Unstable motherboard? Check for bad capacitors

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Since about September I've been having a problem with instability in the form of lockups and random reboots. The problem occured most frequently after I started the computer if ti had been off long enough to cool down to room temperature, so I knew it wasn't heat related. During the last week the problem has been so bad I ended up pulling all the cards out of the computer and break it down to a video card and hard drive to make sure it wasn't a PCI card or IDE device causing the problem. I even swapped out the video card thinking there was a possibility it could be the problem. It came down to the point where the problem was the motherboard or CPU. I was ready to swap out the Athlon for a Duron I have sitting around to see if that was the problem when I noticed the capicitors around the CPU look like they are ready to explode, and a few have started to leak at the top of the canisters they are in. I looked it up on the net, sure enough this appears to be a major problem.

Just wanted to give everyone notice, if you haven't heard already.

If you are having random reboots, crashes immediately after the computer reboots, and random stop errors pointing to random drivers, take a look at the capicitors. Bad capacitors will give you symptoms very much like a crappy power supply. The problem capicitors are in all kinds of things, so expect to see a lot of electronic toys quit for no reason.

Now I need to decide if it is worth replacing the capacitors.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Feb/bch20030207018535.htm

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/