If UT4 was announced...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
What new features would you like to see implemented? Personally, I think Unreal Tournament needs to get more realistic in it's own world if that makes any sense to you guys. I have some ideas on this.

1. More weapons! And make them good. A real Unreal Tournament would probably introduce more and more weapons as it went along while still hanging on to the oldies

2. Better, more alive environments to play in. For example, in a new version of Deck 16, you can see the refinery actually process the acid, see it moving, that sort of thing. Destructible and more interactive environments would be awesome too.

3. Some competitive features built in.

4. More great mutators are ALWAYS welcome. Give the single player/admin as much control over his IA/server matches as possible.

5. Get more involved with the mapping community and set up and maintain an official one-stop-shop for all maps for UT4 instead of forcing the players to make their own separate sites and communities. Make it easy to upload, download. and review maps. This will save players a lot of the hassle of trying to track down maps.

6. Have the option of customizing the movement to mimic any of the past UT games or set it exactly how you want it yourself.

7. Get bots to play as human-like as possible. I understand that this would be very hard though.

8. More gametypes and as much configuration on them as possible. Again, the more options, the better I say when it comes to UT.

I think I might still be missing some points but there you go anyway. I think that if all of these features were implemented into UT4, we'd have a flawless FPS on our hands.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Bring back the Ripper and stay away from anything UT2k3/4 everything-wise except the good industrial theme.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Make modding easier, for example, add more checks in GameInfo and things like Pawn so mutators would have more control, and make code as less hardcoded as possible, for example, not rely on there being only 2 teams.

UBerserker, you, sir, are biased :D

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Being those games the reasons of why I lost interest in the UT series until UT3, then that's an important thing to me.

EDIT: More DM, more DM! I loved the UT3's one, it was the best version of that gametype.

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Make modding easier, for example, add more checks in GameInfo and things like Pawn so mutators would have more control, and make code as less hardcoded as possible, for example, not rely on there being only 2 teams.

UBerserker, you, sir, are biased :D

4 Team domination worked in UT3, so it seems to work.

I'd be happy with UT3, just on the new Engine version tbh, with some bugs fixed and some issues resolved.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
Make maps more colorful, not just all gray and brown. And make maps that aren't just industrial or indoor maps. That gets so boring when so many games out there have only indoor/industrial environments. A little variation never killed anyone. Bring back some of the classic weapons, too.

Also, don't go overboard with bloom.

Animus

bladiebladibla
Sep 24, 2004
in Manta under water
i would like to see UT4 get more go deeper into the warfare gametype, warfare is what made UT3 so awsome in my opinion, the vehicles and hoverboard, which first person shooter has that actually!? its awsome. UT4 should leave all the old **** behind and finally get a step further in the gaming community instead of away from it, so i would like to list the things ut4 should absolutly avoid and dont add.

-no more gametypes, remove greed and betrayel.
-no more servers in hands of Multiplay and masterserver in hands of Gamespy.
-no more single player story line. only make challenges to train for online play

What UT4 should add:
-add more options and depth in warfare and make it the main gamemode people will like to play
-come up with a new unique gamemode like warfare with more rpg fuetures that many people will like, something more addictive and groundbreaking no other fps gamecompany ever thought of adding to a game.
-something more of UT3 what Epic is good in just make something awsome.

what Epic absolutly should do with UT4 is more advertizing and add stuff regular players like, no more ****ting around and adding stuff to satisfie the retired old people. Please if you like to play the original Unreal go install your Pentium 1 with Windows 3.1 and paste your butt to that chair.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Make maps more colorful, not just all gray and brown. And make maps that aren't just industrial or indoor maps. That gets so boring when so many games out there have only indoor/industrial environments. A little variation never killed anyone. Bring back some of the classic weapons, too.

Also, don't go overboard with bloom.

...more colours. Agreed! :)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Colours are fine for me (<3 low desaturation) but remove bloom.
Keep Greed and Betrayal. Remove VCTF.

EDIT: Keep only Instant Action for some offline BotPlay, and not a fourth half-assed Single Player ladder/sportmanager/adventure thing.

Last edited:

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I'd be happy with UT3, just on the new Engine version tbh, with some bugs fixed and some issues resolved.

I'dd gladly pay for a optimized UT3 on the latest engine - and pretty lightmass lighting. Also, make it easier for people to disable bloom and dof.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
2. Better, more alive environments to play in. For example, in a new version of Deck 16, you can see the refinery actually process the acid, see it moving, that sort of thing. Destructible and more interactive environments would be awesome too.
You can already see the acid being moved about in DM-Deck with visuals set to highest just above the sniper area! :D If you open DM-CarbonFire you can even watch an assembly line assemble and move robots all over the map. In almost every map there's plenty of things going on to the point that you could browse each map for hours and still see something new.

But the biggest complaint with UT3's maps were that they were too busy, filled with crap you'd get stuck on and annoying visuals that got in the way or just weren't needed. I know you only play offline so you're seeing it from a different point of view, but ask any online player and they'll probably say the same thing. Less visuals, better and sleeker maps.

6. Have the option of customizing the movement to mimic any of the past UT games or set it exactly how you want it yourself.
Would this be an offline only thing? If so that's fine but you'll only end up splitting the community into minuscule groups online which is exactly what happened with the 2k3/2k4 community and UT3.

8. More gametypes and as much configuration on them as possible. Again, the more options, the better I say when it comes to UT.
Success doesn't rely on quantity but quality. As long as they keep it only a few really polished gametypes the game should be a success. DM/CTF and one other gametype should be what they concentrate on. Maybe they could add Assault back in as a BP gametype later on but the core gametypes need to be perfect before anything else. Talk about splitting communities, like I mentioned before, 2k3/2k4 did exactly that. It had too many gametypes and little by little people split off and we ended up with a fractured community that never regained its former self which resulted in what we have today, a dead player base.

I'd say that UT3 DM/CTF was almost completely perfect, amazing and fun but the game was bugged to all hell, the launch was a disaster and a game that has a bad launch will never recover, no matter how good it is. It's a shame since I think UT3's core is the best so far and the most balanced I've seen out of Epic.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
You can already see the acid being moved about in DM-Deck with visuals set to highest just above the sniper area! :D If you open DM-CarbonFire you can even watch an assembly line assemble and move robots all over the map. In almost every map there's plenty of things going on to the point that you could browse each map for hours and still see something new.

But the biggest complaint with UT3's maps were that they were too busy, filled with crap you'd get stuck on and annoying visuals that got in the way or just weren't needed. I know you only play offline so you're seeing it from a different point of view, but ask any online player and they'll probably say the same thing. Less visuals, better and sleeker maps.

Would this be an offline only thing? If so that's fine but you'll only end up splitting the community into minuscule groups online which is exactly what happened with the 2k3/2k4 community and UT3.

Success doesn't rely on quantity but quality. As long as they keep it only a few really polished gametypes the game should be a success. DM/CTF and one other gametype should be what they concentrate on. Maybe they could add Assault back in as a BP gametype later on but the core gametypes need to be perfect before anything else. Talk about splitting communities, like I mentioned before, 2k3/2k4 did exactly that. It had too many gametypes and little by little people split off and we ended up with a fractured community that never regained its former self which resulted in what we have today, a dead player base.

I'd say that UT3 DM/CTF was almost completely perfect, amazing and fun but the game was bugged to all hell, the launch was a disaster and a game that has a bad launch will never recover, no matter how good it is. It's a shame since I think UT3's core is the best so far and the most balanced I've seen out of Epic.
I understand that you don't want to break apart the UT community even more but think about it. You say that the core gametypes need more polishing and less of them. How can it be polished even more? I see absolutely nothing wrong with the core gametypes. The reason why I want more variety is that people tire from playing the same thing over and over again. I don't know what you mean by fracturing the UT community by giving them more options. We have hundreds of mods and maps for UT2004 and yet, I still see a fair amount of standard servers of all gametypes. More options would attract a bigger crowd. I'm not suggesting that we make everything new, I just think that a lot more could be added to make it awesome.

One of the great beauties of the Unreal Tournament series is that the game only has to meet very basic criteria to be called an Unreal Tournament game. It has almost limitless potential as a universal FPS.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The problem with a game like UT3 is that the core gametypes end up with issues that can only be explained by pandering to the... let's say inaccuracy... of vehicle gametypes. This is also a core way in which UT2004 was horrible compared to UT2003. It's extremely difficult to not only balance people on feet against each other and vehicles, but, more importantly, develop netcode that is optimal in both situations.

Offline they work great, but online they are a pain.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
No 3D! (So ppl can play UT4 with their iPads.)
No netcode. (online ppl are all aimbots anyway)

It should be called "Unreal Championship Manager 2011"
You could buy/sell fighters, set them to train skills like accuracy. Oh, and setup some formations.

It should be easily hooked up to social networks like twitter and facebook.

Ok, the menu screens should have really heavyweight 3d stuff on the background.

And the announcer should swear like a pirate!

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Have to agree about more colour and less annoying details. Detail is fine, but there is so much detail everywhere that it becomes even more detailed than objects in real life :\ And that's incredibly distracting, especially when coupled with collision. You think you will bounce off this branch? Think again! You go right through it! What's this, you want to fire a rocket? Oh that's too bad, the branch now collides perfectly and you just blew yourself away.