Supressed 5.56mm- Way to powerful?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Well considering that hardly anybody is willing to play with realistic gun-sound volume for longer, you have narrow the gap between gunfire and everything else... otherwise you wouldn't hear anything but gunfire on 'family compatible' volume settings.

That's a point where I'm glad SS isn't sticking to 120% realism... no need to get deaf ahead of time ;)

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
gal-z said:
Second what?
I failed to understand your post :p
Anyway there must be a way to know exactly how much it reduces the sound. Also regular gunfire sounds should be much louder :p

it's not important, but just so you understand... you mentionned two "30 dB" ratings. On for the suppressor and one for the ear plugs. The "first 30 dB" is the first you have mentionned (i.e. the suppressor rating), the "second" is the second you have mentionned (i.e. the rating for the ear plugs).

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Well I never said make it proportional like in RL most of the time, but while u hear gunshots that their sound was reduced so they don't blow your ears apart, all other sounds should be reduced to be propotional to the gunshot sounds, meaning while sombody is shooting somewhere close enough for u to clearly hear the shots, you won't be hearing anything else, at least until the sound stops playing - IRL u also can't hear much when people are shooting around you.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Nukeproof, it's definitely possible to just have simulated dynamic audio range. Gunshots never get loud enough to deafen you, but they can be relatively louder to background sounds that get their volume turned down in order to simulate temporary hearing loss. Not doable in UT99, or at least only an idiot would try at this point, but it's a very viable model.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Scientificily speaking, one gunshot wouldn't make you deaf. But continious firing could result to a more permanent damage.
Anyway that's what they brainwashed us youngsters with, it might be true. :p

edit:
dammit I suck I just wanted to correct a small typo :(
Please remove the bottom post, mr. admin.

Last edited:

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Rostam said:
Scientificily speaking, one gunshot wouldn't make you deaf. But continious firing could result to a more permanent damage.
Anyway that's what they brainwashed us youngsters with, it might be true. :p