Comprehensive List of UT3's problems -- not bashing, just attempting to make a list

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I'd like to compile a comprehensive list of what was wrong with UT3 as it stands at patch 1.3 and I'll update my initial post to add content as people point out more of the issues. Once it's complete or mostly complete perhaps it could be submitted to Epic so that they can address all of the issues in the "major expansion".

My purpose is NOT to bash UT3 or to declare UT3 to be a bad game or a dead game, etc., so please don't hit that "Close Thread" button right away. Rather I just want compile a comprehensive list of what was wrong with UT3 (as it stands at patch 1.3) for informational purposes which Epic might be able to fix with the "major expansion".

User Interface: (In summary--replace the UT3 user interface with an improved version of the UT 2004 user interface).

Main Menu Loading -- having to load the main menu makes pulling up the main menu slow.

Lack of customization options for audio and video settings.

Feels "clunky" and sluggish and not fast and smooth.

Inability to keybind taunts and communication comments.

Inability to pipebind weapons (I like a rocket launcher/AVRIL combo).

Mapvote menu feels cumbersome and is very inferior compared to the current UT 2004 mapvote menu.

Inability to open up the server browser while being connected to a server (while in a game). You could do this in UT99 and UT 2004 but instead, in UT3 you have to disconnect from the server.

Lacks a built-in IRC client (which UT99 and UT 2004 had).

Allow people to play both online and offline without having to log in. (The only purpose logging in serves from a player's perspective is for keeping track of stats, friends, and friends' messages.)

Server Browser (as of patch 1.3)

Needs more filters.

Needs to treat different custom mods as separate game types and not as all of one single game type.

Consider dumping Gamespy and returning to the UT 2004 server browser (but never count bots or list bots as players).

Game Play:

Ability to Throw Weapons needs to be restored.

Either make Unlimited Translocator an option or standard (with limited as an option). This will help pull in more of the UT99 crowd.

Vehicles don't feel right for some reason and a first-person view is needed, especially for the flying vehicles.

Needs a server admin option to disable the Orb for Warfare (to make it Onslaught).

Consider adding a 6-rocket rocket launcher for those who want to play UT99 style.

Game needs more player skins. Still hard to distinguish between Red and Blue sometimes.

Colors of the game seem washed out and it's a little too dark though custom mappers could fix this.

Other:

The file structure is horrible. Need to get rid of the Application Data folders (if possible) and return to having one folder for Maps, one folder for Textures, etc.

The taunts are horrible. Get rid of almost all of the UT3 taunts and add the best of the UT99 and UT 2004 taunts.

-----------------------------------------

That's my take on it. I'm sure I've missed a lot and forgotten a lot. Please help me add to the list.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Probably, but I've never understood why it was necessary to have the "Cooked" and "Uncooked" folders, etc, when the easy-to-understand file structure for UT99 and UT 2004 seemed to work just fine.
Cooked assets basically lock down the map - I'm not sure exactly of the specifics - but supposedly it makes them quicker and easier to render, and smaller. Uncooked assets are basically raw assets that are easier to use, but bigger.

It might be more confusing for the end user, but in the end everything turns out okay.

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
go back to the 2 ini system please. Unrealtournament.ini and User.ini was soo easy to understand. Not this 1 million ini's just to figure out how to change my name lmao.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
So what if we dont agree with the ones you got? will you remove em if a majority disagrees?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well throw weapons does have the possibility for exploit, really weapon stay and weapon throwing should be one in the same, well atleast in my eyes.

I just dont see many of the actual problems with UT3 but more things you would like changed under gameplay. I would suggest you try to stay objective and not put things in because you would like them or because they would appeal to x-crowd.

Anyways I think a list like this is going to take alot more then a forum thread or two, what it really needs is a dedicated wiki page where things like bugs, exploits and additions all get there due attention :cool:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Instant Action doesn't save settings

No bot configuration at all, can't even configure the teams

Campaign makes no sense, plz fix :lol:

Tenebre

Feb 1, 2008
France
UT3 needs a true auto balance teams and a mix teams fonction when we switch map compared to the actual swap team request. Add a kick vote option too.

In vehicles, we need a first personn view and be able to select our view with the mouse wheel like in UT2004, it was perfect.

User interface has to be as good as the UT2004 one in all points: graphical settings, crosshairs choice, HUD, bots, server browser etc...

Have an official webadmin and anticheat could be cool too.

os][ris

May 10, 2006
Do we really need to have a thread for this? All you need to do is revert back to the 500+ page thread on the Epic forums of things that need to be fixed. I say "revert back to that list" because most of the problems weren't fixed from what I remember. This is just going to be a repeat of that thread not to mention continuing to beat a dead horse down to the molecules.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
User Interface: (In summary--replace the UT3 user interface with an improved version of the UT 2004 user interface).
In summary : not going to happen.(period)

Main Menu Loading -- having to load the main menu makes pulling up the main menu slow.
How many times do you actually *need* the main-menu during normal game ?
Answer : not at all

Lack of customization options for audio and video settings.
please define these 'options', because there's a detail-setting and we can even enable motion-blur.
Do we really need more ?
Too many options only confuse newbies and cause unforeseen problems.
Limited options keeps things easy and predictable.

Feels "clunky" and sluggish and not fast and smooth.
check your hardware, because it's pretty fast on my laptop ...
Or maybe you're so used to the 'floaty' feel of other games that this one feels 'slow'.

Inability to keybind taunts and communication comments.
That really is weird. It's almost as if they thought that everyone would be using VoIP.

Inability to pipebind weapons (I like a rocket launcher/AVRIL combo).
get yourself a keyboard with macro-recording capability ...

Mapvote menu feels cumbersome and is very inferior compared to the current UT 2004 mapvote menu.
again with the 'feeling' ... you can't fix a feeling.

Inability to open up the server browser while being connected to a server (while in a game). You could do this in UT99 and UT 2004 but instead, in UT3 you have to disconnect from the server.
And you would need to browse during playing why ?
I don't see the problem.

Lacks a built-in IRC client (which UT99 and UT 2004 had).
Two words : Gamespy Comrade.

Allow people to play both online and offline without having to log in. (The only purpose logging in serves from a player's perspective is for keeping track of stats, friends, and friends' messages.)
you can play off-line without having to login.
Having to login for on-line games doesn't seem to be that odd, besides you can set it to auto-login, which removes the need to remember your password.

Server Browser (as of patch 1.3)

Needs more filters.
Such as?

Consider dumping Gamespy
Keep on dreaming. Gamespy is here to stay.

Game Play:

Ability to Throw Weapons needs to be restored.
there's a fix/mutator AFAIK.
Besides weapon-throw is only useful with weapon-stay off.

Either make Unlimited Translocator an option or standard (with limited as an option). This will help pull in more of the UT99 crowd.
mutator ...

Needs a server admin option to disable the Orb for Warfare (to make it Onslaught).

Consider adding a 6-rocket rocket launcher for those who want to play UT99 style.
mutators are either available or can be made without too much coding.
Do we really need Epic for this ?

Game needs more player skins. Still hard to distinguish between Red and Blue sometimes.
/me thinks you are blind as a bat. It's freaking neon-glowsticks.
Or did you happen to disable postprocessing ?

Colors of the game seem washed out and it's a little too dark though custom mappers could fix this.
Postprocessing = Vivid. fixed.

Other:

The file structure is horrible. Need to get rid of the Application Data folders (if possible) and return to having one folder for Maps, one folder for Textures, etc.
disagree. It's about time games followed the Microsoft-standard.
This is the Microsoft-way. Love it or get Linux/Macintosh.

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
STUFF

The taunts are horrible. Get rid of almost all of the UT3 taunts and add the best of the UT99 and UT 2004 taunts.

That's my take on it. I'm sure I've missed a lot and forgotten a lot. Please help me add to the list.

this is ASSUMING that the "major expansion" is actually an big fix/patch and update to the existing game and not just an expansion... which is a big assumption (i'm hoping for it too, but...)

and on the taunts... what r u you listening to? imnsho the quality of the recording and the voice acting is way beyond UT99 and as good or better than 2k4 in most places...

the only thing that is wrong with the Voices in UT3 is they are not finished, dont always play correctly, have that ridiculous delay/priority system, are not customizable and there are too few of them :) (all of which i would of course love to be fixed!) ;)

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Yep, the Taunts in UT3 and UT1 are my favourite ones. Plus, those aren't going to be changed.

Last edited:

«MechikTaj»

lolol First blood betrayals
I agree with JaFo. Frankly, it seems people want Epic to change the game to satisfy their own likes. The problem is -Not everyone feels the same way about certain things.-

I can't stand the vehicles in UT2004; UT3's are way better including how they feel. Dodge-jumping is simply unnecessary in UT3. Six rockets seems more appropriate for the excessive mod; I mean come on, that's 600 points of damage! Weapon throwing is an exploit in Epic's eyes and since weapon lockers fully replenish ammo (unlike 2004) I don't think it's necessary. I like most of UT3's taunts and agree with UnrealGrrl's opinions on them. The team skins are way too saturated at too close a distance. And an unlimited Translocator would be horrible because all you'd see are blue or red blurs happening around entire maps. All these are my opinions and while obviously I'd like them to be in the game, it doesn't make sense to include them in a list of bugs or problems.

Now, adding the ability to bind individual taunts, piped weapon switching, access of the Server Browser while in a server, client-side demo recording, proper team balancing, improving the netcode, improving the vote menu, and adding the ability of kicking the Orb around to play soccer with it are all legitimate fixes and additions to include in a list, imo. :)

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I highly doubt this is a reason UT99ers aren't coming to 2k4 or UT3. Seriously, if this is your excuse ("your" meaning anyone who has this excuse), you really need to think of something better, because it's EXTREMELY trivial.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
I agree with JaFo. Frankly, it seems people want Epic to change the game to satisfy their own likes. The problem is -Not everyone feels the same way about certain things.-

...agree with UnrealGrrl's opinions...

Now, adding the ability to bind individual taunts, piped weapon switching, access of the Server Browser while in a server, client-side demo recording, proper team balancing, improving the netcode, improving the vote menu, and adding the ability of kicking the Orb around to play soccer with it are all legitimate fixes and additions to include in a list, imo. :)

amen and hallelujah sisters! ;)