What first person shooter games have bots and a map maker?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
Anyone who's played the fantastic (but sadly console only) Timesplitters games will know that they all had a built in map maker, a level creator that was easy to use and allowed you to make levels that you could then play in against humans and/or bots. The map makers weren't too powerful, as they favoured ease of use above power, but they were good enough to make reasonably varied and very enjoyable maps, and you could literally spend just a few minutes and make a map that you and a few friends would enjoy fighting in.

Sadly though, there aren't many games that come with map makers, and those that do often don't support bots, and I love playing against good bots. So I was wondering if there were any more FPS games that have map makers and allow bots to use the maps you make.

The Unreal Tournament games are the obvious ones, as they have (very detailed and powerful) map makers, and fully support (excellent) bots, but the Unreal map makers (or editors, as they are more correctly called) are complex to learn, and it takes time to do anything good with them, whereas I'm looking for something that's easy and fun to use, as the Timesplitters map makers were. The Far Cry games have map makers, but don't have bots, whereas Pariah had both but the bots couldn't use the maps you made yourself (!). I know that Doom and Duke Nukem 3D both have seperate map makers and also bots, but is there a mod for either game that gives you both an easy to use level editor and also bots?

Thanks for any answers.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Counterstrike is another big one that has an SDK and bot support. Quake 3 too. But they're both just as complex as UnrealEd.

I really can't think of any game besides Timesplitters that had such an easy level editor AND bots (and is an FPS game..).:(

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
http://sauerbraten.org/

"Cube 2: Sauerbraten is a free multiplayer/singleplayer first person shooter, built as a major redesign of the Cube FPS.

Much like the original Cube, the aim of this game is not necessarily to produce the most features & eyecandy possible, but rather to allow map/geometry editing to be done dynamically in-game, to create fun gameplay and an elegant engine. "

Wikipedia says:
"...There are also single player modes featuring both episodic gameplay and deathmatches on multiplayer maps with AI bots instead of human opponents."

Tutorial:
http://youtu.be/S8e96rE0ae8

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Far Cry: Instincts, for the consoles, was the last FPS game I know of to come out and provides an easy in-game level creator. I think Halo 3 (or one of the halos) had something too? I don't know because I didn't really play past the second one.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Most editors are full SDKs where you're using the same tools the developers did. The "add and move around prefabs" are the minority. Aside from what NRG mentioned the only other games I'm aware of that do this are one of the Tony Hawks or Skate.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Far Cry: Instincts, for the consoles, was the last FPS game I know of to come out and provides an easy in-game level creator. I think Halo 3 (or one of the halos) had something too? I don't know because I didn't really play past the second one.
Halo: Reach has an even more powerful Forge mode and I'm pretty sure Halo 4 has one too. But the Halo games don't have bots, and neither does Far Cry: Instincts.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Halo: Reach has an even more powerful Forge mode and I'm pretty sure Halo 4 has one too. But the Halo games don't have bots, and neither does Far Cry: Instincts.

Actually, Forge isn't a level editor as much as it is an item editor. If you want to see a recent map editor on the consoles, try Far Cry 2/3. Multiplayer's lackluster though.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Far Cry 3 if you want a kick in the face.

1) Multiplayer: Play your map with a minimum of 6 friends (GL HF) OR take it with the billion cheats online.
2) Singleplayer: AI implementation is there, but fuck you, you can't make use of it.

Aaaand 99% certainty on the fact that Crysis 3 won't launch with SDK/Editor.

Last edited:

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
You have the retail tactical ops, the game XIII, the game postal 2, soldier of fortune platinum edition, command & conquer renegade, nerf arena blast, star trek elite force I&II, Quake 3 (ID tech games uses an external editor)