UE3 - GoW Kismet and outputs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'm trying to find a way so that when the said node receives one input, it can turn it into multiple ones with a delay (so it doesn't send them all at the same time) What I need is like in the picture bellow, don't mind the nodes chosen.

situationx.jpg

Here is what I tried (Second picture below), it seemed nearly perfect for the job, but it somehow seemed to refuse the active links variable output. Whenever I had it set to anything lower than it's total link count, it still outputted all of it's links.

situation01.jpg

Thanks.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
It looks like "active link" only refers to one of the links rather than many. So only link 3 will activate in the kismet you posted. Have you tried making 5 individual delays?

[SCREENSHOT]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3674/95920115.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Same thing but in a subsequence:
[SCREENSHOT]http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/1090/91502990.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It looks like "active link" only refers to one of the links rather than many.

Yeah. :hmm:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3674/95920115.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Yeah that's my old way of doing it. :) This time though I have a variable that is changed via user interface. Which means the number of output needs to be dynamic, that layout looks static.

Not really understanding what you're trying to do, but have you tried the Range action?

The range action is like my post for you. I don't understand it. And yes I've read that. :hmm:
I don't know how to word it better for you to understand, but I'm sure Hazel's picture will spoil it. :p

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I always had delayed output from every node outputs.. :confused:
BTW AM I tried and it didn't work. I really have no idea what this ranged node is meant to do actually.

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Hey, I think I'm getting at what you're saying Kantham. In programing terms, you want to spawn multiple threads in your script, except that rather than spawning a set number (which is super-easy to do) the number of seperate threads to spawn is dependent on a positive integer value that is set at runtime.

So basically, sometimes, you might want your one thread to turn into 5 threads, but sometimes you might only want your one thread to turn into 3 threads. Sadly, I couldn't find a way to do this for an arbitrarily large number of threads, but if you never need more than, say, 5 threads, you could just do something like this (naturally, you'd want to convert this into a subsequence with numberOfThreadsToSpawn as an external input variable):

multithreadedtrick.png

In this example, the sound will play 3 times because the variable numberOfThreadsToSpawn is set to 3. If you set it to 5, the sound effect will play 5 times, and if you set 0, the sound effect will play 0 times. Is this basically what you were after? :tup: ? :tdown:? ;)

Of course, if all you're doing is playing a sound effect, then a much better approach would be to just write a loop with a delay in it (because sound effects shouldn't be playing at the same time anyways), and use an int variable to count how many times you've gone through the loop, and exit the loop when you reach the desired number of sound effects you wanted played. :)

Well, good luck, I hope this is at least close to what your particular issue is...

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Hey N.

This is a compare int layout. It doesn't turn one input into as many output the variable says. Unless I really missed something.

Thanks.

Here, this is what I need. However, the int variable doesn't overwrite the count, so right now it's set to 6 since it's the max value the user can assing. It seems that the function is static as even though I give it 4 it still shots 6. WTF. :hmm:

omgplease.jpg

As you can see in the picture..

Last edited:

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Oh, Kantham, so what you're trying to say, is that you want a custom Kismet node that will produce as many output ports as you want according to an integer that you specify? In this case, I'm not sure you can do that without coding. Also, if the integer is set at runtime, how would you specify where the connectors should go while the game is playing? You can only set those in the editor as far as I know. I think what you might be trying to do could simply be impossible.

You definitely might want to look at redesigning your approach to use a loop like the one Angel Mapper demonstrated instead. I've found that having multiple outputs all running at the same time can be very shaky in UT3 :p. Like if 2 or more outputs land on the same node at the same time they'll often somehow recombine and become a single running action after that. It's not true multithreading.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks to everyone I have it sorted out now anyway. I simply used a different route for the same effect.
BTW I was using Gear's editor, so yeah I couldn't try AM's layout :p