Duke Nukem Forever Comments

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dean Avanti

who watches the watchers
May 13, 2002
UK
do they have a publisher, if yes and they have good backing then they should be ashamed, if they don't have a publisher and don't have the money for development then i think its very understandable, you get what you pay for, if they don't have backing then no game its that simple.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Dean, yes they do have a publisher (can't quite remember who), and from what I remember from a while back, 3DR have been pretty rude to them.

The question is how *can* you be too excited about this game, we have absolutely no knowledge of what's in the current build (all the old screenshots and info are now of course obsolete as that build was scrapped) beyond the obvious, and it's been an incredibly long time since the last FPS Duke game. For all we know, the devs might have lost their touch with time- John Romero took a long bit of time-out to make Daikatana and look how that ended up. Some might say the same of Id with Doom 3. God knows Sega's Sonic team hasn't been up to scratch since they moved on from 16-bit consoles. Personally I won't get my hopes up on DNF until I see something juicy pump out of 3D Realms.

Last edited:

Dean Avanti

who watches the watchers
May 13, 2002
UK
I want to know the real reason that the game isn't done, i heard a lot of vagueness about this, it has to be down to one of 2 things either they dont have the funding or they don't have the staff or theres more to this than what we are hearing, something has happened that we are not hearing, possible involving a disagreement some law issue, then a lack of co operation on some level, something out of the norm is happening for sure.

well i just read here
http://money.cnn.com/2003/06/11/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/
3dr is self funded so as i see it thay can take as long as they want, always nice to see an independant developer laying their own rules down.

Last edited:

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
hal said:
3DR is self-sufficient afaik.
Well, they might be on their own now (I haven't been following the situation particularly closely) but I do remember someone at 3DR, Broussard I think, bit the head off their publisher a year or two ago when they voiced some displeasure about the fact that they hadn't seen anything of the game they were financing. I think you're right though, the two aren't affiliated anymore.

Dean Avanti

who watches the watchers
May 13, 2002
UK
id like to know if the game has always been developer funded, if it is then the publisher cant say nothing, they bring nothing so they take nothing, seems all they are is distribution if thats the case, id love to know the full story on this one.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Question: How many of the DNF team members are working on other games at the same time? I get the feeling this is more of a hobby for them now. It's like they're working on selling games like Prey during the day and then only touching duke at night, as if it were some kind of mod...

...a ut2003 mod.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
Prey is not in house, they gave it to another developer... Since Duke 3d all the games from 3drealms have been done by other developers. Everyone points to prey as proof they are doing something, but it's not them doing it, Human Head Studios is. They should have plenty of man power for duke when everyone else is making all there games for them. Maybe it's time to let someone else do duke also. Then we know it will get released.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
DNF = Duke Nukem Forever, did not finish, did knot Finnish:D
LTFTG = let them finish the game
ADIDAS = all day I dream about sex
ADIDAD = all day I dream about duke

OK, I'm just babbling there but this doesn't make any sense at all either. It's been fun bashing Duke, but I'm still curious and kinda looking forward to the release of this one. I don't expect it to be mind-blowing, but it should be decent.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
hmm..... heres some advice on the level of such lame critisism.

Put your head between your legs and fart. It will blow your mind.

oh and shadow warrior was made/released post dn3d as was Balls of Steel. Though I don't remember if the latter was thuroughly 3dr's doing.

MozTS

Us And Them
Sep 12, 2004
More like Duke Nukem Never.

I'd kill for a new shadow warrior game. Lo wang is awesome.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
I apologize. I forgot about Shadow Warrior. Balls of steel though was Wildfire Studios.
So that makes two games in house. Both with the build engine. Shadow warrior was from May 1997.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Ok, so here's another question. How many of you here are too young to have ever played or remember d3d? The side scrollers don't count. Not that the game is going to be kid-friendly to begin with, but by the time it's released nearly every reviewer out there will have to break out the 3.5 floppies just to refresh their memory.

To be fair, I didn't know about the original 2d game until after I'd played d3d. Which explained my puzzlement at d3d's title for so long... :)

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Caravaggio said:
Ok, so here's another question. How many of you here are too young to have ever played or remember d3d?

why would you care about something like that?

Anyway, I was really into PC gaming since the original Castle Wolfenstien... that old top down view with just 16 or so colors (if you were lucky enough to have a color monitor). Then the sequel, Castle WOlfenstein 2. omg so fun.

Saw reviews on the original DukeNukem, but didn't have the power to play... until Duke Nukem 3-d came out a few years later.... and boy was I in heaven.

Actually, come to think about it more, the two games I first played on PC were BoulderDash and Karateka (the IBM compatible versions)
but my console experience goes back WAY before that.
________
CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
When this game comes out, someone please ship me 400 tons of ice salt. I'm going to need it, if you know what I mean.

Rocketman

Apr 10, 2000
Birmingham,AL,US
www.ts3d.com
3DR started over before UT2003 came out, Probably right around 2002. They wanted to incorporate static meshes, they also switched to normal mapping about the same time. So they've been trucking hot and heavy for the past 3 years. I believe in 3DR, and I know they'll deliver the most kick ass game we've ever played. You can bank on it.

I'd look for the game 2006-2007.