UE3 - UDK Question about FireOffset function?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Salzel

Sep 5, 2013
I read documentation about "FireOffset" for the Weapon class and have a simple question:

Are the units in Unreal Units? For example if I set the x-axis to be delayed by "5" is that 5 unreal units?

Thanks for the help. I've tried testing this myself but I can't tell if it's unreal units or not just by looking.

Apologies if this is supposed to be in "Programming" instead of "Coding"

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
FireOffset is not a function, but a variable. Its documentation states: "Holds an offest for spawning protectile effects."

A simple UnCodeX full-text search reveals it is being used in two general places. One determines where to display the muzzle flash effect and the other determines where to spawn the projectile. Both transform the FireOffset value from local camera space to global world space coordinates, so yes, this is in Unreal Units. (The engine doesn't know any other kind of unit for positioning.)