Unreal Anthology problems? WTF?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Ok, this is completely ridiculous and ludicrous!:( I installed Unreal and RTNP as well as UT-GOTY edition from Unreal Anthology and configured all these games, downloaded extra stuff I didn't already have and basically got each one up to the same as my previous installs or better, then I installed Quake3 (did same thing with updates), then installed UT2003 (did same thing with updates and extra stuff).

Now, tonight, I'm ready to install UT2004 from the Unreal Anthology disc and all it wants to do is uninstall everything. I can't get it to the screen where I choose to install UT2004 only right now. Why can't I install parts of this Anthology at anytime I want to and only everything at once or nothing at all? All I'm trying to do is install these games in the order of original release dates. Either I'm missing something obvious or it can't be done. Is it seeing my install of UT2003 and thinks it is UT2004 and trying to uninstall it? Is it seeing just Unreal Anthology in general and wanting to uninstall everything before reinstalling anything? I think someone really screwed the moose and missed the f-ing boat on this one.:mad:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Found this wonderful news as a con in a review of the game package at newegg:
"Be prepared to either install all 4 games included on the DVD at your first installation, or expect to uninstall ALL Unreal Anthology games if you decide to add another title from the DVD later on. If you insert the DVD later (and choose “install”) to add a title you missed the first time, it will say: "Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features? =Yes= =No=". My suggestion: Install all 4 titles, but ONLY if you DON'T have any of those titles already installed. If you install duplicate titles (C:\UT2004 and C:\Unreal Anthology\UT2004) and try to remove one later, it deletes all keys from the Registry (Win XP) and neither title will boot."

There has got to be a way around this BS!:mad:

Also, they say the manual is on the disc in PDF format, but I can't seem to access it anymore.

I noticed there is a setup.ini file in the disk1 subdirectory. Is there any way to copy everything off the disc and move it to a blank partition on my HD, change something in that INI file and install from there? Or maybe a registry setting to change to trick the install in thinking nothing is installed, install UT2004 and then change them back?

If this is really not possible, then a warning should be posted in the Liandri Archives page for Unreal Anthology!

EDIT: just found this posted by GreatEmerald at the Epic games forums that might help:
"Fix it as follows
INSTALLSHIELD Error: if after clicking to install software by using the Install Shield Wizard, this error occurs, then go to c:\ program files \ common files \ and delete the following folder: InstallShield
After deleting the folder InstallShield, every program can be installed now.
However, after deleting the folder and installing the software, recopy it into the common files folder (i.e. the folder InstallShield is not deleted but just moved to another location and now moved back), everything is still be fine, software after that still can install as usual (I don’t know why). I RECOMMEND recopying the folder to its original location after installing the software; this can make some other software (some software already installed in your computer before) which requires Install Shield to install be able to run properly.
Move the folder to another location, install the software, then move back . Great !"

Another possibility is to change the count=1 to count=0 in the setup.ini within the correct section of C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\ subdirectory. That is, of course, if this count is the number of times Unreal Anthology has been installed.

Any comments on these things?

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I have Adobe Reader, but can't see the file on the disc anymore........but maybe this was available during the install and maybe it's just the original manuals for each game. Anyway, I'm not too concerned about that right now, but I would like to have peoples thoughts on what I can do to get this version of UT2004 installed without uninstalling Unreal/UT. Any ideas?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Deleting Install Shield subd in the Commonfiles section only regenerates it once the game tries to install, so this didn't work, BUT......

....here's the key:
"the correct section of C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\ subdirectory"

All you have to do is cut and paste the correct entry subdirectory pertaining to the date you originally installed some of the parts of Unreal Anthology to somewhere else on your hard drive (I elected to move it to one of my temporarily blank partitions, but anywhere else would probably work). It's easy to find as it contains some of the same files as on the Anthology disc in the Disc1 section. It creates the same subdirectory as before, but with information from the new install date. All I did was copy both subdirectories and rename them to indicate InstallShield files from Unreal-UT install and ones from UT2004 install and left the new installed UT2004 one as is for now.

I would assume if I ever wanted to uninstall Unreal or UT for some odd reason, then I would have to make sure the correct subdirectory was in-place and the same for UT2004. Also, I'm using WinXP (SP2), but I'm sure it would work at least with some other operating systems/versions.

This might be something good to put in the Liandri Archives for Unreal Anthology as well!:)

Last edited:

Saracengames

Our Avatar is a plane we want for UT2004
Aug 26, 2009
Gravesend, UK
Anthology problem

yea i got Unreal gold and 2004 installed on my memory stick biut when i try to play it on another computer unreal gold works but not 2004, is there a file or mod to play UT2004 without installing on the pc like UT99 and Unreal gold? please send an email at lknott93@live.co.uk.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
post #5 is the key

Besides the fact that I'll be doing this again soon on my Win8.1 computer, I thought I'd also bump this for other people as well. I think I remember someone very recently asking about installing only one game from Anthology after one or more already installed.:)