CTF-Rollercoaster

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Originally posted by Freakish
Looking very nice!!! There will be more than one way into the castle, right?

3 ways in, 3 ways out, from any location. That's still my goal, but I give no guaranties! ;)

So...how close are you to finishing? ..I wanna ride the coaster some more..hehe.

OK, let's see what we have right now:

• A blue base (inside the titan's stomach)
  • A red base (the castle on the rock), however the interior still needs a lot of work before it can be connected to tunnels
  • Halve a 'relay station'; blue part is finished, red part doesn't exist yet, and I don't like what is now the center part
  • One tunnel from the relay station to the blue base (The Big Jump)
  • Halve a tunnel from the blue base to the relay station (The Looping)
  • A NEW outdoor setting containing the titan, the looping and the big jump (should later be connected to a canyon)
  • A skybox (not the stupid sunset, but mountains at night)

So I still need to work on the castle and the relay station, and also there are practically no tunnels yet. Just parts of the map floating around in 'solid space', waiting to be connected. :rolleyes:

Although done as a newbie, the red castle is pretty decently pathed, so there's no need to totally redo that. With the addition of the castle, CTF-Rollercoaster has grown to a size of 5.2MB. Note that CTF-CastlesOnTheRocks (the map from which I ripped the castle) is almost 11MB, so I've only imported a small part of the map into CTF-Rollercoaster. It's a shame I had to take out the secret route to the flag to make it fit in CTF-Rollercoaster :(; it was really cool! Maybe I should upload CTF-CastlesOnTheRocks somewhere so you can all have a look at the castle as it was supposed to be....

BTW Freakish, can I just upload a new beta version of CTF-Rollercoaster at SDP and put a link to it here so you people can have a look at it and share your ideas? The map is too big now to attach to this thread... :hmm:

Freakish

Speed Addict
Dec 23, 2001
Visit site
Yeah you can upload beta maps. I think they get deleted automatically after 30 days. There should be instructions in the Submit Maps feature..but I think the only thing you do differently is change a pull-down box to Beta from Completed. So..yeah upload the new beta! And if you don't want to upload what you have of Castles as a finished product, you can call it beta too and upload it just so people can see it.

It sounds like you're really making progress! Hehe..and reusing stuff you've already made always helps speed things up. All I can say is that it's going to be a lot of fun when you're finished..and keep up the good work. :)

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Originally posted by Luggage
Yeah, cool idea! :) But I was actually thinking about the transitions between walking / tunneling :) Like an intro / outro sequence in the tunnels.

Nah I don't think that'd work... :hmm: You see, for each interpolation path I have to make a special detour for the bots. If a bot starts a flyby, UT crashes. :mad:

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
I don't see why it's a problem. You see, you have tunnel entrances and exits right now, have ya? So you just add flares to them and make them look like a real transition - so the themes don't change abruptly.

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Originally posted by Luggage
I don't see why it's a problem. You see, you have tunnel entrances and exits right now, have ya? So you just add flares to them and make them look like a real transition - so the themes don't change abruptly.

Aha! All the time I thought you wanted me to make short interpolation paths at the tunnel entrances/exits! :B

Flares, yes! Of course! Lots of 'em! Just like in ExtremeLab and EndGame. Also DM-Synapse very nicely uses flares in such a way.

But it may take some time before I actually add those flares... First I'm doing all the geometry, then I'll do all the cool effects.

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Originally posted by Freakish
Yeah you can upload beta maps. I think they get deleted automatically after 30 days. There should be instructions in the Submit Maps feature..but I think the only thing you do differently is change a pull-down box to Beta from Completed. So..yeah upload the new beta! And if you don't want to upload what you have of Castles as a finished product, you can call it beta too and upload it just so people can see it.

:mad: I installed the latest version of Java VM and uploading at SDP works now, but instead of going to step 2 I get another error message! I'll e-mail MadMikey once more and see if he knows what could be wrong...

I wanted to upload a new beta version so you could all ride the new looping flyby, but for now I'll post some pics.

Hmmm maybe it's better this way..... :p The new beta also has the castle, which is looking very bad right now. I had to delete a quarter of its brushes to make it fit in CTF-Rollercoaster, and I haven't replaced them with new suitable ones... I don't want you guys to see my precious castle in such bad condition! :rolleyes:

Freakish

Speed Addict
Dec 23, 2001
Visit site
Too bad about the upload problems. :mad: MadMikey's helpful though....you guys will probably figure it out. Screenies look good!!!

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Originally posted by TheRealFluffy
500 poly's in view... ****... I think I'll upgrade my Pentium MMX 233Mhz with 3D Blaster Banshee.... what about a Shiny new AMD Athlon XP 1,5Mhz with Geforce 4 Ti200 or how are these babies called?

LMAO :lol:

Don't worry about the polycount in that pic man!

It's just the looping; there aren't gonna be any combat situations in that area. You can't even aim when riding the rollercoaster. So the high polycount will not affect gameplay! :p

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
He he... the trick is to make ppl wait as long as possible to they start longing more and more for the map... :p;):D

I uploaded CTF-Rollercoaster_b11 at SDP, because it's too big to attach it here.

If your name is PeaceKeeper, click here to download the map... ;)

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
OK, about the new beta:

We have a new titan terrain + longer looping flyby. The trigger for the flyby is under the blue flag. The only way yet to get inside the blue base (if you're red) is through the titan's mouth. There's a temporarely teleporter in the 'relay station' to start the jump. The jump is much longer now, so I had to 'recalibrate' the Kicker. It's not perfect yet, so keep that translocator ready! ;)

We also have a red base; the castle. If you want to take a look around, do so; but please don't think this is how it's supposed to look! I've deleted a lot of staircases and passages. So if you're wondering how to get the red flag; you can't! At least, not yet. :eek: There's very little left of the flow of the castle, and there's also almost nothing left of the 'secret' basement (which will totally disappear eventually). The only reason there's still a piece of it left, is because of the handy 'secret' lift which takes you all the way up to the room in the highest tower. Now I think of it that's actually pretty pointless, because I've deleted the floor of that room, and the staircase below it... :rolleyes:

Anyway, have a look around and please share your ideas!