Defence Alliance FilePlanet Exclusive

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
We received word today from the Defence Alliance mod team that they are beginning to make plans for a release:

Well, after a long break of summer for most of our time we are back on track to release DA2.

We are in the process of completing our GUI system that is totally custom and will make the game look and feel better.

The team has probably decided to firstly release Defence Alliance 2 Beta 1 under the fileplanet exclusive section and then a week after a full public release.

We will be releasing more info soon!

SyK0

Feb 1, 2004
damn i think they should use FileFront so much better then FP has waiting lines but half the time theres no lines..... anyways looks like i will be installing UT2004 again :D cant wait for this mod :rockon:

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
beefsack said:
is it a restriction of being hosted at planetunreal or is there other incentives?

According to thr RO team they have gained a lot of players after their FP exclisuvies because of the massive advertising they got from it.

Look at the tiny rests of the UT2004 community that know about these mods anyways... ...some advertising outside the community will help a lot then.

But the posters above me don't care for that as they are sooooo shortsighted that a mod is only good if they can immediately dl it.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

beefsack

the authority in beef
Nov 22, 2002
Canberra, Australia
beefsack.blogspot.com
its not talking about quality though its the principle of the thing, like its more important for them to get the big support from gamespy rather than getting it out to the fans, and while im gonna play it on its merits a week after its out, i can completely understand if some of the ut fans will give it a miss

@SyK0:

the thing isnt that it will just be fileplanet, but it will only be available to paying subscribers for the first week. anyone correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure thats what happens with exclusive releases.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
So what ?
It's only an effing BETA

I think compared to the kind of public that advertising on BeyondUnreal or the Atari-forums gets the Vileplanet-exclusive is certainly a good deal.

I just hope the team does realise that the kind of public they will attract with the exclusive does not have the kind of patience for bugs, unbalanced gameplay and missing features that real fans have. So releasing a beta to these guys (and girls) is going to do more harm than good.

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Guys, please this will not turn into a flame thread. Lets put some facts down, UT2004 community does not have a good reputation of playing mods even though most of them (mods) are super high quality and great gameplay - look at RO.

A week more to wait will do nothing to the rest of the public and will hopefully attract more people to play our mod that we worked hard.

So please dont turn this into a flame thread. Patience and thank you.

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
It's an unfinished beta. Why should anyone outside the community care?

Even if this tactic does draw more players, there is no long term success. Look at Red Orchestra. I can count on one hand how many servers exist for that mod, minus a finger and a thumb. At least they had something finished and solid to play before making the ridiculous gamespy debut.

I for one will pass on this mod.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Mad Max RW said:
It's an unfinished beta. Why should anyone outside the community care?

I for one will pass on this mod.

Why should we care if you pass on this mod? Any relevant reason you posted that info?

Just wanna know if I am missing something important from your post...???

Majai

Aug 18, 2004
Mad Max RW said:
Look at Red Orchestra. I can count on one hand how many servers exist for that mod, minus a finger and a thumb.

You better mean 8 hands because RO has at least 40 servers online. They might not all be packed all at once, but 40 server admins feel that RO is good enough to spend money on.

I have been waiting for this game to be released i will be putting a server online for it.

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Unfinished beta or not, this will not change our plans. I have talked with some FilePlanet people and they can host some servers for us as well.

Mad Max that is your decision and there is nothign we can do about it.

Last edited:

Yoshiro

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
Good for you guys and your wonderful boycot. You will not be missed.

I understand that your upset at a valid advertising tactic to a team with few ways to inform people outside the unreal community about their said mod. The Unreal fan sites reach a few thousand players (sorry BU if I am cutting you short, I don't know your true statistics and I love the site :)) that still play Unreal Tournament 2004 (many have moved on) and even fewer of them play mods even though we have many fine ones out there. Alien Swarm, Air Bucs, UnWHeel, Red Orchestra, Frag.Ops, and even more still on the way such as Defence Alliance and Tac Ops.

Like it or not FilePlanet reaches millions of gamers. End of story. (and it looks like they are also loaning them a few servers)

Also, those who want to host a server for the mod should get in contact with the mod team on their forums or elsewhere. They will soon be able to point you where you need to go :)

Last edited:

Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive - President
Aug 9, 2004
www.tripwireinteractive.com
fuegerstef said:
According to thr RO team they have gained a lot of players after their FP exclisuvies because of the massive advertising they got from it.

Look at the tiny rests of the UT2004 community that know about these mods anyways... ...some advertising outside the community will help a lot then.

But the posters above me don't care for that as they are sooooo shortsighted that a mod is only good if they can immediately dl it.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yoshiro said:
The Unreal fan sites reach a few thousand players (sorry BU if I am cutting you short, I don't know your true statistics and I love the site :))

Yes, considerably, but that's okay. :) We've always served up more Unreal files than even sites like FilePlanet, but it all gets back to the original point of wanting to reach an audience other than the core Unreal Tournament audience. I understand that.

There are lots of angles to this, and the mod team can hardly be faulted for trying to do what it believes will benefit its effort the most. Sure, it puts off some fans and it would be nice for mod teams to think of the Unreal news sites that work very hard to promote the modification while places like FilePlanet sit silent. But the bottom line is that some mod teams feel like the hardcore Unreal gamer isn't supporting them by trying out their mod.

In an ideal world, news sites and mod teams would support one another because of the undeniably large numbers of hardcore Unreal players who played modifications. The reality is that some mods appeal to gamers who have Unreal* lying about somewhere in their PC and aren't really involved in the day to day happenings of the community.

I wonder then, is mod news worth reporting to Unreal fans?

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
I'd love to try this mod but downloading >anything< off of FP is nothing but grief.

As soon this mod is available in a place where it can be downloaded publicly/properly it would be a good idea to notify BU/PU again so those of us interested will download it. (EDIT: IMO if it's just a FP exclusive it need not even be news for the moment)

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
hal, very well said. I agree on your point regarding the "Unreal* lies about somewhere".

FilePlanet will just throw in a bunch of people in our community that most of them will leave or delete the mod after... What we are trying to do is catch the ones that will stick with the mod. People who had an UT2004 copy lying around somewhere will finally put it back on their games list.

Then the die-hard unreal fans will join in and maybe we can finally get a mod that is supported, well known and can actually stand a chance.

There is seriously nothing against the Unreal fans. Besides, we have had some talks already but nothing is set in stone, especially the 1 week delay for the public.

A bunch of mirrors will be available for the mod so no worries about only FP mirrors.

Last edited: