Persistent mouse issues.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
For the longest time, my girlfriend has been having an annoying problem with her Samsung NP-R530 laptop. Basically the mouse cursor freezes for short moments, every 5-60 seconds.

What I've been able to determine so far:
- It doesn't seem to occur in Windows (7) Safe mode.
- She uses a cheap logitech corded infrared mouse that only uses a Windows family generic mouse driver, not a Logitech driver.
- The problem occurs with the laptop's touchpad as well, whether the mouse is connected or not. I therefor completely rule out that the Logitech mouse has anything to do with it (or that it is an USB issue at all).
- When Windows 'sounds' are enabled, the 'device disconnected' and 'device connected' sounds are heard whenever the mouse cursor freezes and returns to normal. This initially led me to believe this was an USB issue, but then I discovered the touchpad had the exact same problem.
- I feel the issue happens more when I play a game on it, but that may simply be a psychological effect. I can't rule out the mouse glitches out more when the system gets a good workout though.

What I have done so far:
- I ran Windows Update (had apparently never run at all). One of the first things I found out about on the Internet was a problem with USB devices in Windows 7 that caused similar erratic mouse behaviour. A fix was released in one of the service packs, but unfortunately it made no difference for me.
- Aside from Safe Mode, I also ran the computer normally but with a lot of unnecessary processes killed or disabled temporarily (everything I didn't know or trust).
- I ran Samsung's Update service, which was total crap and didn't work at all.
- Instead I installed new drivers manually from this page, including a touch pad driver.
- I ran a variety of virus and adware scanners. Didn't pick up anything.
- Finally I contacted Samsung support, but they claim it can't be due to their software, it must be something I did. I'm not quite ready to believe them on that one yet.

Needless to say, I Googled the issue extensively as well. The only remotely related issue with any Samsung product I could find was a mouse cursor freezing on a Samsung touch screen of some sort. The purported solution to simply update the related driver didn't make any difference for me.

I think that just about covers all that I have done. Nothing really brought me one step closer to solving the issue. Another problem with the laptop is that is seems rather prone to overheating and tends to clock the CPU down for short bursts (but gradually more often and longer over time) when playing CPU and GPU intensive games for longer than 20 - 30 minutes. I think it's clocking it down at least, it could be something other issue plaguing the laptop. Either way, I haven't found any connection to that and the mouse issue. I think I'll disassemble the laptop and clean it out over the weekend.

Anyway, there you have it. I could really use some new ideas.

Last edited:

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
With some help from the TomsHardware forums I managed to track down the issue. T'was a HID conflict between a ghost mouse that was running next to the USB mouse and touchpad. I exorcised it and things have been working normally since. Wheew.