The WIP Screenshot Thread!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Thanks, I'm trying, i just don't really understand how triming works, i always seem to screw it up.

And i have to thank you Bazzwano and Safeguard for the idea of conceptualizing rooms, it seriously works.

are yes.. i just draw a shell and think about what meshs I hav to work with and draw it it... helps me to add the max details that I can. good to hear its helping

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Nobody else wants to bother to comment or give advise?

Anyone willing to give some help on room design, maybe just do some paint drawings overtop of these, for i'm not that great, and i just wanna know what you guys think would work good.

Here i'm planning to have this be a large openning to large multi-tiered room (well two floors really), should i carry on with the same style of arches for this doorway as well?

Just ideas on stuff i can fix, i'm still confused by the trimming, I'm considering if that little room will lead off to an underground complex of sorts (i have found these amazing concept pictures from the Riddick game that would work quite well). Any thoughts?

UP

Hehe Ill do this for you... i'm at work and dont have a scanner so ill have to use paint... but would be fun to help

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Mr. UglyPants: Slainchild causally said something in some thread a couple weeks ago that opened my eyes somewhat as to how level design is supposed to go. It seems so obvious but I'd never thought of it before and thus could never make any brush layout I made look good.

He basically said that meshes aren't supposed to be placed/hung on brushes as enhancements but are supposed to be replacements for the brushes wherever possible. That's not to say that every brush should be replaced, but doing so with a good portion of them will keep the gameplay scale intact and keep the visuals from being too repetitive (in theory). I can see by those screenshots that you're going the "enhancement" route by sticking meshes onto existing brushes. Going about it in the other way will probably look better as well as give you more ideas on how to get things going. :)

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Nobody else wants to bother to comment or give advise?

Anyone willing to give some help on room design, maybe just do some paint drawings overtop of these, for i'm not that great, and i just wanna know what you guys think would work good.

Here i'm planning to have this be a large openning to large multi-tiered room (well two floors really), should i carry on with the same style of arches for this doorway as well?

Just ideas on stuff i can fix, i'm still confused by the trimming, I'm considering if that little room will lead off to an underground complex of sorts (i have found these amazing concept pictures from the Riddick game that would work quite well). Any thoughts?

UP

Hehe Ill do this for you... i'm at work and dont have a scanner so ill have to use paint... but would be fun to help

did this in my 15 min break CAN SOME ONE TELL WHAT HOW TO TAG THIS SMALLER???
helpcr0rf3.jpg

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Mr. UglyPants: Slainchild causally said something in some thread a couple weeks ago that opened my eyes somewhat as to how level design is supposed to go. It seems so obvious but I'd never thought of it before and thus could never make any brush layout I made look good.

He basically said that meshes aren't supposed to be placed/hung on brushes as enhancements but are supposed to be replacements for the brushes wherever possible. That's not to say that every brush should be replaced, but doing so with a good portion of them will keep the gameplay scale intact and keep the visuals from being too repetitive (in theory). I can see by those screenshots that you're going the "enhancement" route by sticking meshes onto existing brushes. Going about it in the other way will probably look better as well as give you more ideas on how to get things going. :)

quite true. to some extent, bring up safeguard in the editior and press w to hide meshes.. the center hall competly opens up to the side walls, and nothign in the middle... good exsample of this

Last edited:

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
I'm trying, i definatly understand how with UT3 its more for replacing BSP with SM, i'm still just trying to even do a good BSP level.

OMG, thanks a ton Bazzwano, wow that makes so much sense, Can't see how i was so silly as to not see that, than again, guess it takes years of mapping to see.
Kind of funny, but i had already started working on (before seeing this post) on that part where you said to hallow it out and put lights in it, did it a weirder way, your way seems to make more sense.

Just two things, i can't make out the words that for the yellow globes and word that is in between the grey dashes.

Also, what is anyones thoughts on the 4 crates? I know they don't fit in that well, but i haven't a clue what to replace them with.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
OMG, thanks a ton Bazzwano, wow that makes so much sense, Can't see how i was so silly as to not see that, than again, guess it takes years of mapping to see.

lol safguard was my first map (first time using Ue3 also)... but i have experience using the editors in the past for editing existing levels, mainly for better bot pathing... i think its just a creative thing

stupid ms paint going fuzzy, the only words there are, windows, support,, trim, display, subtract

ummm my idea for the "yellow globs" they are just lights in the subtracted area that you can even put a grill over, should make a good effect

Last edited:

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Very WIP and only worklights are used for now. Also, textures may be changed later on and some deco will becomes static meshes.

It will be a 5vs5 CTF-map with a more oldskool layout. Don't like big CTF-maps at all (i'm more a Quake3-player) so thats why i'm aiming for a more smaller map with alot of ''face-to-face''-action. The basic layout is done and right now i'm detailing the map and playing with textures/deco's. This map will use a lot of custom content and it will be a construction area-styled theme.

What you see here is the flag-room of a team. (those red trims are my work-textures for entrances/doorways etc)

This really reminds me of Team Fortress 2 so far :) Perhaps because of the lighting, even though its only temporary, or because of the simplistic look. Looks good so far.

bignick0193

Feb 18, 2008
nice maps guys can one of you please show me a detailed video or page on how to make maps? I resarched everything that made sense to search but couldn't find any of it useful. I made a little square with a hydrant and I'm now stuck

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
nice maps guys can one of you please show me a detailed video or page on how to make maps? I resarched everything that made sense to search but couldn't find any of it useful. I made a little square with a hydrant and I'm now stuck

everything i know was self tought, and from watching the DVD videos. just add subtract, and learn, basic lighting and from there you will be fine.. the DVDs cover the basics

bignick0193

Feb 18, 2008
thank you I messed around some more and figured out some more things. All i can say is for people that just got and are having problems like me never give up and practice, practice, practice. thats what I've been doing and its starting to work

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Most of the designers who have been around for quite a while are entirely self taught. In a way I would suggest you learn most of it on your own as you will likely learn it a bit better that way but a lot of things such as how to make movers, or just tips on using basic lighting might be better to find a tutorial for. Best way to do lighting when your starting out though is to just open up stock maps and see how they do it and the techniques that are used. Every map uses different techniques so just pick which ever is easiest for you and go with it.

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
Most of the designers who have been around for quite a while are entirely self taught. In a way I would suggest you learn most of it on your own as you will likely learn it a bit better that way but a lot of things such as how to make movers, or just tips on using basic lighting might be better to find a tutorial for. Best way to do lighting when your starting out though is to just open up stock maps and see how they do it and the techniques that are used. Every map uses different techniques so just pick which ever is easiest for you and go with it.

QFT

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
[WIP] VCTF-Retro][

[SCREENSHOT]http://aycu39.webshots.com/image/45678/2003245132158912622_rs.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/45109/2003254117068835816_rs.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/44508/2003265323023763872_rs.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

I decided to remake it since the whole complexity of the level made it interesting to play in UT2004. Most of the gameplay has changed, like I added 2 tunnels on each side, you can see them on the second screen, the other is almost facing it on the other side, and the stupid "Not so obvious" camp room just above the flag is gone.

I know the buildings could use a little more variation but I really like it the way it is right now. And yes I ported the map using the XP's converter. It was quite a mess to rearrange all the brushing, it's now that I see how I improved after the years.

And don't worry, the screenshots you seen are using fake light preview, resulting the huge flashy roofs and stuff.

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Dm-NightAtWork

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=My Map 2 Pic (1).jpg
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=My Map 2 Pic (3).c56.jpg
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=My Map 2 Pic (5).jpg
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=My Map 2 Pic (6).jpg

This is the second real map i have made for anything and at the moment is in beta 1 stage. It is actually a bit different to the shots now with changes to lighting and more staticmeshes. It hasn't been annonced here but you can find it at epic forums if you want.