Killing Floor Summer Sideshow Event

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Once again, Tripwire Interactive comes through with another highly entertaining and free update to their massively fun Killing Floor. The Summer Sideshow event drops June 30th, runs through July 22, and consists of thematically re-imagined enemies, new achievements, a new map, and a new unlockable player skin. The Christmas Event they ran for Killing Floor in 2010 was spectacular and from the looks of the trailer below we may be in for a real summer treat.

Offered alongside the update detailed above will be a new character pack (read the quip below). These typically run a couple of bucks and are more of a way of allowing you the option to support the development of the free content. This one looks especially interesting:

in keeping with the whole Victorian-era, freak-show theme, we thought we would go all Steampunk, with a Steampunk Character Pack. This time, our artists have taken some of their favorite perks and re-imagined them as Steampunk heroes. So now you can have the Berserker, Firebug, Medic and Sharpshooter - all in a way you've never seen them before!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2521416 said:
That man monkey thing looks incredibly lame. Otherwise this looks cool. Though not my style of game gameplay wise.
I think it's supposed to look like the clapping monkey toy that famously freaks out certain types of people (including my sister-in-law).

attachment.php

Attachments

• monkey.jpg
    monkey.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 835

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I got that impression also, but that one is mono-tonal almost and it's facial features at points resemble silly putty. Plus it should be a monkey not an ape. So small fast moving and eratic. It would be much more of a challenge then a dude in a bad gorrila costume. Hooray for mediocrity.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2521446 said:
I got that impression also, but that one is mono-tonal almost and it's facial features at points resemble silly putty. Plus it should be a monkey not an ape. So small fast moving and eratic. It would be much more of a challenge then a dude in a bad gorrila costume. Hooray for mediocrity.
It's a new model, skin and voice for an existing enemy and not something entirely new. They've done that with all of them. It was quite entertaining and effective in the Christmas update.

Remember... this is a free update, the event runs for a limited time, and it is coming from a very small developer who's also finishing up Red Orchestra 2. They didn't have to support the game at all, but they have and they've added a tremendous amount of content for free.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I am not trying to knock them or come down on the awesomeness that is free stuff. Though that may be how it sounds, I am sorry about that, I really love free addon packs.

I meant that if that was indeed the goal, as was my impression along with you, they probably made compromises with the original idea of it being a creepy clapping monkey. As that would have required new animations, models, and probably code of some sort to augment it's actions. It could have been an awesome enemy but it is what it is and in my mind a mediocre one. Though if I were in the same place I may have made the same concessions.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I appreciate Elmur's honesty. People shouldn't be scrutinized for saying their thought, as long as they're reasonable about it -- I'm talking about the tags, not hal or anyone :)

</morality-police>

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
[GU]elmur_fud;2521502 said:
I am not trying to knock them or come down on the awesomeness that is free stuff. Though that may be how it sounds, I am sorry about that, I really love free addon packs.

I meant that if that was indeed the goal, as was my impression along with you, they probably made compromises with the original idea of it being a creepy clapping monkey. As that would have required new animations, models, and probably code of some sort to augment it's actions. It could have been an awesome enemy but it is what it is and in my mind a mediocre one. Though if I were in the same place I may have made the same concessions.
It's not just the code and animations that would have to be made from scratch, but the whole balance of the game should be thoroughly tested. Slight balance changes can make or break a game like Killing Floor.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
It's not just the code and animations that would have to be made from scratch, but the whole balance of the game should be thoroughly tested. Slight balance changes can make or break a game like Killing Floor.

Point is conceeded obviously. The other way just seems like it would be so much more.. er.. awesome. I tend to be a devil for the details. In my own stuff especially, it's why I have never released my old 3Dbuzz 'make something unreal' contest map, my rig locks up when i try to build it and there are a few areas to finish yet.