Next Generation - Funnel map debate

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How do you feel about FUNNEL maps?

• I play them lots or at times and enjoy the style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Has potential for improvement but needs work

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No potential to improve

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • They're a waste of time, can never improve.

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Animbadabar

Userfied Regist
Apr 25, 2006
Hello!
Before anybody sends me hurtling to the ground in flames I want to say that I'm trying to get people who play the funnel map scene to take a bit more pride in mapping and in general raise the standard of the gametype. There is a real opportunity for strategy for those who want to avoid the spam, and the games have potential to be more than a close quarter spawnkill fest and still remain really good relaxing fun.

I'm posting a few pictures of my latest WIP for 2k4, which is the first in a series of 3 showing how I feel funnel maps can and should progress. This first one is the bog-standard layout, a 2 level map with ramps leading to the weapon cache and the central spam/spawning area with like-minded weapons. In the second map I want to show how advanced tactics and manoevering can become part of the gameflow and how the motivation of better weapons leads players towards a king-of-the-hill type game.

Here are a few screenshots of what I've nearly finished. It's set in the killing ground ( a relatively clear patch of land kept between the outer fortifications and the citadels in medieval times providing a coverless area for defending archers to harass besiegers ) of a Ziggurat/Castle in an alien jungle. I used this to experiment with custom textures/meshes and lighting definition.
I'd be interested to see what anyone thinks of this - despite the well voiced hatred of funnel maps I think people might find this interesting.

Screenshot Info-
1 The main spawning area from the starting perspective
2 A High angle of spawning area
3 The Ziggurat
4 Redeemer/Amp D ledge (weapons not yet added)

Attachments

• Shot01.jpg
    Shot01.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Shot02.jpg
    Shot02.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Shot07.jpg
    Shot07.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Shot06.jpg
    Shot06.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

ArcadiaVincennes

Level Designer
May 20, 2004
Joisee
www.avld.org
Honestly, I have never played a funnel map and I know nothing about the game theory behind it other than what I've read in comments on the funnel maps posted here. So keeping that in mind...

I am aware that gameplay > eyecandy, but TBH, I've never given a second thought to trying a funnel map because 90% of the screenshots of htem I've seen posted look awful. Not in terms of gameply - simply visual aesthetics.

Yes, gameplay is the most important factor, but I don't see the reason why one just ignores trying to make it visually appealing as well.

From the screenshots you posted, it looks like you're finally putting some consideration into the visual aspect of it.

If I was a newcomer here at Nali, and I saw screenshots like those, and I didn't know what a funnel map was, I'd probably download that map because visually it's interesting. If I was a newcomer and I came across screenshots of the other funnel maps I've seen screens of, I'd avoid them. Which is precisely what I've done so far. :)

So, a thank you to you for trying to fill a void I consider greatly missing in funnel maps (based on screenshots alone).

-AV

Animbadabar

Userfied Regist
Apr 25, 2006
Thanks for the encouragement AV.
Just an update to say I've finished the first map and it should be on NC sometime soon as I just uploaded it.
The name is intentionally crass - DM-FNL-TowerOfFUNnel
I'll be doing a map announcement soon too.