UT2kX Perfect Dark / GoldenEye 007 Temple - [Beta 1][DL]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Animus

bladiebladibla
Sep 24, 2004
in Manta under water
PERFECT!! amazing, gonna download them tonight!

Very nice to see poeple still loving goldeneye and perfect dark!
ive also got an perfect dark map in progress but i dont know if i ever gonna finish him.

any idea if you are gonna make an UT3 version?

Leonardo

Old fart on top the mountain.....
Last edited:

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
To be honest, I haven't even opened up UT3's editor yet. But I've heard that converting UT2k4 maps to UT3 isn't terribly difficult. So... maybe?

BTW, would anyone want an alternate GoldenEye or PD track for the map? I uploaded 3 alternates here:

http://files.filefront.com/PDTemple+AlternateMusiczip/;13818373;/fileinfo.html

Fixed..... that 1 little i made my brain hurt for 12 minutes wtf was up with that? Also I got a 404 on the file download link. on that. Save for the one w/o the movers. Might I suggest some cobwebs and some falling dust in some areas of the map for effect/feel in the next revision?

Thanks for pointing out the broken link. Yeah, that the thread on Stigmat's map is pretty old. If you search on http://uz2.gameservers.net/ut2004/ you'll find that old beta, and a clan revision with crazy deemers and slightly better lighting, but no other fixes.

Cobwebs and stuff sound good. I also plan on adding some more subtle terrain (dirt in corners, and sand from openings) and editing some of the existing terrain. But I was getting fed up with the terrain editor, since it seems to crash unreal ed so frequently.

I had some skylight effects at one point, but I took them out since they didn't look the way I wanted. I'm also not completely happy with the current lighting. I wanted both give the impression of a hastily prepared and lit arena, so I went with flares and lamps, but the lighting is necessarily uneven because of that. The lighting effects in the PD map were more on the artistic side and didn't use realistic light sourcing. So some of the large open areas are necessary dark, such as the main open chamber.

Anyway, I might redo the lighting and lighting effects differently later on. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Animus

bladiebladibla
Sep 24, 2004
in Manta under water
actually it would be nice to mix a perfect-dark song into it, they are way more futureristic and pleasent.
also i remember Prefect dark had multiple sound-tracks when you played multiplayer.

and converting, i dont know. only if you have build your map in Maya you can just import it into UT3s editor, but if you build everything from scratch in the editor?....

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
Yeah, I did something like that by mixing multiple tracks into a single ogg. I've actually done mixes like that to the entire UT2004 default soundtrack for my personal use as well, from other games like Timesplitters, UT99, UT3, Tekken, Metroid Prime, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye and others. I find it annoying to play a map for 30 minutes-1 hour and have the same 3 minute song looping over and over and over, but I like the idea of having music of a certain mood for each map :)

Anyway, the default song mix for my map is Dark Combat + dataDyne Action from Perfect Dark.

The options in the track pack are:

GoldenEye 007: Runway X + Elevator (Caverns) + Streets X + Bunker 1 X + The Basement

GoldenEye 007: Surface 1 + Surface 2 + Runway

Perfect Dark: Alien Conflict + Pelagic II

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
A quick update on the temple map. I've dumped the textures from the n64 and started reworking the trim textures I want to use. The texture still looks pixelated since I haven't finished editing the texture.

I've also made tons of changes to the map that aren't apparent in the screen shot. Among other things I've tweaked weapon and pickup locations, scaled the map down to 75%, worked on bot pathing (they now can translocate and jump pretty much anywhere you can), and tweaked and added terrain layers.

I've been tempted to put out another beta several times, but I always think of something to improve. I will have something publicly playable soon, but if you'd like to help test things out in the meantime, feel free to contact me via xfire, and I'll send you the latest build.

I also have a remake of Villa in the works, you can see additional screenshots and more info in the Epic thread: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=683029

Last edited:

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Holy crap, that looks awesome! Villa was one of my favorite maps from Perfect Dark, a remake would be amazing!

Oh man, the nostalgia...

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
Holy crap, that looks awesome! Villa was one of my favorite maps from Perfect Dark, a remake would be amazing!

Oh man, the nostalgia...

Thanks! That's high praise, considering you made that incredible Hanging Gardens map!

And here's an update with my new texture

Last edited:

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Thanks! That's high praise, considering you made that incredible Hanging Gardens map!

Thanks, though it would be more accurate to say I "helped" make Hanging Gardens, that map was (my first) team collaboration effort after all. I definitely recommmend it if you can find someone who shares your interests, you do have to give and take, and there are sometimes heated debates, but overall, two people can come up with amazing ideas that neither one could have come up with alone.

This was totally random, but on of my very first maps was a Perfect Dark remake too (I totally loved that game, got every cheat code and finished every Combat simulator level). Once I started getting involved in 2k4 map modding about 3 years ago, one of my first map attempts was a Remake of the "G5" combat simulator level (The level for Challenge 29, where you gotta take one those impossibly-overpowered DarkSims). As you can see, I took some liberties with the layout and theme (was gonna make it a molten metal factory kind of thing) but yeah, sadly, I never got around to finishing it, and then later moved onto StarReach before finally switching over to UT3.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3541/g5knockoff.jpg

If you're thinking about moving over to UT3 too, the G5 building and that Sewers one would both probably make excellent DM maps. They've got a good combination of tight corridors interspersed with open spaces (the larger, more open PD maps would probably play less well with UT). Complex wasn't bad either. Man... I'm soooo tempted to make a full Perfect Dark remake map myself now... >_<

(new textures are looking good btw :D )!

Last edited:

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
I was a big PD player too. I spent hours upon hours trying to beat everything, but I don't recall how far my ranking got. As for remakes, it is too early to for me to say if I'll do another PD map or not. Skedar, Grid, and G5 would be nice in ut2004, and in fact there are already some direct ports of them. I've also seen several other PD/GE remakes of varying quality out there.

I might instead do a Timesplitters remake instead, since there were also some great maps there. There was even a pretty cool tribute to G5 in TS2. (that was a pain to unlock!) If I were to remake any TS map, it would probably be Mexican Mission. Streets would be interesting for CTF.

I don't know about UT3 mapping though. To be honest, I don't play UT3 much. As I said, if it's not terribly difficult, I might port a 2k4 map, but I'm not particularly interested in mapping for it, at least till I finish these maps. Or if you or someone else would like to use one of my maps as a base for a UT3 version, that would be cool too.

Last edited:

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
Here is what should be the final version of the map. If no one finds any bugs or anything, I'll be releasing this version.

http://www.filefront.com/14471773/DM-PerfectDarkTemple-RC1.zip
http://www.utzone.de/include.php?path=content/download.php&contentid=7929

RC1 Changes
--------------
Added a new secret room near the bio, door activates by shooting it. Door uses sounds sampled from Perfect Dark.
Super shield has been replaced with a wildcard base, which can have the Supershield (usually), 25 or 50 adren, or the DD. Secret room usually has a DD, or can be 25 or 50 adren, or a super health.
Added a few more health pickups and one more 50 shield.
Redeemer moved to exterior wall, classic sniper and hidden weapon locker removed. Weapons in the four outlying rooms were shuffled around again.
Removed old zone portals and rezoned the map from scratch.
Added ladder to ledge overlooking the chamber of pillars, reduced usable area of ledge to prevent abuse in TAM.
Fixed a few minor pathing issues with translocators enabled.
Redid trim textures so they are easier to align.

Screenshot of the new "secret" room:

Last edited:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
That looks great, makes me want to play UT2K4 again! Which I probably will, later tonight. :D