Loadout: Deserving of a Romp?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've just started downloading Loadout, which looks like a hilariously insane game on the surface, because of the weapons creation feature, and may have lots of depth to it. What are your experiences with it?

The only thing that's put people off so far has been server issues, but that's probably because it only just launched on Steam not too long ago. I don't know much else about it.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Now that you can actually play the damn thing it's actually worthwhile if you enjoy FPS tournament games. Theres something available in the game for most people who like particular style of play. It's a decent mashup of different games from the past like UT and TF2.

Last edited:

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I've heard good things from friends, going to give it a whizz next week. My only issue with it is that it's free to play (aka free to pay).

You don't have to buy anything as long as you don't care about changing outfits and other unimportant things. You can upgrade weapons for free. It's based on performance, not money.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
You don't have to buy anything as long as you don't care about changing outfits and other unimportant things. You can upgrade weapons for free. It's based on performance, not money.

Sure, if you want to grind - otherwise you can buy boosters to earn that "performance based currency" twice as quickly. Typical free to play FPS :p

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I just think it'd be nice if you could buy more loadout/gun slots with absurdly large amounts of blut. Something like 500k Blut for a loadout slot, 250k for weapon slot
If you snatch the Absolute Badass bundle, 32k Spacebux, 2 week of XP/Blut boosts, and some skins. That 32k SB can also get you the 4 loadout + 8 gunslot bundle

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Internet soon followed suite:

NSFW...
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3AI5u8aUCA[/M]

Somewhere out there, a video game developer was paid good money to make that animation.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The in-game store items are a HUGE waste of money. I don't see how they can monetize this game.

The game itself is quite fun. I've played it several times and done well. There are always people playing, which is a big bonus.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
The game is great fun!

Other that the initial server issues that are being worked on and actively fixed, i don't see how anyone can bash this awesomely fun yet simple game. Developers seems very active and have lots of plans too! :tup:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I gave it a proper spin last night. It's an entertaining game that has a reasonable amount of polish. My main issues with it were that:
a) It has no depth at all; it's too simple. I think I'd get bored of this game quite quickly as I'm already beginning to feel like I've seen all it has to offer in a coupe of hours of gameplay.
b) The game modes don't work very well, except for the deathmatch spinoff where you have to pick up the vial to score/deny points for the kill. This lets down the game a lot, because if the base rules don't work, the game doesn't work.
c) Balance is fucked due to the weapon system and made worse by the free to play system (YAY, PAY TO WIN). I'm level 2, played against a level 6 player - we weren't evenly matched. He explained how he was better equipped in the lobby between games: The guy had a recharging shield giving him a massive advantage over me in terms of hit points and had pumped all his earned currency into a rifle, putting it all into damage and a spooling mechanism. He'd bought a bloot booster but not an XP booster, so even though he was level 6, he had the kind of equipment that I wouldn't earn as a free player until level 12. Result? He has more hitpoints, which regenerate over time, higher rate of fire, and a each shot does quite a bit more damage as mine :/

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
The CTF and control point variants are nice, although in Annihilation it becomes pretty obvious from the beginning who is going to win (especially after the health/shield/slayer upgrades start getting stacked).

The Deathmatch variants are pretty boring.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Shield adds 33 health and takes 1.75x damage from Tesla rounds. The only time I use my shielded loadout is for that initial mexican standoff, after that it's the tesla launcher and grenades.
Also, the boosters don't make Loadout p2w, just like every other f2p game that has boosters, they're "pay to progress faster"

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
the boosters don't make Loadout p2w, just like every other f2p game that has boosters, they're "pay to progress faster"
It depends on what "progress" means. If you get better gear and stuff by progressing that makes you near invincible for people starting out, that pretty much is pay to win.

With this game I'd be fine just staying at the low levels with the starting weapon stuff. It's probably more fun there.