3D Realms Shuts Down, Duke's Fate Unclear

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Game does look like it was in a fairly polished state to be released though - they must have been so close to kicking this one out of the door.

Lruce

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Wait, are you actually saying that you can judge all the fun behind a game by watching a Youtube Video pointing out a few (and cool) 3D animations? :eek:
I wasn't talking about the gameplay, really.... but the weapons that were used were uninspired, the enemies looked pretty crappy and the animations have already been matched in several games by now... so, unimpressive.

Of course, this could also be 5 year old footage. Who knows.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I wasn't talking about the gameplay, really.... but the weapons that were used were uninspired, the enemies looked pretty crappy and the animations have already been matched in several games by now... so, unimpressive.

Of course, this could also be 5 year old footage. Who knows.

And I definitely agree, but I was more pointing out that Duke Nukem Forever must be huge. To make it right in time with a decent quality, we can't make thousand perfectly badass animations.

I mean, Fallout 3 is a great game with a very decent quality, but it isn't about 3D animations at all (in fact, using the 3rd person view totally sucks). It's all about the game content. Chronicles of Riddick (back in the days in 2004) was nearly about the same point of view; a few weapons, a few ennemis, but a freaking awesome Singleplayer with a lot of good patterns & content.

And personnally, by comparing the DNF animations we just saw to Halo 3 (by example)... I still prefer DNF.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
I'm going to assume that this video is what everyone is talking about. Looks pretty decent, the sad thing is that if this was footage after maybe two year's development, I'd be like hey, that looks pretty cool, I want to play that. As it stands, after 12 years this footage is just "meh" and if this game was ever released it would no doubt have been mercilessly ripped apart.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Yeah that's the one I was looking at earlier and on it's own it doesn't look too shabby tbh but alongside the heavyweight shooters around atm, it looks mediocre at best.

There is no way we can speculate that this game will ever see the light of day now, however, Take Two Interactive apparently hold the publishing rights to the content and the may decide to throw it out there to see what happens or perhaps hold on to the IP until the dust settles and roll it out later down the line as a brand new development.
Really hard to see what will happen to it at this point.

Lruce

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I'm going to assume that this video is what everyone is talking about. Looks pretty decent, the sad thing is that if this was footage after maybe two year's development, I'd be like hey, that looks pretty cool, I want to play that. As it stands, after 12 years this footage is just "meh" and if this game was ever released it would no doubt have been mercilessly ripped apart.

Interesting clip, certainly looks like duke but I was lefting wanting, just seemed very much the same as previous dukes. Thats not always a bad thing dont get me wrong but you should try to expand on things alittle more with sequels.

The tools and pipelines have come along way over those years, thing with that is it would seem thats the reason duke never see's the light of day. Its also the reason that delayed max payne... Things are just moving ahead and techniques arnt always adopted at the optimal time, normal maps in doom 3 as an eg. I remember the tech demo of that looking 10x better then the game so if this is mean to be a duke tech demo, they can keep it.

It could have/had been good, a solid shooter, would it ever have/had the same impact as the Duke3d or as with titles like the original doom or unreal? I hate to say it but I dont think so, especially judging by that clip. That doesnt mean I wouldnt play it, just depends if Im willing tyo spend $120aud or more on it. Thatd be a HELL NO, around $20aud perhaps yeah (paid that for riddick actually), graphics just arnt as impressive as they were at the beginning of this 'next-gen' not that these graphics are anything to call home about... I just dont see anything but a generic shooter with abit of tit. Whats new? Its been 12yrs!

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I don't know it for certain since I have never been employed by 3DR but as a constant lurker on there forums going back to 2000ish I can tell you of certain that they said over and over, DNF is on a highly modified from the ground up on a build of UE2. If I recall right they recieved the update to UE2.5update and integrated the changes. But they have been very adamment that it's not Using UE3.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Even so, Ive seen very similar AI/sequences in legendary which is on the market so even as a portfolio stuff at production quality its nothing I havent seen.

It is cool to watch but I went back and watched the 2001 clip which still to this day, wow's me!

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Well, of course the whole media could me made look more modern to compete with GoW2 and UT3:

Before:
classic.jpg

Modern:
modern.jpg

Now we only have to add about 1.000.000 useless polygons to increase the clutter and it is up to date.

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
That stuff looks quite old, well, most of it anyway. I wonder when it was made.
But still, it looks quite interesting.

I think this is more recent:

[Screenshot]http://fuegerstef.de/1.JPG[/Screenshot]

[Screenshot]http://fuegerstef.de/2.JPG[/Screenshot]

[Screenshot]http://fuegerstef.de/3.JPG[/Screenshot]

AND it is almost brown enough to count as next-gen game.

Last edited:

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Source of the information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever You can go further there, but I didn't find anything to rely on.

PC games have come far the last decade. A game like this should not be canceled.

I remember the Doom 3 beta, you could shoot holes in stuff. Lot's of impressive things going on.

Just to bring up an earlier argument, that very Wikipedia article refers to DNF as an in-joke in the gaming community :p It's not juts me and the people I know, that game is/was a laughingstock.