UE3 - UT3 BSP to OBJ

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HamBone

CSG junky...
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto
www.gamethumb.ca
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is an easy way to export only a few BSP brushes to OBJ format? I wanted to use the BSP for reference while building meshes in 3DMAX.

When I select the brushes I want and try "File->Export->Selected Only...", there appears to be no BSP info exported in the OBJ file when I import into 3DMAX.

I can "File->Export->All..." from UnrealEd and extract the BSP info from the OBJ file in 3DMAX. This exports everything in the map making it nice and messy to clean up in MAX. I can also convert the BSP in question into a Static Mesh, export that newly made static mesh to OBJ and then import into MAX.

Is there an easier way of doing this that I'm missing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

HamBone

CSG junky...
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto
www.gamethumb.ca
Thanks for the quick replies guys. :)

Hourences said:
Delete everything you dont need - then export all?

Yeah, I thought about that too. I was just wondering if there was a quick and painless way of doing it such as only selecting the brushes I needed.

Wormbo said:
Ok, dumb question first: Did you actually select the brushes or just the surfaces?

I tried both, neither of the two ways exported any BSP info.

Vicious3745

Oct 29, 2008
If you have your grid spacing right, then you shouldn't have to worry.. Enable snap to grid, then make sure to set your grid unit size to 1, and set the grid spacing to eight. 1 unit in max and 1uu are the same, you just needa take measurements and rebuild the geometry you got if worse comes to worse.

Phill

Nov 29, 2008
The most common problem I've had with exporting BSP is exactly what you're describing. I don't know if there's some step I've been missing, but the best way around the issue I've found is selecting the relevant geometry and converting it to a static mesh.

Since that's what you're already doing.... yeah. That's the most effective method I've been able to use.

Last edited:

Vicious3745

Oct 29, 2008
why don't you take all the BSP in your map, export it to Utext, import the bsp into a new map, then export that map is obj? that why you have a clean map.

Apr 11, 2006
Click on a brush, right click and select all objects of type brush. Copy and paste into a new map file. Export to OBJ.