TEXTURE UNIVERSE!!!!!!! Feedback please

• Thread starter Das Fragmeister
  • Start date
  • Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
D

Das Fragmeister

TextureUniverse.com is coming for all you map and mod-makers out there!!!!!

I'm developing a page right now that will include custom UT textures, as well as links to every texture resource on the web, including other art, artists, plug-ins, CD collections, Photoshop tips, etc....

I have my own *registered* copies of Dreamweaver 3 and Photoshop 5.5 now, so I'll be putting them to good use. I already have 100 textures waiting....

I'll have to figure out how the hell to pay for everything related to the site, of course, (like software and hosting, now costing me $1000 and counting...though I am using everything for other projects).
I'm open to suggestions...

So anyway...there will be free stuff on there for all to use...I anticipate having it up and running in 2 weeks....posting this advanced advert here will keep the pressure on me....

I'd be interested in comments, questions, requests and response....

-Scott
[MUTTS] Das

And here are some samples:
textures.gif

Let me know what you think.

Silencermvm2

Mar 21, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Sounds cool, I suggest adding/making tons of space related and nature related textures.

bullet2.gif

-------------------------
Silencer
UT CITY Webmaster
http://www.planetunreal.com/utcity/index2.html

D

Das Fragmeister

If everyone is interested, and I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU damnit... :) :) :)

Then start me on the road of exactly what you're looking for.

This is a *huge* undertaking. I will be taking a pro digital camera out this weekend and looking for hundreds of found textures to use as backgrounds for the textures I make. I'll be developing the site, coming up with packs, etc...

If someone knows of a particular artist....say, H.R. Geiger, that they like the style of, then turn me onto them.

If someone has specific textures they are looking for (i.e., types of space textures) lemme know.

Anything you'd like to see, like to have , would be great.

Also, I'd be looking for help from the PC-users UnrealEd angle for texture-realted tutorials., since I'm on a Mac and will only be handling textures from a JPEG standpoint.
Anyone that can write a tutorial of texture using for the PC would be welcome....

koolkat

May 26, 2000
Visit site
can u make me some camofladuge textures?please i cant find them anywere email me an let me know please
koolkat@area-net.com thx
KOOLKAT
p.s.Ohh yea im a pretty good artist getting rdy to go to colledge for art if u need help makeing textures i can help you...the only reason i havent made my own is i dont have any thing to make them with an dont have any idea what to use to make them...... :D

bullet2.gif

kool tha man

D

Das Fragmeister

Hey hey,

Koolkat....I made you a camo texture (I think it's spelled "camoflage"...I wasn't sure myself of the correct spelling :) ) before I went to bed tonight. I'll e-mail it to you...please just follow the condition of crediting me for the texture in the Readme (courtesy of...) and acknowledging that I retain ownership of the texture (my copyright). You have permission to use it in your map, though.

Enjoy!! :)

I hope the map turns out well!

Remember that this is a patterned texture, so it won't tile well over a large area (you'll see repetition of the pattern over a large area). It will be good for wrapping around objects though, and will tile seamlessly edge-to-edge.

It's a JPEG...you'll need to convert it to the proper file type. Good luck!

Scott
[MUTTS] Das

llama82

Jun 4, 2000
Sounds like a great idea, best of luck on it. Keep us updated!

(I'm not the greatest of artist myself but I've got some friends who'd be happy to help out. :)

D

Das Fragmeister

Yes, um, "camouflage." ;)

That's the problem with the web...you can plug the wrong spelling into a search engine and still get 100 results... ;)

Thanks for the supportive words! :) It helps me gauge how much interest is out there...

Scott

D

Dark_Outlaw

HEY DAS...yes i know i am shouting...I NEED SOME ROMAN TEXTURES AND I SUCK AT MAKING THEM...

anyone know where I can get Greek or Roman brushes or decor?

D

Das Fragmeister

Let me know what you're making and maybe I'll make them for you this weekend...

I'm looking for dedicated mappers, though. I can't work 20 hours on a Roman texture pack unless people will really use them effectively...but if you are serious, I'd be happy to help in any way possible. ;)

Lemme know!

Scott
[MUTTS] Das

D

Das Fragmeister

From what I know, textures can be broken down into 3 categories:

stand-alone

2-way-tiling (linear across a whole wall, tiles edge-to-edge)

4-way-tiling (can tile seamlessly forever in any direction)

Almost half of the textures I have are considered 4-way-tiling textures (for floors, ceilings, etc...), with the rest being 2-way (walls) and stand-alone (such as doors or flags).

So there should be something there for all....

Dark_Outlaw lPuFl

May 16, 2000
Raleigh, NC
DF, well, lemme put it to ya this way...

usually i split time 70/30 when i play UT...70% being playing the game, 30% unreal ed...

BUT

I have just moved and adsl access will not be installed for another month (old house that i am restoring)...and I tried on my modem last night and could only get 300+ pings...now coming from 50-100 pings...i can't adjust!!!

so therefore, until i get my adsl back...

i will be mapping 100% of my UT time (at least a couple of hours at night, lots on the weekends)...
and I am currently designing a temple valley (outdoor level)(have already built a collapsed roman temple brush (i can send it if you want proof...it is huge 3072 units tall)) but i need the textures (i am using forsaken textures now and it just doesn't capture the feel). plus, i need some detail in there that is particularly roman or greek, and it ain't happening in the defaults...

so any help i would really appreciate!

D

Das Fragmeister

I made a simple archway last night with a shadowed interior, with sandy-brown stone...

Tiled seamlessly, it looks very much like the exterior of a colisseum, without the small details. (column grooves, figures, etc...)

I will make a Roman texture pack, probably starting Friday night. My girlfriend and apartment-mate are away this weekend, so I'll have 3 days to make the pack and get the TextureUniverse site (with TextureFX.com as the alt adress) up and running. Hopefully I can do both. I'll send you updates if you e-mail me your address info to andrew77777@aol.com.

I'll check out some books on Roman architecture in Barnes and Noble today, or the library tomorrow... ;) ;) ;)

-Scott
[MUTTS] Das

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
I like :)

I would make a map if I had the patience for it but I always end up playing UT after hours of UEd.

BTW ;)I like the art of Olivia ;)

D

Das Fragmeister

As per Dark Outlaw's request...here's my first attempt at a Roman texture. I have it tiled on the left, seen in perspective, and the single texture is viewable on the right.
I can make a version that has cracks or one that looks more contemporary and does not.

romancolumnspersp.gif

Scott
[MUTTS] Das

PS- This texture is under my copyright and unauthorized use of this image in any way will bring seriously negative and unrelenting attention from me. Guaranteed. Use is granted by permission only. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Das Fragmeister (edited 06-08-2000).]