Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Knowing - 9/10

Only took a point off because of the cliche crazy-person-writing-stuff-down thing, but other than that I couldn't find any faults and after the movie gets past that point it's a completely different, in my opinion, enlightenment-like experience. For me, the outcome of events was pretty clear from pretty early on but that didn't detract from the movie at all. I was kind of questioning if they would really go "that way" instead of conforming for the mainstream, but they did not disappoint. I loved the religious overtones, it reminded me of Evangelion and imo stuff like that adds to storytelling instead of just having a generic explanation* cause it makes you wonder or think about things beyond the obvious. (the obvious being the events that actually happened in the movie)

generic aliens

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Mister Lonely: 7/10

A great concept (a commune of celebrity impersonators with an Abe Lincoln that curses incessantly) that was unfortunately mired in silly plot problems. Character did things out of character/for no reason, problems were invented/ignored for little to no reason and the side story of the nuns, while amusing, was really just a wild tangent that didn't really fit. Too bad.

~Jason

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Watchmen - 7/10

I honestly thought this was gonna be a really bad movie, but it actually was kinda entertaining. 1 Month before this movie showed for the first time, I had absolutely no idea that there even was a comic bock series called "Watchmen".

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
the transsibberian - 9/10
some nice twists and woody harrelson is great. horrible torture scene though.

Thinking back to it I really liked this movie. I only gave it a 7 but still that's pretty damn high by my standards. The girlfriend of the crazy dude was really cute too.

I Love You Man - 8/10

Top notch comedy, good as it gets. What more needs to be said? You know what it's about, now go watch it in the company of good friends and enjoy a bunch of laughs together. :D

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Revanche. The Austrian entry for Best Foreign Film of this year's Oscars. It's good, with some excellent acting by the lead Johannes Krisch and shots that capture the loneliness inherent in all of the characters very well. 8/10

Week End. By far the most difficult Godard movie I've seen - a near complete deconstruction of film and extremely rich in symbolism. Interesting, challenging and very enlightening (I was googling all the way through in an attempt to understand most of the references), but far from enjoyable. Which is the entire point, I suppose. From a technical standpoint, the panning and tracking shots are amazing. 7/10

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Iron Man-7.5/10

This flick certainly doesn't have the depth of social commentary that other recent pulp (Dark Knight and Watchmen for instance) can deliver. It certainly got swamped on cinema release by other films like the Dark Knight as far as comic book crossovers go.

That being said it's a fun super guy film which seems reasonably faithful to the comics and the TV cartoon series (as far as I can remember).

It was just as good this time around on the second viewing.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Spiderman 3: 7.5/10 Second viewing.

Feels the same as the first time I watched it. Not necessarily a bad movie but... too much content to be processed. Most of it happening/passing by way too fast. Some characters die which shouldn't have...

Isn't there supposed to be a fourth movie ? Oh, we'll see. Perhaps they can introduce the lizard this time, and have him decapitated by a truck at the end of the movie.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
The Great Buck Howard - 9/10

This is a new film (well late 2008) but seems relatively unheard of. My on demand movie service had this for free in HD the other day so we watched it. I hadn't heard of it, didn't know what it was about but saw that it was starring John Malkovich so that's enough win for me to try.
I was pleasantly surprised too, this was a really well made, funny and compelling movie. It chronicles the life of The Great Buck Howard, played by John, who is a mentalist and not to be confused with magician. He used to be famous and had appeared on the Tonight Show with Carson many times. But now his career is on the B-list and he performs in small theaters traveling on his own.
The guy is quite an enigma and Malkovich is suited perfectly for the roll. It's an aging legend story but not like "The Wrestler" or something, it's a comedy first... "dramedy" if you will. Buck Howard is attempting to perform a record-breaking trick in order to get his career back in the spotlight one last time and the plot revolves around this undertaking.

Great acting, direction and story. By the end you'll love the characters and really be fascinated by Buck. What makes this even more enjoyable is that you find out the whole story is actually based on the real-life antics of The Amazin Kreskin. So a lot of the major plot points are true(ish).

2mpjslv.jpg

35jf2tj.jpg

:tup:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Serpico. Now, if this wasn't based on a true story I'd complain about the "lone wolf going against (nearly) everyone else"-cliche, but apparently, that's more or less how things really went. Pacino's performance is fine, and his character (again, based on reality) definitely more interesting than the police officers you usually see in movies. 8/10

Kill Bill: Vol. 1. I liked this better in my second viewing. It's got an abundance of style - and pretty much nothing else, which is my only (and minor) gripe with it. 9/10

Kill Bill: Vol. 2. The second part does have a number of other interesting aspects - the scene where The Bride is buried alive comes to mind immediately - but at the same time, at least compared to the first movie is lacking a bit in the aesthetics department. 8/10

Sedmikrásky. Too playful and dadaist for its own good, or maybe just for me. It's crammed to the brink with symbolism and meaning, and cut up by experimental everything. As a result, the movie has a very high artistic value, and should be seen for that reason alone, but doesn't work as a piece of entertainment at all - something I personally believe to be quite important for the medium film. 6/10

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Serenity: 8/10

I can't deny having enjoyed watching this movie, because it's right up my ally. At times I became truly absorbed with the whole mess the main characters were thrown into. But the ending left me feeling a little empty. Certain moments were a little too dramatic, and it didn't feel quite the same as the first and only seaons of Firefly did.
Which is imho still one of the most special SF shows I've seen so far.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
12 Angry Men. Nothing short of brilliant. It's amazing how the actors, writers and the director could develop and present twelve very distinctive yet believable characters within one and a half hours. The way the viewer is - parallel to the jurors - confronted with a case that seems entirely clear-cut in the beginning and then imbued with growing doubt to be convinced of a completely different solution in the end is also remarkable. 10/10

La Chinoise. This didn't appeal much to me, for the simple reason that I'm not particularly interested (or well-versed) in the subject matter. The only scenes I could appreciate was the talk between Veronique and the philosopher/professor on the train and the interviews with Henri, the one student that's estranged by the fanatism of the others. 6/10

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Last House on the Left (2009) - 7.5/10

I really liked this one, the acting was definitely up there for a horror film and the reactions to the horrid, and I mean HORRID events that happened seemed to be genuine.

Of course the main subject of interest in this one is the rape scene, which is indeed gritty and real, but avoids perverted shots and nudity. Still though, it's enough to make some people walk out of the theater, or so I've heard.

The vengeance that gets unleashed in this movie is spectacular. I love the whole role reversal with the good guys being the killers and the bad guys being the victims.

Definitely not a deep film by any means, but for what it is and what it set out to do, it definitely succeeded.

Oh and might I add that I was disappointed that they didn't include the creepy version of Sweet Child O' Mine in the actual movie. It was a nice touch in the trailer.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Still though, it's enough to make some people walk out of the theater, or so I've heard.

I can imagine that if you've ever been raped or assaulted or been very close to someone who has, that a realistic and gritty portrayal of a rape onscreen would be enough to make you wanna' get up.

Movies have a powerful affect on people who can relate to what's happening in them. Remember how, when Saving Private Ryan was first being shown in theaters, there were WW2 veterans who had to walk out during or otherwise couldn't bear to watch the Omaha Beach scene?

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I can imagine that if you've ever been raped or assaulted or been very close to someone who has, that a realistic and gritty portrayal of a rape onscreen would be enough to make you wanna' get up.

Well yeah that would be a valid reason to leave, but I don't think the majority left because they've been raped. A lot of people just find it too disgusting or disturbing to handle. And that's fine, but please do some research before seeing a film. Prior to this film being released there were a million threads on imdb about the rape scene alone. Hell even the public television commercials showed the girl lying on the ground with a guys hand holding her face down.

Actually I can't believe the stupidity of some people. This couple in the theater I was in said "I wasn't expecting that, I thought this was going to be like the Haunting." WTF?