Who here knows how/wants make a skin for me

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Thrawn needs to do some searching on the internet so he can make team skins for the renegade retard skin and also make new models too. You go Thrawn! :D

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
To make skins for 'Custom' models the model maker has to provide a separate skin file for you to access. It's not in the skin files where you can modify it like your standard skins. iirc.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Hanover_Fist said:
To make skins for 'Custom' models the model maker has to provide a separate skin file for you to access. It's not in the skin files where you can modify it like your standard skins. iirc.

I don't even know how to do that. :(

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
spineblaZe said:
I don't even know how to do that. :(

Easy.

To make some goofy nOOber skins:

Disk 2 (I think) Edit: disk3 has "UPaint" on it, install that first.

Patch "UPaint" with this:
http://www.beyondunreal.com/dl.php/official/ut2003/upaint-patch-1.0.2.exe

Once UPaint is installed, go to: File > Open > Program Files > Right Hemisphere > UPaint > Characters (they will be .upp extensions)

Pick one and save it as 'mahnooberskin' or something similar...

UPaint is very similar to MSPaint, but a little more cumbersome.....you'll see what I mean.

Once you're done nOObering it up with spray paint....

File > Export Character to Unreal (this will take a minute or two cause it has to create a bunch of files...)

Fire up 2k3 and your nOObie skin will be in the character browser....

Edit: I fished around for some racecar textures but I couldn't find any good ones :( , I used the kevlar from a car skinning site to cover some of the parts on my first noobie skin. The Racing skin.

Importing textures is a pain in UPaint though, I had to mess with it for a week to trick it into importing textures. It's difficult to make a pro skin in UPaint, you need a better program if you want something REALLY nice.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
there is a VTM on Maya on 3dbuzz right now. Hedge is going through it. Doesn't cover teamskins afaik, but still a good way to learn some modelling techniques in PLE.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Sir_Brizz said:
there is a VTM on Maya on 3dbuzz right now. Hedge is going through it. Doesn't cover teamskins afaik, but still a good way to learn some modelling techniques in PLE.

got links for all those acronyms?

I'd like to read some of it. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Last edited by a moderator:

Thrawn70

Hang-around
Jun 11, 2002
Unknown Regions
Visit site
Well as you have heard, I've finished the RenegadeRetard skin, but I lack proper photo-editing software, so my attempt on your skin will be an almost purely Upaint pursuit. I advise others to try their hand at this project as well, but I will try anyways after finals week.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Renegade Retard said:
Maybe someone can give Webby's Gene Simmons a shot!

I'll spray up a model in UPaint that will resemble Gene Simmons, but it's gonna look really bad. Really Bad.

A guy at work hooked me up with Maya, because I really was going to take a stab at that Gene Simmons model, but I just don't have the time to learn how to model let alone paint something that will look halfway decent.

But if Webby wants a noobie skin to wear, just say the word.

Maybe I'll paint a Gorge skin to look like Gene.

picsimed.gif