Unreal Engine 4 for $19 a month

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Numb51

Feb 3, 2008
Ambershee, I'm messing around with the blueprints "MyProjectile" components tab, and I'm trying to change the sphere static mesh being spawned into a destructible sphere static mesh I created previously. Why won't it let me do this? Is it just not possible in the engine? It would look extremely cool to see my projectile burst into pieces using pure physics instead of via an animation.

EDIT: Nevermind i figured it out. I love this shit haha

Last edited:

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Because most of the time, dev teams and/or publishers are so busy with what they're currently doing that they forget all about their past games. Some of them do remember once in a while of course such as Raven Software who somewhat recently released the Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy source.
Let's not forget that opening the source code or/and making Unreal/UT free has some implications relative other parties, such as Steam for example, who still sells the game (along with some others).
So in order to do that they would have probably to allocate at least 3 people: a lawyer, an executive and a developer to handle that (I think, don't quote me on that).

Furthermore, given their excuse of not opening the engine until a few years ago, that excuse is still quite valid in what concerns at least UE3.
But, the fact that Epic made this move with UE4, certainly makes the opening of UT/Unreal more plausible than before, and yeah, they wouldn't loose anything at all with it, as no one in their right mind would try to bring UE1 to the level of UE3 or even UE4 instead of using UE3 or UE4 directly, the amount of time and effort simply wouldn't pay off, and that's probably even why Epic is betting in this new model, they know what they have in hands and the fact that no one else comes even close to them in this kind of technology.

Still, many would be very happy if they made UT free and open source (one of those is me of course, I would be overjoyed).

I just don't go ahead with UE4 right now for my own stuff (yet) since from the description the whole thing is still it's early beta phase, to not mention that it needs a beast of a machine to handle it properly, at least for now, other than that, I am really looking forward to the next developments concerning UE4.

Last edited:

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Ambershee , are there any decent resources out there for a total n00b like myself?

$20 a month isn't much and there are ideas I'd like to try out with UE4 but wouldn't know where to start outside of the Map Editor.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Keep in mind you can cancel anytime and still use the engine. You won't get updates or support, but if a particular version is suiting your purposes, you can simply cancel until you are ready for an update. You can just pay $20 now for access, cancel immediately, and never pay another dime (unless you release a product).

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Keep in mind you can cancel anytime and still use the engine. You won't get updates or support, but if a particular version is suiting your purposes, you can simply cancel until you are ready for an update. You can just pay $20 now for access, cancel immediately, and never pay another dime (unless you release a product).

I read that yesterday and almost couldn't stop myself doing it.

Wonder if we could a BU series on using UE4…

UT2kxPartyBoy

Third world user
Jul 13, 2008
Pergamino
pabloperugino.com
Well, I think we kinda already knew that. So, guys, do we have enough people with enough time to make UT4? Wouldn't that have a great ring to it? UT4 by BUF.:) Or we could get a bunch of guys together from various forums and call it the UT4 Development Team. I would only be able to review and look at stuff though.

I was proposing the same thing because of this . . .

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Number one annoyance (and the annoyance was the same with UDK), they have no way to allow you to release modding tools with your game unless you get a custom licensing agreement (probably a no royalty license) or make modders buy the engine themselves.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Number one annoyance (and the annoyance was the same with UDK), they have no way to allow you to release modding tools with your game unless you get a custom licensing agreement (probably a no royalty license) or make modders buy the engine themselves.

Isn't the idea though to allow small time devs the chance to make games at a low cost?

Obviously if you were making a smash hit and you wanted modders then you'd come to terms with a custom agreement, but then what work would you have to put in to make your game moddable without releasing source code?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Isn't the idea though to allow small time devs the chance to make games at a low cost?

Obviously if you were making a smash hit and you wanted modders then you'd come to terms with a custom agreement, but then what work would you have to put in to make your game moddable without releasing source code?
I don't know for licensees. But having custom content in your game is becoming a big deal, especially with Steam Workshop making things so easy.

So, yeah, but it seems like Epic should have worked harder to figure out a way to support this without requiring modders to buy an engine license (which wouldn't necessarily guarantee compatibility unless they let you download every previous engine release).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Been playing with the editor and such tonight. It's actually really cool what you can do. I think they really improved on Kismet, Blueprint makes a lot more sense and is a lot more powerful.

Also, visually the engine is just breathtaking. The sample levels are incredible. Hopefully I won't get neutered for this. :p

[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/3TV6vmO.jpg[/screenshot]

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
The quality of this engine is actually a little surprising considering some of Epic's recent past decisions and projects. Really glad they've stepped up their game. (pun intended)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
In that scene, all the little ships are moving. It's a really cool effect.