CoD 4 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
3 Things

1. The game stutters every 3 seconds.
  2. Punkbuster has kicked me out with the following reason - "Unallowed drviers/program"
  3. How you play windowed? [ALT]+[ENTER] doesn't do the trick.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Kantham what the hell? This is the CoD4 1 thread.

But yes, you're right, windowed mode doesn't work for CoD4 the first one. To activate windowed mode you need to first enable the console, type in the parameter to activate windowed mode in the console, then restart Call of Duty 4 within the console. I think there's another way of doing it too but I"m too lazy at the moment ot look it up.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Kantham what the hell? This is the CoD4 1 thread.

So I'm wrong for posting in the correct topic is that what you're saying? I'm confused..

But yes, you're right, windowed mode doesn't work for CoD4 the first one. To activate windowed mode you need to first enable the console, type in the parameter to activate windowed mode in the console, then restart Call of Duty 4 within the console.

Yeah fair enough, I thought it might be doable in the console, I guess I'll google it up.

Anyone has an idea for the stuttering issues? I'm curious..
Also, MW2 has been crashing my PC quite a few times this past week. I'm wondering if it's either PSU/GPU overheat issues, or simply driver related issues. With COD4 acting up like that, and MW2 having the same kind of stutter issues (however, much better) I'm starting to think it's related to driver issues.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
My apologies Kantham.. I thought you were trying to post in the MW2 thread but then I realized that bringing up the windowed mode issue is a COD4 1 issue. I just forgot to delete the first part of my reply is all. My brain didn't catch up to my somatic responses in my fingers. ;)

EDIT: smal grammar errorz

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Soooooo

I downloaded the latest driver, and the game still stutters, and punkbuster still kicks me out with this "disallowed driver/program" crap.

Solutions?

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Hmm, I don't have any problems with stuttering, but I also get that disallowed driver thing sometimes. It stopped after I shut down all my programs running in the backround. I've always had problems with Punkbuster though. :(

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well ok, I use punkbuster for BC2, and don't have any issues with it. Just with COD4.
Maybe it's the COD 4 PB version.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes.

Also, the game take up to 70-90 seconds before getting in the menus
This is a well known bug between the Steam overlay and PunkBuster. EvenBalance is aware of the problem and refuses to do anything about it. Yet one more reason why EvenBalance is the worst company in the world and PunkBuster is easily the most horrible software ever created. Unfortunate that ANY game gives them any credit as it is possibly the most hackable anti-cheat in existence.

Anyway, here is the related thread.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149028

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I had missed your post. Wow, that is unbelievable.

I had started playing again, guess what happened on the 5 Punk buster servers I've tried on?

[screenshot]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3508/fckingsigh.jpg[/screenshot]

I swear. I'm never buying a Call of Duty game ever again. Specifically not on PC.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
So I'd just delete the PB folder and try to manually install it or something? Anyway I'm sure your post was aimed at Vitamin, Steam doesn't like PB.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
So last night out of some miracle it decided to work when I deleted the PB folder and completely re-installed with their auto-updated thingy. Now I boot the game again and I get the disallowed driver/program. What's the catch? I don't get it.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So last night out of some miracle it decided to work when I deleted the PB folder and completely re-installed with their auto-updated thingy. Now I boot the game again and I get the disallowed driver/program. What's the catch? I don't get it.

I think the catch is you need to go back and read that thread talking about steam and punkbuster not liking each other so much. Uninstall the game, reinstall it using the disk and don't integrate it with steam. If you don't have a disc copy, well guess you have to grin and bear it.