Grrrr!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
This is making me sick!
The first pic is dandy, the next are the problems. Usually it only happens 2/7. Last night it happened 5/7!!
Didn't do it w/ resolution of 640/480. Switched to 800/600 and it does this. Don't want to switch back, any suggestions?
good.jpg

bad1.jpg

bad2.jpg

bad3.jpg

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Hmm, how old is your monitor?
I once had the problem that the farther anything to the left side of the screen was, the smaller was it (vertically compressed).
I then figured out that this only happened at 640x480 @ 60 Hz...everything else is fine.

It could be a driver problem, not sure about this (what's your vid card?)

Loibisch

Does it happen instantly during play or only when switching resolutions?

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Comp age: 1 yr

Vodoo Banshee APG

UT defaults to 640/480 but I find running it @ 800/600 doesn't reduce fps (anything over does).

Never had prob w/ lower res.

Got some suggestions @ UT board, trying those. Then again I haven't updated my drivers since I installed Unreal about 1 year ago.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Ok, then it surely isn't your monitor ;), didn't know that...

I've actually no clue, but you could try to install the newest drivers...

Loibisch

Sometimes the Banshee had problems with some games...try the newest drivers, no other idea here :(

spajdr

May 15, 2000
Visit site
you didnt write if you use Glide renderer, but if yes try this. Open you UnrealTournament.ini file and do search for RefreshRate, then change 60Hz to something bigger, like 70,72,85 maybe it will helps.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
I'm all out of luck. It's very strange it almost seems like a heat issue beacuse the longer I play the less often it does this.
Then again it might just be me.

I guess that's what I get for running it above te required specs (but don'we all?)
UT operates smoothly if not eually now as it did w/ the default settings.

DOH!

I just remebered 32bit color (for some reason) it not availbalbe in UT. I might try changing my desktop to 16 bit (grr).
Then again this never happened until I changed the resolution (in UT) from 680/400 to 800/600.

spajdr

May 15, 2000
Visit site
did you have passive heatsink + cooler on your graphic card ? is your case open or closed ? maybe its a heat issue really. In my country temperature goes higher every day.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>It's very strange it almost seems like a heat issue beacuse the longer I play the less often it does this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shouldn't it do it "more often" when overheated (--&gt; longer play)?

Loibisch

Maybe it was only a little mistake of you, so sorry for correcting it and showing how much better than you I am ;)j/k.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Well, I am a little bit o' fanatic when it comes to UT.
I het home from work, I do my chores (blech!), rest a little, then about 12am I play UT until about 4am.

The reason I said it might be a heat prob is this seems to happen less as the day goes along.

So far I've tried everything and now the pictures look the same w/ the exception of:
no more colorful weird lines, it's now black.

Looks like I'm going back to 640/480

BTW: recoding demos works fine but playing back other peoples demos:
they run as if the game speed was bout 75%.

P2, Vodoo Banshee, 64MB RAM

Game plays excellent, just bad .bmps