Elder Scrolls: Skyrim [DARGONS EDITION]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Mar 6, 2004
Not ashamed, i never lost any sleep over it. As for my character? if she's sluggish when i play her, then she lost sleep over it.

I'm not even level 10 and I've already made enough so that I could buy a house. It really wasn't that difficult as long as you scavenge and make use of your companion as a pack mule.

Same. Bought a place in Whitrun. Did it at level 9 and accomplished this simply by roaming the world and finding crypts and dungeons to raid for loot. It helped that I ran into a few dragons along the way. Dragon remains and Mammoth tusks fetch a lot (though I hang onto the scales).

Since I played the standard route as a Nord I'm rocking it mostly barbarian style, so the biggest issue I have fighting the dragons is that they really have to land for me to really engage them. But once they touch ground...

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've created a mage that has +290% stacked magicka regen with the apparel I have equipped. Normal time it takes to recharge without the regen: 30 seconds, time with the regen: 9.5 seconds.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I've created a mage that has +290% stacked magicka regen with the apparel I have equipped. Normal time it takes to recharge without the regen: 30 seconds, time with the regen: 9.5 seconds.

Sucky part about magicka regen is it doesn't seem to do jack in combat. :/ I've got about the same regen. Thinking about enchanting some new gear that just reduces cost for destruction spells; much more combat-effective.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
is there anyway (on PC) to set the time between autosaves?

I'm at the very start doing the Golden Claw and get all the way down and find myself dying (run out of potions and don't have heal equipped) when I get to the bottom. If I had an auto save every 5 mins it would help a lot as I keep forgetting.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
what's to forget??
quicksaving is like the easiest bullshit in the world and one of the greatest advantages to PC gaming over consoles.

it's not hard really.
once you've cleared a room or two, just press F5. I'm sure there are several things you do after each encounter (drink a potion, go around and loot) so just add one little keystroke to your routine. eventually it will become a habit, you'll do it without thinking and never again have to worry about being set back by an untimely death.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I'm now level 34 (I think.) It just keeps getting better and better as you go on. Here's some things I've learned that might help the rest of you.

*Go ahead and enchant your primary weapon(s) with Soultrap, one second duration. You'll see why you're doing this in the next tip down. Find (or buy) a lot of empty soul gems and keep them in inventory. Why only one second, you ask? Well, you can maximize the number of charges in your weapon, and almost everything will die within one second of you striking the final blow. Additionally, you should disenchant every magical item you come across, both to learn their enchantments and to increase your enchantment skill. If you've already learned the enchantment from a particular magical item, sell it so you can buy more empty soul gems :D

*Now that you've done that, here's how you can potentially make tons of gold while quickly upping your smithing and enchantment skills. Find (or buy) lots of Leather and Iron. You can buy Iron Ingots and Leathers from blacksmiths, or you can hunt game and mine ore out in the wilds. Use a smelter to turn Iron Ore into Iron Ingots, and a tanning rack to turn pelts into Leather. Once you have a good number of both, do this:
  1. Make Leather Strips out of your Leather stock at the tanning rack. If you have 60 pieces of Leather, then take 20 pieces and make Leather Strips out of them. This will give you 40 pieces of Leather and 80 Leather Strips.
  2. Make lots of Leather Bracers at the forge. It takes one piece of Leather and two Leather Strips to make a Bracer. Alternatively, if you have a lot of Iron Ingots, you can make lots of Iron Daggers instead. They require one Iron Ingot and two Leather Strips.
  3. If you followed my last tip you should have lots of filled soul gems by now. Enchant all those Bracers or Daggers with the most valuable enchantments you can give them (you'll see the future value of an item after selecting everything at the Enchant station) and then sell the whole lot. You can easily make a few thousand gold a day doing this. Note that if you bought all the raw materials you'll probably just break even, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than skill training.

Here's some more general tips.

*When you have a companion helping you, point the crosshair at them from a distance and hold your 'Use' key to issue quick-commands. This is great for getting them to quickly pick up lots of items out in the field. Also, companions can hold an infinite amount of weight, but you must make them pick the items up as I just described. This means you can take your housecarl into a Dwemer ruin, point at every piece of metal on the ground, and come home with 1,000+ pounds of smeltable Dwemer metal.

*If you use Light Armor, craft yourself a full set of Dragonscale. Then, upgrade the set to Legendary and watch the stats nearly double. To craft a Legendary Dragonscale set, you'll need 100 smithing skill, the Dragon Armor smithing perk, 19 pieces of Dragonscale (14 to build the armor, 5 to upgrade) and some Iron Ingots and Leather Strips. To give you an idea of how awesome it is, my armor rating is 390 with the full set equipped. The value of the entire set is something like 7,200 gold.

*For you Heavy Armor peeps out there, a full set of Legendary Daedric armor beats a full set of Legendary Dragonplate by ~20 armor points. The Daedric set can also be crafted at a lower smithing level than Dragonplate armor. A set of Legendary Daedric armor is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 gold; even for Light Armor users, crafting a set to sell is a great way to make some quick gold.

*Legendary-grade Daedric weapons are arguably the best craftable weapons in the game. As a reference, the one-handed Sword does 50 base damage while the bow does 59. I kill most humanoids in one shot with the bow, even without the sneak attack bonus.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
eventually it will become a habit, you'll do it without thinking and never again have to worry about being set back by an untimely death.
This. I didn't even realize the game had quicksave at first. I forgot to use it a lot once I saw it but, eventually it will become compulsive, especially if you're kind of a perfectionist.

If you insist on changing the autosave frequency, just change "fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000" to whatever in the skyrimprefs.ini. I'd recommend not changing it because there has been a few times I did a series of actions that I regretted and my last quicksave was far too recent. The fact the game remembers two autosaves helps me retract any actions I regret from a half hour ago or so.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I now have all of the houses except for the one in Windhelm, and I am here to tell you that the Whiterun house is the actually the best one. It's close to the fast-travel spawn point and there's enough storage in the right locations. If only it had an enchant table...

The Markarth house is probably the best one as far as storage and extras go, but it's a crumbling Dwemer ruin. Who the fuck wants to live in a crumbling house? Not this motherfucker!

The Solitude house costs around 35,000 gold after all the upgrades. It seems like a bit of a rip-off. As grand as it is, it only has ONE storage container in the basement, which is where all of your important shit is.

The Riften house is great for the money, but it suffers from the same problem the Solitude house has; not enough storage in the basement.

I hope the Windhelm house makes up for all of this. Otherwise, I eagerly await the Creation Kit so I can fix the Solitude house and add proper storage. Or maybe I'll mod in a magical tent you can carry around and setup anywhere. That would be kind of awesome.

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Also, companions can hold an infinite amount of weight
No. At least not Lydia. When I trade stuff with her, at one point it becomes impossible to give her heavy stuff. But together we can definitely carry around 7 bars of solid Dwemer metal, which is 35 ingots.
As an alchemist however, potions are so heavy and come too often. D: I frequently need to clean that inventory out.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
"got" this game. Mostly because I didn't like oblivion at all, and was 90% sure that this game would give me the same impression.

seems like no ! I'm really enjoying it ! I'm only level 5, but I'm starting to get hooked. maybe I'll get it on steam for Xmas (along with plentymore games).

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
No. At least not Lydia. When I trade stuff with her, at one point it becomes impossible to give her heavy stuff. But together we can definitely carry around 7 bars of solid Dwemer metal, which is 35 ingots.
As an alchemist however, potions are so heavy and come too often. D: I frequently need to clean that inventory out.

facepalm.jpg

Mar 6, 2004
DarkED those Iron Daggers are actually only 1 Iron ingot, and 1 leather strip, instead of 2. I'm a mage but my smithing is level 52. I'll be leveling as much as i can in everything. I too wish there was an enchanting table in my house. Perhaps someone will make one in there via mod? I'd get that mod for sure.

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Finish reading the sentence you quoted...
Oh, right. Well it might be a bug and get patched... If it counts for anything I posted early in the morning last night :p
Also dual wielding is totally broken if you upgrade your weapons, because the favorites and hotkeys no longer work properly. I hope that does get patched.

EDIT: Well I tried DarkEd's method of picking stuff up by having her pick up 24 iron ores that I had dropped... I had only one when I went back home. I don't think I'll be using it again.

Last edited: