UT3 DM-Devolve(Beta)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Devolve5.jpg

How about that for a compromise? It's now very difficult to fall down so i think it's the best of both worlds. I'll upload this version so that you lot can tell me what you think. Aside from this area does anyone have anything to say about weapon positioning?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The issue is that area needs to be a normal part of the level with good flow even though it's risky rather than this pit of despair. That can't happen without two exits -- a ramp and the lift. The pit just complicates things unnecessarily.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Well you cant blame me for trying :D

I'm in two minds about this. I could put in a ramp to give players a choice of escape routes. I agree that would be best for flow as it would still be a risky area to be in.

The pit however is a hazard that needs to be avoided. And it can be avoided easily as long as you keep it in your mind when you move around that area.

Arg! I'll have to have a think about this one. Thanks for commenting guys, it's much appreciated even if it is giving me a head ache :D

Atm i'm planning on adding the ramp whilst keeping the pit. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a shot as far as i'm concerned. Have you had a run around the map? It's very easy to avoid the pit now so im surprised there is still opposition.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Atm i'm planning on adding the ramp whilst keeping the pit. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a shot as far as i'm concerned. Have you had a run around the map? It's very easy to avoid the pit now so im surprised there is still opposition.

I checked it out, but it still doesn't feel right. I liked the floor. Pits of death = no good, IMO. Complete floor, plus the ramp, FTW! :)

[edit] The discussion over at UNA: http://www.unrealna.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1001

Last edited:

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Complete floor, plus the ramp, FTW! :)

Ok, ok, how can i resist that smiley of yours. I'll fix it up tomorrow; put the floor back in, add the ramp again and see how it feels. Check back tomorrow!

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The site you uploaded to is having troubles at the moment.

My issue is it's not just a hazard to avoid -- it's an integral part of the level due to the way things are set up. It's a random kick to the bollocks of Mr. Flow. Would you like it if on Sentinel there was a random hole in the floor by the amp or belt?

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Ok, ok, how can i resist that smiley of yours. I'll fix it up tomorrow; put the floor back in, add the ramp again and see how it feels. Check back tomorrow!

I'm also glad to hear this. :)

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Tnx for the link to the UNA forums Al. I didn't even know that was there! :0

It's good to see that everyone is happy with a floor. I was worried people would be divided on the matter and i'd instantly half the players interested. I'll start work on it when i get back.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Ok thats the floor and the ramp in as can be seen in THIS pic. I have to admit it does play better now so thanks for having a go at me :D Lesson learned. ;)

So now i need some feedback on item placement and weapon placement. Once that is sorted out i will add some more detail and make sure all textures are aligned properly.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Just took a look at beta 8. Perfecto, my friend! Now THAT'S more like it :)

From the looks of it, weapon placement is fine, IMO. Maybe T2A could comment about it?

But well done!

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Just took a look at beta 8. Perfecto, my friend! Now THAT'S more like it

From the looks of it, weapon placement is fine, IMO. Maybe T2A could comment about it?

But well done!

Thank you! It definitely does play better this way so i'm quite happy with it now. I'll have a few games online with some good players to make sure items are balanced. Hopefully T2A will help out too if he is about. I'm looking forward to making it final now.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Very nice, I look forward to this one :) Just make sure all the playerstarts are reasonably near to a weapon and facing towards it, so players don't get stuck for where to go after spawning.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Holy crap Hazel are you from deen? Just checked your flickr link in your sig. That's Union St bridge if i am not mistaken?

Anyway thanks taking an interest in the map. I actually figured out how to add trim from Subterranean. Very nice looking map idd! I always prefer mainly BSP maps for some reason. I really like the flow too. Gj

Just make sure all the playerstarts are reasonably near to a weapon and facing towards it, so players don't get stuck for where to go after spawning.

Will do! Thanks for reminding me, it's likely i would forget. Still learning how to use the editor actually, well, i guess you never stop learning how to use it.

Last edited:

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Yes Do you know the area?

Yup i live here. Spring gardens to be exact. I rarely meet someone that comes from Scotland let alone the same damn city! What are the odds? 0.o

If you want a game of UT3 anytime add me as Tweakd . At least there will be no complaints about pings ;)

Last edited: