UT2003 maps working in UT2004?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I probably won't be doing this (installing UT2004 on my new laptop and not UT2003) until later this summer, but I was wondering how many UT2003 maps (stock and custom) work in UT2004? Obviously, most if not all of the stock maps now have UT2004 versions, so I guess this question mostly pertains to custom maps. What's a good percentage of how many UT2003 maps work in UT2004 (not including the ones already converted of course)?

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I think most of them should work. I've never had any problems except for when maps have weapons from UT2003 mods included.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
They'll work but the skybox will be screwed up. It looks like you're in a big cube. lol

I don't think there's really any way to fix it though.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Yes, UT2003 maps work perfectly in UT2004. The reverse is not true however. The only difference you encounter are:
-Scale: the camera is higher in UT2004, so items seem smaller, even though there is no actual difference.
-Skyboxes: as Arnox said, at some point between UT2003 and UT2004, sky renders were changed to TC_Clamp instead of TC_Wrap, so that the textures do not have the infamous 'edge of the cube' problem. It works, but it means unless by chance the textures were aligned on the right coordinates (which would be an AMAZING chance), then it will look like a big cube of almost solid colours.
-Weapon bases are different, though this has absolutely no impact and is almost unnoticed in normal gameplay.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Staticmesh collision tends to regress in UT2004 so custom maps that cover and wall up with them will break. Unlike the skybox clamp issue, this is beyond cosmetic.