camg188's Gem-to-Blender Script

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
I assume that he could convert those, too. I asked him about it on the Epic forums, but I haven't gotten a response yet.
He's probably way too busy to convert them himself, but maybe he could share the method.

Last edited:

lukas2288

Aug 4, 2009
I assume that he could convert those, too. I asked him about it on the Epic forums, but I haven't gotten a response yet.
He's probably way too busy to convert them himself, but maybe he could share the method.

Hi Zeji,
i see that you have working gem script for blender but when i load it it wrote me script error.So i want to ask if you can export U2 skaarj model with animation into blend if it is possible?

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
You might have the wrong version of Python and Blender, and the script doesn't export animations. You would have to use EvilEngine's pack if you want to be the Unreal 2 skaarj. I still haven't had any luck getting U2's heavy skaarj yet, sorry.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
UPDATE: I've got some good news and bad news. Don't worry, it's mostly good news.

The bad news: The marine light head (the one with half of the human's face showing) can't be converted by the script. Blender crashes every time I try, no matter what values I enter.

The good news: I've recently converted 2 (technically 3) models: the heavy skaarj and Neban. I'm going to work on converting the Liandri Angels, Isaak, and Hawkins next.

I've also found an easier way to get half of the correct values by using GlmEd.
To get some correct values (the numbers, not the starting locations), go to GlmEd and open up the default Unreal 2 workspace. Then go to the model that you want to convert and look at the properties (View/Modify) for the following sections :
Code:
BonePoints
----------------------------
PointCount=pnts_nbr
WeightCount=wgt_nbr
------------------------------
Texture UV Frames
-----------------------------
FullTexUV(TexUVCount)=uv_nbr
TexUV=uv_nbr
Triangles
-----------------------------
FullTriangles(Vertices)=uv_nbr
Triangles(Vertices)=vtx_nbr
Triangles(Points)=pnts_nbr
Traingles(Triangles)=face_nbr
Vertices
FullVertices(VertexCount)=uv_nbr

The format for these is Section(LevelStatistic)=nbr.
I based the list off of the heavy Liandri Angel, so the 'Full' sections might not be on some models.

I haven't put Neban into 3ds max yet, but I'll work on making him playable as well. I'll also make a guide for converting the models if I can find anything conclusive enough for making a general tutorial.

EDIT: More updates. I've converted a few more models, specifically the Light Liandri Angel body,helmet, and head (the one with hair on it). I've also converted one of the colonist gas-masks.

Also, I've found that the Medium Angel can't be converted. Like the Light Marine Head, it crashes Blender. I assume that it wouldn't crash if the script could be updated for Blender 2.49. If anyone knows how to update scripts, please share your ideas!

EDIT: Check the first post for a list of the models that I currently have converted, the models I haven't been able to convert, and the models that can't be converted. Also, here's some proof of my other conversions:

I think I'll try converting the medium marine, the liandri angel backpacks, the colonists, and the seagoat next.

EDIT: Updated list with Araknid Heavy and Drakk Light.

And if there's anyone here that can understand Blender scripts, could you help me out? What value is VTX[indata[0]] in the script? If I can understand what it is, then I could probably convert models with ease.

EDIT: It seems I've eaten my own words- the light marine head and the medium angel body, head, and helmet actually can be converted. I guess the script would crash because of a certain combination of incorrect values.

Updated list with more models.

Attachments

• mercmediumcolonistshot.jpg
    mercmediumcolonistshot.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
Bump

I no longer have the time to convert any of these models. If there is anyone who would be willing to, send me a message and I'll give you the script, textures, and models later this week.

Bones will have to be added in order to have the models use regular UT2004/UT3 animations.

I believe I have enough information to make a basic tutorial, though.
Sorry for not making anymore progress. :(