BF3 and BF4 uses. THAT was the most horrible type of gaming platform I've ever seen from a PC game and if anyone thought the cheat protection in the UT series was bad, then you ain't seen nothing close to the likes of BF3 and BF4 ( and no Bot support in either of those games or ablility to run your own dedicated server on your own machine ) and EA Games has earned a big throbbing middle finger of defiance from a great many ( myself included ). Never, will I buy an EA game again.

People in the UT crowd may b!tch and moan about paying $20 a month for the Unreal Engine Tool kit, but you can cancel at any time and still continue to use that version of it & come back later and pay to update it.

Compare that to BF3 and it's DLC came to about 120.00 US dollars and since it's multiplayer only ( with a garbage single-player campaign ) and now has no replayability because the servers are all dead in the U.S. with BF4 being released.

Looking at it from that angle of how EA castrated it's BF series, Epic's decision to go about building UT4 with it's players, modders, mappers, etc. involved, looks pretty good to me, at least.

And UT4 will have replayability and Bot support ( I just can't fathom a UT game without Bot support) and since it is going to be free for the base game, then I don't mind shilling out some dollars for the Unreal Tool Kit ( if I want to make a map for UT4 ) and some extra content that may be worth the purchase.

So as far as Steam "being hot air or not", I'll challenge anyone to go try out that Origin trash and BF3 or BF4 for awhile and then come back and talk.

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Let me put it this way: If held at gunpoint and forced to decide between Steam and Origin, I'd have a hard time deciding between Steam and getting shot. But if the options were Origin and Uplay, I'd be dead.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
uPlay is a joke. Origin is alright since they're trying their (EA) hardest to mimic Steam; but the fact that Origin is backed by EA makes me avoid is like it's the Bubonic plague. EA has murdered so many great IPs over the years and they do not support games for very long.