UT Interface

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
Hey guys, since i currently don't have the money to get me a subscription to start some mapping i figured id try something a bit different.

here is a first stab at the main interface for the new game, it tries to combine what we know and loved about UWindows with some more modern interface designs.

its just a first screen with some initial ideas.

the character on the right would be the players selected character (including all "hats")

credit for the logo on the bottom goes to crotale, i took it from his thread over at the UT dev forums

[SCREENSHOT]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/867177/UT_Main_InterFace_01.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

thoughts?

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
Looks pretty good. plays well to the classic look, while being a bit more modern, and dare I say it, adaptable to "other controllers". Nice meaty text too ;)

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Clean and sleek is good, but there has to a sense of force and power there. The original UT screens had the logo in the middle, combined with a epic song to boot. Match that in terms of style.

CaSCaDe

Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
a little update to the main interface - just some minor tweaks and additions

[SCREENSHOT]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/867177/UT_Main_InterFace_01_02.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

mainly the background logo, the bottom logo and a player card showing the player name, player clan, friends online, new messages and upcoming scheduled clan matches

also..... server browser....

[SCREENSHOT]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/867177/UT_Main_InterFace_02.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

credits:
The background image is by Ivo Nies - its an entry for the polygon art competition.
the background ut logo is by Hi-Ban over at the art forums
the character is an Epic UE4 demo character

CaSCaDe

Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
that is what i like about it. clean and flat. i have tried several different looks for the boxes. from gradients to textures and outlines. but it all looked off to me.
any suggestions or recommendations to make it less flat in your eyes?

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Clean is good. However totally flat looks like a website made in MS frontpage back in 1997. To much detail can be detracting also though so I can appreciate your trepidation. Subtle seems to be the trend atm.

I find I explain better with visual aids.
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/uVb2tNC.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

I put an ever so slight gradient behind 'Browser' Though I didn't think about it's direction and from a flow perspective since you are trying to direct a users vision downwards the gradient should have been vertical instead of horizontal.

Putting icons in full color while keeping the rest minimal results in a nice sharp look. I only colored the 2 stars and the check marks. Since the star is an on/off switch i put to variations for illustration purposes.

I put borders around a few things in either a similar lighter or similar darker color depending if the object was light or dark that I was trying to set off from the background. This helps to differentiate between edges.

I also stuck chevrons on one of the buttons just as an illustration, not sure where you might go with it, but a button isn't much good if even the new people can't pick it out as such pretty quick.

In game the black background texture could be a shader that blurs and/or warps things slightly that it overlays or even has a slight shine (the options are endless) that would bring some life to it also.

CaSCaDe

Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
i did some tweaking based on your suggestions, didn't like all of it, but you made some good points.

[SCREENSHOT]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/867177/UT_Main_InterFace_02_02.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

also did a quick colorize to show possible custom shader colors

[SCREENSHOT]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/867177/UT_Main_InterFace_02_03.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/867177/UT_Main_InterFace_02_04.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Looking good. I wasn't sure if anybody got what I meant by using shaders to color things with alpha channel based transparency. One could even use the alpha channel or a mask to control what gets colorized.

The borders around things, especially the gradiated borders you used, do allot to unflatten the look of this while keeping it clean and may even go far enough on their own to perhaps make other gradients superfluous.

I would like to point out how the word unreal jumps off the page. As you probably know saturation or just vivid colors can be a good way to direct focus around a page. Animation is another good way but is best reserved for specific uses in hud/menu design. Just food for thought as you move forward with this.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
One of the things I really like about the UT99/UT2004 interface is that it had right-click context menus. That was a pretty awesome little touch and I would really love to see that come back again in full force.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
What about 4:3 in mind? You have to have some areas to be dynamic enough to fit the necessary info in that old aspect.

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
One of the things I really like about the UT99/UT2004 interface is that it had right-click context menus. That was a pretty awesome little touch and I would really love to see that come back again in full force.

I agree too! The menu in UT99 and UT2k4 really rocks!

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
What about 4:3 in mind? You have to have some areas to be dynamic enough to fit the necessary info in that old aspect.

The beauty of flat/subtle is if you chop up the elements correctly it scales basically infinitely in any direction. It allows the application to determine the size of fields, fonts, backgrounds, text boxes, etc. and reformat to fit the selected resolution regardless of aspect ratio with little to no quality loss.

UTNemesis

Feb 24, 2008
I really like what you've got so far on your concepts. I wonder how long it will be before Epic starts to seriously consider the UI?

Uncouth

Nothing to see here
May 10, 2006
No place I wanna be.
I like this so far. I think it would be sweet if the background was a real, while you're at your character on the main menu things are happening in the background and you're character is just kinda standing around, maybe give them some stuff to say to mess with the player if they have to stand there to long. Check out the Borderlands 2 main menu to get the just of what I'm talking about.

Everything looks awesome though.