Unreal Engine 3.0 (GDC) Movies

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bid

Sep 27, 2004
The hardware required to run UE3 COMFORTABLY (settings maxed out) won't be available for at least another 5 years.

Blaaguuu

taunt pthrust
May 27, 2002
Earshot of monkeys
Visit site
bid said:
The hardware required to run UE3 COMFORTABLY (settings maxed out) won't be available for at least another 5 years.

this is a good thing.

you knwo how when ou go back and play UT99 these day, you can enjoy yourself, with the nice gameplay. btu the graphics suck? think of havign a game you can play when it comes otu, with the better graphics than any other game around. then 5 years later, stick the game in and still be abel to play it with graphics as good as any new game. hooray for scaleability!@

sweeny

stick that in you phife and smoke it!!!
Nov 29, 2002
Leeds, UK
Visit site
bid said:

well im not sure what processing power is needed but in terms of graphics they are pritty close now, they say you would need 1hb of video memory to run it in top spec and i would estimate that they will have that sort of capibilaty in a year

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
AI is constantly being improved with each new engine revision. Hell, just compare the AI in the original Unreal game to the current versions...or better yet, other engines. True, there are few engines out there with great AI, but Unreal has come a long way in such a short time. Not many engines receive a constant and progressively quick upgrade like Unreal.

I guess we are spoiled, since the engine is upgraded quickly, we receive a sufficient portions of improvements with each upgrade. Of course, Epic could wait years to upgrade to each version...heh...then the graphics and AI would wow us...for a few months:). I'd rather see this engine improve every three years than wait many moons.

bid

Sep 27, 2004
ExiT said:
Letsee if they can create a UT sequel that can hold people as well as UT99 did. Nice graphics!

That will NEVER happen, no matter how good the game.

Back in 1999 the market was pretty much unexplored: only 2-3 good PC FPS titles existed and FPS games on consoles were just sad. The market share of FPS games at that time was evenly split between UT99, Q3, and Tribes.

Fast Forward to 2005: the market is now saturated with an endless supply of PC and Console FPS and WW2FPS games. By the time the new UE3 powered UT game is released, the market will be so heavily saturated that Epic will be lucky to get a 'fraction of a fraction' of the UT99 market share. This is one of the reasons that Epic is moving towards console games.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
bid said:
That will NEVER happen, no matter how good the game.

Back in 1999 the market was pretty much unexplored: only 2-3 good PC FPS titles existed and FPS games on consoles were just sad. The market share of FPS games at that time was evenly split between UT99, Q3, and Tribes.

Fast Forward to 2005: the market is now saturated with an endless supply of PC and Console FPS and WW2FPS games. By the time the new UE3 powered UT game is released, the market will be so heavily saturated that Epic will be lucky to get a 'fraction of a fraction' of the UT99 market share. This is one of the reasons that Epic is moving towards console games

I mostly think that halo is the big mess with them.Seriously , look at ut2003 , it was releassed just a bit before (or after) halo 1 on pc. Halo 1 had so much byer on the pc . Then , when they builded ut2004 , the BIGGEST feature where the vehicles, I looked so many times that banner on unrealtournament.com before the game was finnaly releassed. They had so much buyer , UT will not be owned by crapy WW2 games , There is so many WW2 FPS crap that i don't count them anymore. UT 2004 have ALOT! of mappers , look at all the others crap , i never sawed a bigger mapping comunity than our. And now epic want to spice up XBOX live with UC2 (i must agree with him with this point in one way) . They want to smash Halo 2 online , simple to understand ? Look for halo 2 on pc , epic will move faster for the next ut , i bet on it.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
ARGGGG STOP CALLING THE GAME UT99 :rant:

IT'S NOT CALLED UT99 ..

/me sighs cause of the fact how ridiculous people can be...

ut99.. whoever came up with it, I want to eviscerate you.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
It's UT, it came out in 99, there have been more since then, what's the problem? No it's not the name on the box, but you can't tell me that you haven't seen people use "UT" to just describe the whole series. If I said I was hoping they'd continue UT on ue3, I would be talking about the series, not a continuation soley of the game which came out in 1999.
You'd think someone burned your country's flag or something.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Seriously NeoNite, it's not much odder than people calling Star Wars "Episode 4". It's actually a lot handier when trying to help people with their mods, too, because a lot of people refer to UT2k4 as just UT, and it saves a step.

Though, I know where you're coming from. I still want to take bat to monitor everytime I see "MOD" ... god, that drives me nuts.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Sorry I exagerated a bit, it just sounds so horrible. Bleh.. ut99...
:O)

I know people use UT when referring to all ut games, in general.
Hmm...

Maybe they should've simply named the games ut, ut2, ut3...
Then people would've used ut1, which isn't that horrible....
(Ok, some do... but very few)

I'll keep using the term UT though. If people get confused and think I'm talking about UT2004, or all ut games, then that's their problem.
Most of the times it's easy figuring out wether you're referring to 1 game or every single one so far..eh..

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
NeoNite said:
ARGGGG STOP CALLING THE GAME UT99 :rant:

IT'S NOT CALLED UT99 ..

/me sighs cause of the fact how ridiculous people can be...

ut99.. whoever came up with it, I want to eviscerate you.

UT GOTY

/you glad?