UT2004 vs U2 multiplayer patch

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
If legend really wants to turn unreal2 into something playable into what it was supposed to be I do not think multiplayer is the answer. If this game is to be what it was supposed to be the only thing that will do it is to make a beatifull game that emerses you like nothing before. That is what unreal is about that is what unreal2 lacks that is what will make this game great again.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
I think we should forget about Unreal II totally, it's an unsightly blemish on the Unreal name and is best forgotten. Hopefully in a few months time people will refer to it as:

"You know, that game with the really nice graphics....uh....'The Reality of Falling Asleep' or something wasn't it....?"

:lol:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Nothing will ever beat 'the first time' (period).

People that were expecting to be just as suprised/stunned as they were when they started Unreal / Wolfenstein / Doom / Resident Evil / whatever game was their '1st' that made them say 'wow' are deluding themselves if they think they could ever get that same feeling again from the same franchise.

Just like Phantom Menace wasn't quite the same as the original Star Wars.
Just like Reloaded didn't quite have that same awe-inspiring feel that 'The Matrix' itself had.
That's not Legends' fault ...that's just human nature.

MP isn't going to magically add any 'lost' sales, because MP never salvaged anything. It didn't cause people to suddenly Deus Ex. Simply because only a few nerds ever knew the patch / rereleased version had the MP-features tacked on.

MP is overrated & overhyped anyway, because unless the game suddenly becomes as popular as CS (or any of the other top 5 mp-games) there's no way you'd be able to find a decent server anyway.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
I personally think U][ has lots of great elements. It just never really coalesced into a satisfying game. It would be a shame to discard all those great things (models, animation, weapons, effects, lighting, environmental stuff) just because the game as a whole didn't make you happy.

I think if some other company had released it under some other name, it would have gotten rave reviews, but it definitely had the Phantom Menace living-up-to-the-past curse, and like that movie, spent way to much time dazzling us with details than on enrapturing us in its gameplay. Well, sel la vis (or something).

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Unreal 2 is a great game. I really appreciated the graphics, it was very well designed from a developer standpoint.

I really want to see multiplayer for the game, I think it will aid the currently waning Unreal community. Also I would like to see it because I'm sick of seeing UT2003 getting all the damn attention.

KJAX

Gamer 4 Life
A_Rimmerlister said:
Perhaps they're planning on adding a random-SP-mission generator featuring those attack/defend-style scenarios from the main game ?

Or perhaps it's just the return of the Nali Warcow (& a few U2-specific models/weapons)to the UT'03 arena ?
The original gametype might also be done as a partial or total-conversion for UT'03.

At least IMHO developing a MP-feature for U2 is a lot of effort, unless they had kept it in a separate source-tree just in case they wanted to add it to the U2-codebase.

If a MP-feature is made then I do hope they take care of the bots as well.

If I understand correctly, there was a cheat or something you could access in the game that had bots in it. It sounds like the bot code had already been put into the code before they finally decided not to have the multiplayer component. Therefore, I believe the bot code is encapsulated into the current U2 coding just waiting to be used.