UT2K4 Demo out

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Eh, guess I'm the odd man out. Played it with bots, and I wasn't too fond. Hopped in to an online game, and had the time of my life. We destroyed the power core at the last second of the countdown... pretty tense :)

Beppo: Try going for one of the Official Atari servers up top. Takes a few tries to get in, but at least for the one I was on, there was barely any lag at all. I didn't feel it at least.

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
LifesBane[4C] said:
We destroyed the power core at the last second of the countdown... pretty tense
For the record, the game doesn't end with the countdown - instead, both power cores start slowly losing power. The game continues until one of them is out.

Bh

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I want to say, "Am I playing the same UT2004 demo as you guys?"

Assault is friggin awesome. Action packed and rockin all the way. Come on...Come on!!! You drive your assault buggy up to a armored convoy...break in, bust through, blowing up walls everywhere, ride a scripted vehicle across while laying support fire down, worm your way through enemies and defensive turrets, to swipe those missile-things. :eek: Awesome. Instead of the "touch-and-race-to-the-next-point" capture points of the old asssault, they went with the "wait here for five seconds" method. That ensures that either 1) All enemies in the are are destroyed, or 2) you've got lots of backup and temwork going on. Anyone can pelt a guy standing still with a single rocket and stop it, even if they have a bad aim :D

Onslaught looks to be the real shiner for UT2004. The vehicles are enormously powerful, and rightly so. A vehicle should not be able to be taken down by weaponry designed for dealing with humans. That's why the included the anti-vehicle rocket. One or two well placed shots from that weapon and bye bye enemy vehicle! It even locks on, so you just have to get *close*. I personally love the point capture system. I don't mind that you can't capture any point in any order...it means you have to work together and 'push' forward. Push, huh? Yes, push! It's a vehicle based multi-path push system. Very very damn skippy. I've seen matches swing back and forth so many times that I believe anyone can win, if they coordinate themselves well enough.

Some of the other playermodels that they show in the loading screens look really interesting, and I can't wait to see what else they dished up. They've arranged them in groups again, instead of one big long list like before. The memu in general, while still not UWindows, is pretty good. The music even sets the right tone again, making it feel a bit more like UT. Did I mention voicechat? Text to speech? Voice recognition? Awesome.

My only gripe is that if I buy this, I'll be buying a whole lot of really good new stuff...as well as re-buying UT2003. :con:

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Bhruic said:
For the record, the game doesn't end with the countdown - instead, both power cores start slowly losing power. The game continues until one of them is out.

Bh

Aww, really? Well, it made it seem like a sweet victory at least... oh well :p

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
Ok, played for about 5 or 6 hours straight... Onslaught of course.
Three guys and me owned the server and all these noobs were not really playing as if they would know how to play this game. Many even did not notice that it was a team game... but after being TKed by someone they shot at they started to learn it the hard way. Funny thing is that many rely on their shooting skills instead of grabbing the vehicle next to them to simply crush tehir opponent. I did this all the time and so died not as much as others actually. I was more than 90% of the time the top one player in my team and many times even the top ranked one from both teams. And at the times the three or four of us managed to be on the same team the enemy was crushed within some minutes. Some players realyl don't understand how important it is to use the link guns to speed up the build process or to even link several link guns to not loos any 'ammo' (power) and speeding up the building even more. Once some guys learned this the matches got really good (if these players were on your team actually). I really don't get those kids that fire into your back cause you got the vehicle before them, or that jump into the vehicles to fly across the map and noone building up the own power nodes. Anyway... I had fun ;)

If you see someone with the name Wakalukapuku then say hello... cause that's me ;)

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Beppo said:
Some players realyl don't understand how important it is to use the link guns to speed up the build process or to even link several link guns to not loos any 'ammo' (power) and speeding up the building even more.
I've seen a team build 3 nodes before the other had even built one at the begining of a match.
The building times and the power code hit points seem to vary depending on how many players are on. I think it's a very interesting idea : tup:

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
You think that's bad Beppo? Last 3 games I played, I spawned closest to the Manta, so grabbed it to rush to contruct the first node. Every single time, someone on my team shoots me in the back with the flakgun to try and stop me from getting in the thing. Now there's some teamwork for you. :rolleyes:

Of course, we still won, and I was on top (scorewise) every time. People just don't seem to understand the concept of "step on node" and "use alt-fire linkgun on node".

Bh

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
I've played around with the speech recognition bot orders, and it's quite effective and useful. Fun too: 'Everyone jump', 'Everyone dance' ;). They're got communication sorted out very well, which will be a great bonus to mods such as Red Orchestra and... whatever the inf team do.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Crowze said:
I've played around with the speech recognition bot orders, and it's quite effective and useful. Fun too: 'Everyone jump', 'Everyone dance' ;). They're got communication sorted out very well, which will be a great bonus to mods such as Red Orchestra and... whatever the inf team do.
Can you give orders to individual bots that way?

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
you give orders to 'groups', such as alpha, or charlie. So far, i've seen them quite strangely organized. I had two alpha, one charlie, and one delta on my team.

[edit]apparently i am not faster than a speeding bullet. Instapost.[/edit]

=CreepingShadow=

Apr 5, 2001
Chicago
archive.org
...still playing the demo...(this thread is about the demo isn't it?)

I can just imagine the flying craft being apache's, the vehicles being M1A1 tanks, the anti-vehicle rockets being AT4's or RPG's, huge online battles with "nation" against nations and clans, epic war campaigns, etc., and...great framerates, gameplay, options, all INF goodness. The future looks bright.

Last edited: