Ubuntu 9.10 Server/UT2k4 dedicated : Doesn't start

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
I downloaded & unzipped the server then I made .ini for the server.

When I tried to start it, it gave me an error.

This is what I typed:
./ucc-bin server ONS-Torlan?game=Onslaught.ONSOnslaughtGame ini=UT2004.ini log=UT2004.log -nohomedir &

This is what I get:
./ucc-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have a libstdc++.so.6 in /usr/lib/

I tried to symlink it, but it did nothing.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's the major problem of running relatively old Linux games on constantly changing distros like Ubuntu. 9.10 uses a new version of libstdc++ (ver. 6) that doesn't work with UT2004 (needs ver. 5)

For the record, 9.10 broke a lot of things...it was so bad I had to go back to using 9.04 :p

Last edited:

ScottAngry

Jan 17, 2010
Hi - I was hoping you may be able to post the resolve as the link to the resolve lands at a forum board that is currently down - many thanks in advance.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Necro bump update... :)

The deb package above won't work for Lucid Lynx 10.04, but I found a way to install it.

1. Go to System > Adminstration > Software Sources and click on the "Other Software" tab.

2. Click add and type
Code:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
- don't worry about getting an error on missing public key for now.

You can also add the line to the /etc/apt/sources.list file, but be sure to type afterwards
Code:
sudo apt-get update

3. If you're using a terminal window, type
Code:
sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
...or just get the libstdc++5 package from Synatic if you so choose.

4. Once that's installed, you should remove or comment out the debian lenny line so it doesn't screw up Update Manager.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
Thanks for the update.

The first links seems to be broken, but the latter update works

For those using Ubuntu server, as there's no synaptic only console, you'll have to: add the line into the sources.list -file -> update -> install -> ... -> profit :)

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Glad it works for you... :)

Shame you can't use Synatic on Ubuntu anymore, I've been using Linux Mint, which still has it, for half year now and it works great.