FragBU: Friday 11/4 and Saturday 11/5

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
About the mine laying in the Arctic base. Personally, I hate it. To me, it's right up there with someone damaging all of the vehicles. If your team is so good that you have someone to spare to go around doing that, then perhaps there's a team balance issue.

Nonetheless, it was good fun trying to make a comeback even though I hate that Arctic always plays out exactly like that. It's really time to revisit our node setups.

I'm not sure you can compare that to romra because the map itself is just a small sheet and there are loads of good reasons that you might end up by the enemy base. I think you can blame the spawn rapeage there on the fact that the spawn points are right by the weapons and there is nowhere else to go. That's why I like that version I posted in last week's FragBU thread. Though I will say that hanging back in your own base sniping spawners is rather annoying.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Agent_5 said:
According to the stats you started doing it three minutes into the game, got a whopping 9 kills with your spider mines, while the rest of your team was out trying to build node one - which despite your best efforts we rebuilt a few times ourselves. Your only real accomplishment was making sure we didn't have a paladin to work with, and it just might've been more efficient for you to have stolen it rather than camp in our base for twenty minutes.

I know, it looks bad, but I wasn't going out of my way to do it. The fastest route from the node I spawned at to the enemy primary node is straight through the enemy base. I figured I'd do something while I drove through in my manta, letting my teammates use the stronger vehicles. I'd spend all of ten seconds in the base when no one was there to bug me. (I did steal the Paladin when it was unlocked :p) That node always gets rebuilt, because it is so close to the base.

Mines let you do all this without diverting team resources, and the layout of the map makes it an obvious tactic you'd have to consciously deny yourself. Like spawncamping in Romra, it's annoying as hell, but If you've got the shot you have to take it.

As for node setups, I thought it wasn't possible to use alternate setups with mapvote. Is it possible to use Random, so at least sometimes you get a decent setup? The vast majority of default setups are awful.

As far as a new Torlan, you can't polish a turd. If the node setup sucks, the gameplay will suck. There's a version with a different setup/extra nodes which you can get here, which is worth looking at. It already incorporates some of T2A's changes, such as the Bender-Tank swaps. The couple of times I played it, albeit with a lot more people than FragBU, it seemed a lot better.

Last edited:

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Guys, I was wondering if some of you could host the map files on your personal webserver so that I can download them at school, preferably FTP, since our school doesn't block any FTP's. I can't download off of *ANY* download mirror for any of the maps, because every single one is blocked under the category, "Games". At school, I usually download as much stuff as I can using the T3 connection we have, burn them to CD, and bring it all home.

Very much appreciated, and I hope to join in on future FragBU's.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
briach said:
I say we put ion cannon turrets on the base towers.

That would help Torlan not be so one-sided.

Good thinking :tup:

Hal, it's not just Romra, I was using that as a specific example because it happens every single game of Romara I play, or damn near that. It happens all the time to me in ONS where someone decides the best thing they can do is hang around by your first node when youre at their core, adn then just pancake you over and over with the manta if you go to your node and get a vehicle. It happens to me quite a bit in CTF, even on maps like Grendel. The jail camping in JB is often really bad, especially on Arlon. It doesn't help that a lot of the JB maps we play like Arlon adn Heights have high sniping spots there the weaklings like me are easy prey to people like you, raffi, and m&ms. Ironically, the games where everyone is all over the map (TDM and DM) are the games where I rerely get killed before I can fight back.

Call me a pessemist, but I dount it will ever stop.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
nuttella said:
As far as a new Torlan, you can't polish a turd. If the node setup sucks, the gameplay will suck. There's a version with a different setup/extra nodes which you can get here, which is worth looking at. It already incorporates some of T2A's changes, such as the Bender-Tank swaps. The couple of times I played it, albeit with a lot more people than FragBU, it seemed a lot better.
More vehakals! That version seems tons better than retail Torlan, but since it's beta, someone still needs to fix it up and call it Torlan-FragBU. :p

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

Is there any way I can guage whether or not my computer is performing as well as it should be? Even with 800x600 and mid-to-low settings I still can't keep things going smoothly. I could have sworn I had a decently-performing machine, but its performance just seems to be very subpar as of late. I've had this thing for over two years now and I'm pretty sure I used to get smooth framerates, but I rarely do now. Could have just been my perception of it because I was a total n00b back then and probably wouldn't really have noticed anyway. Running around just about any DM/CTF level gives me good framerates, but as soon as some people get on-screen, my frames drop quite nicely. They might not be dropping tons and tons, but they always drop right into the range where it looks the unsmoothest based on my refresh rate. In some cases where you take an simple map like CTF-SpiderCrossings and throw a good bunch of people into the middle area my frames will seriously plummet from 85 to something in the 30s or wherever it would be most inconvenient for me so as to screw up my ability to kill people. What the hell? Why does a few character models make my computer take such a dump? I have a good $2,000 in the bank right now that I could, in theory, drop on a huge rig right now, but I'm not going to do that. If I were to find someone selling a card better than my 9800 Pro for $50 or something I would probably do that, but right now I'm saving up for a next-generation machine for UT3, Elder Scrolls 4, and whatever else. Okay, since I ranted on long enough that you probably forgot the original point, is there any way to see if my computer is performing as well as it should? Is it possible for a computer's performance to slowly deteriorate over time? :hmm:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The 9800 PRO is more than enough to run UT2004 at very high frame rates. What is your CPU? UT2004 loves to suck up CPU cycles, and frankly, the problem you describe sounds more like a CPU problem than GPU.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
2.8 GHz P4 with SUPERULTRACOOLPRO1773 HYPERTHREADINGS!!`cow`~

That may be the issue, but it just doesn't make sense. Player models are a few thousand polygons a piece and as DM-1on1-Painkiller proved, so long as there aren't too many BSP polygons in view, my computer can handle a quarter of a million static mesh polygons at over 60 FPS (BSP uses CPU to calculate which BSP polygons should be rendering at every frame). I just don't see how player models could be so detrimental; they're simply meshes with animated rigging. If it is, in fact, my CPU, then I guess I'm screwed. I'd need to get a new motherboard since I'd go AMD 114% and I'd need a new case to hold the motherboard since my case is a Dell proprietary POS.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
GGs, nice comeback wins in RedPlanet and Adara. We learned in Adara that it's hard to hold down a team with m&m's, T2A, and -36 for a whole game (as if we didn't already know). I think the latter two's hatred of Vehaklz motivates them. I also think they were out to get me after my antics in ArcticStronghold, but maybe I'm just paranoid :p

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Yeah, I'd vote for paranoid. :p I don't really know what happened in that Adara game. I'd pretty much given up hope since the node layout is like ArcticCircleofDoomhold, only the nodes are even harder to get to, so I was sure we were going to lose the moment we lost our first node. At that point I was basically just running around looking for vehakals to blow up while occasionally stepping on our first node hoping maybe it'd get up and running. I guess the rest of the team was being a little more productive. :D

I need to go to bed but I don't want to. :(

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
It started out good (great, even), but the last games were just too boring to keep playing. Did anyone really enjoy that Espirit crap? And why does there have to be a "pro" version of Gauntlet? It's exactly the same, only uglier...and equally unbalanced.

(sorta) congratulations on that Torlan remake: it proved what I already suspected, namely that it's not the provided vehicles but the layout & node setup of the map that makes comebacks impossible. :(

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
T2A, I have a Radeon 9800 XT and I run UT2k4 on highest settings, with no lag.
Remember a few weeks ago when I said I had freeze lags? I updated the drivers and now it's perfectly fine.
My tip would be to update the graphics card drivers, to see if it will make any difference. :)

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Yup I can't see how it'd suddenly lag like that otherwise.

Must admit Friday's games were better to me this week. Much more balanced and much more fun. Saturday's had a real lack of balance.

No whining and no winning from me either ;)

Sherlock Holmes to his chiropodist said:
The game's afoot!

Joke of the day :D

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
T2A what driver set do you have installed? and I'll second hals post, the damn game Taxes the CPU. go download UMARK2000 and run it's benchies. should help you. :)