EXTREME 1on1 Mapping challenge

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Judging system for contest

• Open (Community decideds whether Hourences gets to stay in the house)

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Closed (It's up to the corrupt judges to have the final say)

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
It's simple, make a 1on1 map! But it has to be unique, not your usual hardcore, tight Cliffy B pretzel shaped map.
It can be assault, it can be bombing run, it can be onslaught, it can be DoubleDom, it can even be jailbreak or CTF4. It doesn't matter what the gametype is. Also, it doesn't matter what the platform is. You can make it for any unreal game.

Examples of valid maps:
A 1on1 warfare map for ut3.
A 1on1 domination map for ut99 or a classic domination map for ut2004 and UT3.
A 1on1 coop map for unreal. (No idea how that would work but if you feel like it then go for it!)
A 1on1 onslaught map for UT2004.
A 1on1 assault map for UT99 or UT2004.
A 1on1 Jailbreak map for UT99, UT2003 or UT2004.
A 1on1 Ctf4 map for UT99 or UT2004.
A 1on1on1on1 CTF4 map for UT99 or ut2004 is also valid.
A 1on1on1on1 DOM map for UT or UT3 is acceptable.

Essentially as long as it looks good, plays well under 1on1 conditions and plays uniquely it is acceptable. Gimmick is the name of the game in this contest, none of that hardcore 1337 floorplan business! This demands outside the box thinking and must be stuffed with uniqueness.

Rules in general:
1. You can submit as many maps as you want.
2. There is no dead line. The challenge will continue until it appears obvious that it is time to choose a winner.
3. Custom content is allowed but it will not affect the score in any way. Unless it is a custom script or a piece of kismet that serves to further the uniqueness of your map in terms of gameplay. So you can use a custom music track, but it wont make a difference in your score unless it fits the level like a glove, otherwise it will just be ignored by the judge.
4. For four team gametypes you can choose to have it 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 or simply 1 v 1

Marking criteria:
Uniqueness 50%
Fun factor 30%
Build 10%
Visuals 10%

Both "Fun factor" and "Build" will be severely affected if the bots don't work, so make sure you polish your level. However, if your map is so unique that bots simply can't be used then I will let it pass.
"Build" means botpathing and all those little touches like a suitable level description and pwnworthy music choice. Framerate and optimisation get considered here.
Visuals will be judged relative to the platform you are building your map on. So just because you can use coronas in UT99 but you can't do it on unreal doesn't mean your score will be negatively affected if you chose to make your map for unreal.

Submission: When submitting your maps just make a thread in the content release board and put "1on1 challenge" in the thread title. Also post here with a link to the thread. Whenever i get the time i will update this post to include links to any new submissions.

Judging:
Unless someone else wants to help, i will be the one judging which map is the most unique on each platform. But if you want to help with the judging drop a post here and say so. An alternative to a private judging system is to organise a voting thread where everyone votes on their favourite map. I can't decide so please vote in the poll.

Additional notes:
If you choose to do a CTF-1on1 level then make sure to keep it unique. Good examples of this are Epic's CTF-1on1-Joust and G.lecter's CTF-Opposite.
You might wonder how a 1on1 jailbreak map is even possible, that is no excuse, I'm sure you could find a way. Maybe something to do with escaping the jail via obstacle course before a time limit expires?
You might have noticed that i said you could do a CTF4-1on1 level. I am not messing with you and it just goes to show how different this contest is supposed to be. I don't know how it would work, but you must find a way. I can already imagine a twist on joust that involves four flags.

Ctf and dm maps are going to be biased against in the judging process in a NEGATIVE way because they've been done before and unless they are really unique i see no reason to rate them highly in the context of this contest.

Seeing as any unreal game is an acceptable platform to make your map there will be one pack for each platform. If UT3 is your prefered flavour then you can take the 1on1UT3Pack. If UT2004 is the name of your game you can have the 1on1UT2k4Pack.

Look at the marking criteria and notice that visuals don't get considered as much as fun factor and uniqueness. So while your level should still look decent, don't spend all your time on the visuals. Of course, there's no deadline right now, so you've got as long as you want to work on the visuals once the core gameplay has been dealt with.

Epic flame board thread just for reference (lol, first reply in that thread is a from a flaming troll)
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=624803

And the Unreal playground thread
http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/showthread.php?p=575468

Good luck!

Submissions:
Chaos Snake. UT99 Domination. Sharpring
Chaos Snake. UT99 Domination. SharpringSE
Chaos Snake. UT2004 Bombing Run. MetallicMadness
Wises. UT99 CTF. Joust][
2Face. UT99 Deathmatch. Virg'Vithalus
TurdDrive. UT2004 Bombing Run. Oxidise

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

sweet! Can't wait to see what you produce. lol, i checked that sig of yours and found that you already have some nice experience with out-there level design: What the heck is bounce deathmatch?! :lol:

I've also decided to change the rules a little bit. If the gametype you chose is a gametype that uses four teams then the maximum player count you can have is 4 players, one for each team.
But if you somehow manage to pull of a four team map that only requires 2 players then your chances on the "uniqueness" front pretty much tripled.

Don't forget that by "4 team gametypes" i am refering to all of them; this includes domination ut99 edition and ut3 edition. They both support 4 teams so if you want to make a 1on1on1on1 map in those gametypes you can.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
It's a cool idea :tup:, I hope it doesn't turn into a mindless 'originality' contest, it would only be interesting if the submitted entries were fun to play and had more or less solid gameplay...
The 1on1 rule seems a little restrictive IMO, sure it's an unexplored area with lots of potential, but there are other ways to come with something new (maps with moving parts, perhaps?) More people might feel interested if it was a general 'gimmick mapping' contest...
Just my 2 cents, hope it is a success! Thanks for mentioning my map btw. :)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Why on UT3 forums, oh why on the UT3 forums?! This should go to Mapping or something. No one is going to see your thread otherwise.

TheIronKnuckle

Yeah, i had no idea WHERE to put it. This applies to all unreal games but there is no board for that. Hopefully hal or brizz will stick it up as a news item.

It's a cool idea :tup:, I hope it doesn't turn into a mindless 'originality' contest, it would only be interesting if the submitted entries were fun to play and had more or less solid gameplay...
The 1on1 rule seems a little restrictive IMO, sure it's an unexplored area with lots of potential, but there are other ways to come with something new (maps with moving parts, perhaps?) More people might feel interested if it was a general 'gimmick mapping' contest...
Just my 2 cents, hope it is a success! Thanks for mentioning my map btw. :)

Well, part of the criteria for the maps are that they be solid and fun factor goes for 30%. There's no deadline so there is no reason why it shouldn't be visually acceptable and structurally solid too.
I was considering making it a general gimmick mapping contest, but i've always wanted to see a 1on1 onslaught map that actually works somehow, so i've put it out as a 1on1 contest. 1on1 also means the build time for each level should be significantly reduced.
And one last thing is that this is a challenge instead of a contest. IE, there has to be some big constraint that can't be ignored. That is the 1on1 aspect.
Oh, your map is great! I couldn't not mention it :lol:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Just a thought before I put the news on the front page... may I suggest re-writing your first post to be more clear and concise? There are lots of edits and rule changes, and some strong formatting would help make it easier to read.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Just a thought before I put the news on the front page... may I suggest re-writing your first post to be more clear and concise? There are lots of edits and rule changes, and some strong formatting would help make it easier to read.

Love the tits avatar though - keep that.

TheIronKnuckle

Yeah, i was worrying about that myself.....
I'll get to it

All done!

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I wish I was a mapper. Wait a minute! I have made and played a couple of very basic maps I have made in the UT3 editor so I guess I am a mapper of the lowest possible order.

I want to get more into mapping, but I can't find the time for it. Too much on the tellie and on the net.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Heck I'll join in on some oldskool ut'99 mapping!

Fuzz you don't have to have major knowledge to make a working map for either ut99 or ut2k4. I say join in it's actually fun to make maps on occations.

TheIronKnuckle

You might wonder how a 1on1 jailbreak map is even possible, that is no excuse, I'm sure you could find a way. Maybe something to do with escaping the jail via obstacle course before a time limit expires?
The idea is to think outside the box. You need to find a way to MAKE it work. I have no clue how a 1 on 1 jailbreak map would work, but if someone manages to pull it off effectively then they will surely get ranked highly in the uniqueness area, which accounts for 50% of the final score.

Same with ctf4. Just because it is a 4 team gametype doesn't mean you can't have 2 players and 4 flags.

Essentially, there are NO constraints on what it possible aside from making it 1on1.

Last edited:

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
Huh. What a cool contest. I made a 1v1 assault map for the "5-cubes" mapping contest, which was a lot of fun, so this sounds like a great idea, though it's pretty ambitious, with the open format, and all.

Last edited: