UT2k3 mod concept - need help with 1 little thing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Well, the idea we (me and my bro) came up with was a Diablo/Dungeon Siege-style RPG for UT2k3 (it's practically the only genre of game that ut hasn't been modded into afaik). One thing we'd love to do is have random maps like in Diablo, but I've got no idea how to go about this. I seem to recall a map in 2.9 has randomised stuff in it - if whoever made that map could get in touch with me and explain how it's done, that'd be great (or, of course, anyone else who knows a way of doing it). My email is dj_robe@hotmail.com, or ICQ 116195382.

Plus, anyone else interested in this project, let me know. It's just a vague idea at the moment, but other people's ideas would be good to have.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
SoSilencer [you'll find posts of him in the development forum] once created DynaTrig where things can be randomized within a map. Not sure, but I think it was also mentioned somewhere that something similar was implemented in INF 2.9. I'd guess that the feature could be coded into UT2K3 easily if you know how the original works.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
the map you're thinking of is Iraq, made by Raekwon. some barrels and small stuff are place randomly using movers. each frame of the mover represent a different position. one of these frames will be chosen when the game begins.
it can be done in ut2k3 as well, but you're limited by the movers count. it will affect both the fps and the network performences.

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
Hmmm from what I remember you could generate a random terrain with fractal generator giving you an rgb hight map of a fixed size. the textures would be have to be preset though.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Hmmm. Another interesting solution would be having dozens of static meshes that are randomly thrown together at joints that have been specified before. Not sure if that's possible though.