Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Inception - 7/10

After a slow start, the film picks up about 20 minutes in and manages to hold it together for the closing stages.
The problem with this film is that it's been done better and it's called The Matrix.
DiCaprio seems just to have ported over his character from Shutter Island with a similar problem with his wife, in that he keeps getting flashbacks etc and it's all a bit muddled plot-wise.
Ellen Page just seems totally mis-cast and awkward in this film.
Not the awesome movie I kept hearing about.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Predators - 4/10

Just awful.
I'm not sure what the script writers were thinking when they came up with the back story for this sorry excuse for a movie.
I kept trying to put the original Predator movie to the back of my mind and I promised myself not to be biased because of it but unfortunately, that's exactly what happened.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Inception - 7/10

After a slow start, the film picks up about 20 minutes in and manages to hold it together for the closing stages.
The problem with this film is that it's been done better and it's called The Matrix.
Not the awesome movie I kept hearing about.
Exactly!

Thanks for saving me the effort of writing a review. :)

The Tuxedo 4/10

Jackie Chan is funny and personable but the rest of the film seems only to aspire to level of a TV movie. The B-list supporting cast members turn up and say their lines competently but that's about it. The teenage sexual innuendo seems out of place in a vehicle seemingly aimed at children (I doubt that was the intention of the producers but they ended up making a film that is best enjoyed by a 10-year old.)

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Inception: 7-7.5/10

Normally a movie I've really enjoyed watching keeps lingering for a while... but this one didn't. Although I did like it, and it never really felt as getting tired or tedious (it's a long movie). But I agree with what lruce bee and mister prophet said about ellen page. Most of the times she just stood there looking worried.
There are some real creative bits (like half of the city being turned upside down), at least the cgi isn't overwhelming, and the emphasis is more on the story and characters.
I managed keeping track of what was happening, but I wonder how many people actually did though.
as they kept descending deeper and deeper into other dreamworlds. The fourth was "nearly" one too many.
It does start out a little confusing, not really the opening scene because you realize it's something they will build up to and explain. But the parts after it, the double dream f.e.
I think Leo did fairly well. He's been better, f.e. gangs of new york.. but still I'm happy with his performance. Cillian murphy, same really. As in "28 days later". But no gripe, really. As for jason gordon levitt, man.. what a spitting image of heath ledger.

I'm not sure about the ending. I kinda shrugged. Partially it felt like a daring, but also a hollywood ending to me. Does that make sense? Didn't really make that much of an impact

Didn't really went to see this movie with great expectations, not that I expected it to be lousy or anything! And I'm not dissapointed, but it didn't really waw me either.

The low gravity scene was quite awesome indeed.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore 5.5/10

Amusing enough James Bond spoof for the first half hour or so, it flags a bit after that.

Curiously, in spite of the advances in technology since the first outing, I felt that most of the animals had less character than before.

The kids really enjoyed this film.

1 mark deducted for the brazen attempt to win over cat lovers.

Coyote Falls 8/10

Very funny Road Runner short that accompanied Cats & Dogs 2. I never felt that I was missing anything by going to the 2D version of Cats & Dogs 2 but I'm fairly certain that the short was worth paying the extra for 3D (and it was funny!)

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
I think Leo did fairly well. He's been better, f.e. gangs of new york.. but still I'm happy with his performance. Cillian murphy, same really. As in "28 days later". But no gripe, really. As for jason gordon levitt, man.. what a spitting image of heath ledger.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
:rolleyes:

Karate Kid 2010 - 2/10
Some friends wanted to see it so I went along, thankfully downloaded though so no money spent. Well, it was awful, boring, very bad acting. To be hones I have nothing good to say about it and I don't know why I rate it 1/10 and not 0/10 but what the hell.

don't see it.

(The other Karate Kid movies aren't much better though)

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Don't misuse the roll eyes smilie Thrallala, it's very powerful. Too powerful for simple name errors :rolleyes:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Check out "Kick Ass"

If you haven't seen Kick Ass yet, go buy it or rent it. I would say it's the most entertaining movie I have seen since Avatar.

I am not saying it's a great movie or has great acting, or that it's art. I am saying you really need to see the action scenes in the movie and check out much of the dialog. Especially Hit Girls dialog. It's not apropriate for little kids, But, it's pretty awsome for adults and definitly worth watching.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
If it's anything related to that nasty thing you have displayed as your avatar, that's quite questionable!!,,lol:mad:

Predator: 7.5-8/10

It's one of those movies I can't seem to get bored with. Funny though, never realized that you can actually see the real kevin peter hall at the end of the movie.
Turbulent action horror movie. Crazy how the assault on the guerilla village seemed like a "serious" version of an a-team episode...
It was the perfect role for arnold. Also really like the music.

The neverending story: 8/10

One of my childhood movies, and it's been ages I watched it. I've tried letting go of the adult views as much as I could (which can be a bitch, because you start analysing without even realizing it sometimes). Because this movie is a little pearl. I had completely forgotten about some of the characters (the evil wolf f.e.), but most stuck.
Fun seeing this again.
I was almost Bastian's age when I watched this for the first time.

Life (documentary) challenge of life: 10/10

Stunning documentary on all the aspect of life around us. This episode focuses on the struggle of animals/planets, walking the fine line between survival and death. Beautifully shot captivating sequences of leppards hunting unaware prey (they did not expect multiple leppards to attack them), how the predators develop new strategies and how the game might slowly but surely adapt to this. Really great seeing them combine their force for taking down a rather dangerous prey: an ostridge. On average it's twice the weight of a leppard, and one swift kick of it's powerfull legs might deliver serious damage on the hunters.
Proffesionally filmed, some slow motion sequences of animals charging others, becoming aware of danger in their near surroundings and finding escape routes/protection (a type of seal eluding killer whales by staying close to a tiny formation of ice),
the devotion displayed by a mother octopus toward her hundred thousand eggs (she remains near the young until they hatch, which means she won't movie for months and eventually die from starvation).
Think this is on the same level as the planet earth documentary. Truly worth watching!

Last edited:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
KickAss 9/10

I want Hit Girl as my daughter. :)

Hit Girl can also be called "Little Miss Head Shot"

~10 in the rescue scene, ~9 head shots
4 in the lobby, all 4 were head shots, #4 with brains on the floor (with classic spagetti western music in the back ground)
4 more in the atruim, 1 head shot, 3 with ripped out throats
and 12 from the kitchen, 10 head shots, 1 shot their own head off, 1 kitchen knife

That kid got some skillz

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The Last Airbender

Difficult is this one to rate, many contradictions has it.

Let's start with the bad...

• A script that is seriously clunky in places and that badly handles exposition with every character explaining where they got the knowledge from. For example, "There are powerful waterbenders in the Northern water bending tribes. My Father told me before he left". Although the father has some mild significance in later seasons, it just isn't worth it mentioning him at this point when dealing with a script that has serious time/compressions issues to cope with.
  • Some lines of diaglogue left me just sitting there wondering how the script got past first base without some basic fixing. Even the kids noticed that people "don't speak like that".

Now the script was always going to be difficult for this film. Once the decision has been taken to broadly follow the plot outline of the cartoon original then the problem arises of compressing some 20-odd episodes into under two hours of screen time. An awful lot had to be ditched. I'm not going to complain about this element being dropped or that one being left in. Whatever was done would get criticised. There's no winning for the script writer on that front.

Next the not so bad...

• Dev Patel was quite good as Zuko although I don't think the script adequately established the "is he good or is he bad?" that the cartoon managed to keep going for 2.5 seasons. Not enough ambiguity (yet).
  • Given that most of the time consuming goofy humour had to be junked, the new look serious Sokka turned out quite well. He isn't anything like the cartoon but he'll do.
  • Uncle Iroh is different but in a good way. He seems more prominent in the film that I remember him being in the first season of the cartoon but that's no bad thing. Funny is time consuming so some of the humour has gone but Shaun Toub's screen presence carries the day.
  • As for the rest of the cast, least said, soonest mended. :)

The good:

• The effects really made this film. It was a convincing presentation of the spirit powers in the "real world"
  • Things really did get better as we went along. The second half of the film was actually quite good (no longer any need for turgid exposition) and the big set piece at the end was very well done and most watchable.

If you loved the cartoon then this film will annoy and entertain you.

If you just want to enjoy a Summer movie, then it's OK for the kids.

If you are interested in the process of script adaptation then it's an interesting but large failure.

So...

Let's go with 6/10. There was more good than bad in the end but it was a close run thing.

IronMonkey, I do believe you've given the most generous opinion of Last Airbender out of everyone I've talked to, and the ones that followed the show had the harshest things to say. I haven't seen it yet myself, but my gf did, and in so many words her verdict was that it was a complete travesty, to both the source material and to film in general.

I'm...kinda curious to watch it :) Never watched the show either (I am under the imrpession that it's for kids, right?). It's kinda like when I went to see The Happening after sitting through the train wreck that was Lady In The Water. Will wait till it's on TV.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I thought it was impossible to give a vote higher than 2 to the Last Airbender. It's true that the effects were kind of good, though.
The animated series is really good on the other hand (personally).