Those who have a (big) dog ...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Those who have a (large) dog ...

How do you manage combining this with your work, family life or single whatever, hobbies, location-space.

Just curious. How do you make it work?

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
the only people that I know who own a "big" dog have a relatively big house and/or yard.

managing a big dog is the exact same as a small dog except that everything scales up a little.
dog food is a little more expensive each week, exercise and walks last a little longer each day, toys are worn out a little faster, etc.

most people don't have big dogs because they don't have the room or space.
but it's not like they're any more work than any other kind of dog.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I currently live with a married couple and they now have a 60 pound Labrador Retriever/Poodle/Boxer/Rottweiler mix and an 80 pound pit bull. Those dogs require lots of exercise, especially the younger one (the labradoodleboxerotty). They are cool dogs, though. Roommates take them to dog parks when they can, but they both work and so do I so it is difficult to make time to do this.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
They need more exercise, so they need more walks/work.
If you're intending to put them in the yard rather than walk them properly then i'd respectfully urge you not to own one. It's not fair on them imo.

This. A million fucking times, this.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
How do you manage combining this with your work, family life or single whatever, hobbies, location-space.

Just curious. How do you make it work?

See below.

the only people that I know who own a "big" dog have a relatively big house and/or yard...

I have a fenced in back yard. He digs holes in my lawn, tears up the bushes around my deck, chases Squirrels through the yard, and slobbers all over my son. He has good life.

Given the heat in this state I have a all weather ceiling fan attached to a solar panel on the covered part of the Deck. I also have a 15 gallon tub full of water fed by a drip line to make sure he always has plenty of cool fresh water in the heat of the summer.

He is a black lab / basset hound.

They need more exercise, so they need more walks/work.
If you're intending to put them in the yard rather than walk them properly then i'd respectfully urge you not to own one. It's not fair on them imo.

This. A million fucking times, this.

The logic you two are basing this ignorance of large dog care off alludes me. They get more exercise in a yard (unless it is small) they run all over it too their hearts content. So unless you are thinking of some postage stamp...

Of course you should still go out in your yard and play with them. The interaction is good for both of you. But then that isn't so much about the exercise which is what a walk provides.

Edit: Lol, you quoted yourself...

Last edited:

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Get a yard with some running room, and a frisbee.

My dog is a medium/large. Pitbull mixed with what we think is Border Collie. Very active, yet very loyal.

Last edited:

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
I know there are lies, damned lies & statistics but statistically the average family pet is kept for two years.
Not bad if you're a Rat.
Also, the shelter's are overflowing so please do go there rather than supporting the continued exploitation of lives for money. :)

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
[GU]elmur_fud;2564998 said:
The logic you two are basing this ignorance of large dog care off alludes me.

I was pretty clear.

A lot, an awful lot of dog owners do not take proper care of them.
I work for and with a rescue centre, it is famously known that most people who take on a pet do not understand what they are under taking.

It should be stipulated and known as a FACT that large dogs require large quantities of exercise and if your interpretation of exercise is giving the pet the opportunity to run-around a garden and defecate in the chrysanthemums when and if it bothers to whine to go outside then I will say again... just don't own a dog.

Personally I walked my dog for 40 minutes to an hour minimum twice a day.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I used to own a dog when I was younger, about 20 years ago we used to have a border collie and she was a great dog but she was hard work.
I would never get another dog as a pet again though simply because they're high maintenance.
Size of dog does make a huge difference - owning a great dane is going to be harder work than owning a Chihuahua, although those yappy little things can be a pain in the arse as well, you can just pick em up and dump em on the treadmill.
Don't get me wrong, I love dogs - but even with my 3 cats, they're easier to manage, mainly because they can let themselves in and out of the house using the cat-flap, so they're out all day.
Only time they come in is for something to eat or to sleep.
Still a pain when me and my wife go on holiday though - my parents have to come over to cat-sit for a fortnight from the other side of the country, otherwise, we'd have to sort out holding them up in a cattery down the road (which costs a fortune)
Don't think I'll be replacing our cats once they're gone though - I'll be done with pets by then I think.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I was pretty clear.

A lot, an awful lot of dog owners do not take proper care of them.
I work for and with a rescue centre, it is famously known that most people who take on a pet do not understand what they are under taking.

It should be stipulated and known as a FACT that large dogs require large quantities of exercise and if your interpretation of exercise is giving the pet the opportunity to run-around a garden and defecate in the chrysanthemums when and if it bothers to whine to go outside then I will say again... just don't own a dog.

Personally I walked my dog for 40 minutes to an hour minimum twice a day.

Yeah well I have owned large dogs my whole life. All lived very healthy happy lives most of which were very long (the 1 exception being my first dog which was apparently bit by a poisonous snake). All have been strays, rescues, or adoptions from the pound. And I still think your off your rocker with your attitude that not walking a dog constitutes abuse even if that dog has a huge yard to play in. So you will probably flip your lid to find out that he lives outside. Sure if the yard is small or you only let the animal out to go to the bathroom it needs extra exercise. But In my opinion the same is true for all but maybe the smallest dogs.

1.2acres with right around two empty behind me.
67ji2a.jpg

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
And this coming from a scouser :)

It's that pretend English they like to speak.
How do you confuse an American?

• route
  • rout

Pronounce both.

Thank you and good night.

Not confused but thank you for playing... though my understanding of the English language is far above average admittedly and sadly. You could add root to that list but it's really all about context of the word in the sentence it is used in and/or pronunciation that is the give-away.

I wasn't aware that 'acre' would confuse anyone. Learn something new everyday.

1 acre = 4,046.85642 m2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acre

so...
1.2 acres = 4,856.22771 m2

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Thanks for the replies. I know that getting a dog would mean investing plenty of time, and when it comes to that it wouldn't be a problem.
(maybe easier said than done. Once the dog arrives, and the whole training-getting to know hm/her begins..)

Right now it's not really such a great moment to get one. Working full time would mean leaving him/her alone for nine hours/day. And there's no way that would happen.

Taking care of a cat is easier, yes. But I suppose even though most cats "want to left alone", that's not always true. They also tend to cling to you, especially my burmese, she really enjoy company. She's also quite bright. Read somewhere you can teach those cats to fetch. But she's too old for that now I guess. Nevertheless, she's the greatest.

I was just wanted to hear some life experiences, especially concering large dogs.

Space is an issue now, no large garden etc. So definitely no go. Getting a dog is a long term plan. But one that will be realised.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
lol - I work here, wasn't brought up here.

Sorry Fud, it's the actual wording of that sentence "1.2acres with right around two empty behind me"

Ah. Well I do apologize, I typed it rather hastily.

The large wooded lot behind my house is about 2 acres. My lot is 1.2 acres. I would love to acquire said 2ish acres but public records don't hold the info of who owns it. Also my existing taxes are $2400/year and the added land would up that by about $600. Which isn't in the budget.

It would give the dog and my son loads of playing room though.