So I went to a psychiatric center...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
My doctor advised to go in a psychiatric hospital as I was in bad mental shape. I went in in December and should be leaving this week.

Thought I'd end up with some people that are slightly cuckoo but found most people in the service to be more or less normal. A relief because the movies give these places a bad and possibly out of date reputation.

What's surprising is the number of people in these places, some because of alcohol problems, others for a change of medication, yet others because of depression, etc. What's also surprising is the fact that some people have been in the system for years if not decades.

Lastly, these places might be a goldmine for whoever is running the place. Not sure how much a stay costs but it's not cheap and all this is being paid by social security.

So what do you think of this ? Do you see any necessity in people staying in a kind of hospital when they're down in the dumps ? Have you ever been in a similar place ?

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Medication can majorly fuck you up mentally. It's a good thing that exposed people get to stay in a place like this while switching meds.

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
There are no medications that can fix mental problems, we only have drugs that can balance brain a bit better but never cure cause. I have member of family who has schizophrenia, he almost killed self this winter because of depression. He got new drug because old one (that kept him well for over 10 years) was discontinued, and new had side effect of depression for him.

And indeed those hospitals, and diabetics, well every long lasting illness is gold mine. That is why nobody really wants to develop cure for it, they only develop drugs that make life bit easier with it, so they can continue to sell those drugs. Same with malaria nobody works on it because people that have it are usually very poor.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I think mental facilities are alright. If they are helping you then why would you question it.

In the late 90s I had GF that was a headache, but she let me stick it in her butt. I was kind of depressed then, so the doctor put me on Zoloft. I stayed on that for two or three years non-stop and it's kind of like slow release cocaine. I was kind of shitty to people my friends said, but I didn't realize it. I did realize that I wasn't bothered by things that should bother me. That made me realized I needed to get off that stuff. I told the doctor and he said if I wanted to quit that I should half my dose for a week and then be done with it. Holy fuck was that my first experience with addiction. I didn't crave the pills or anything, but I wanted everything and everyone to die over the slightest little things for about a week or so. Rage fucking pissed.

Anyway, now I just excersise regularly and that seems to keep me in balance. If I don't work out for a week or so I can tell my mental health starts to suffer. Fucked? I don't know, but that's how my brain works.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
smoke weed.

Weed cures a lot of problems. I was reading stories about people smoking weed because it's the only thing that cures their cluster headaches and from what i hear, nothing is even close to as harsh as cluster headaches. They call them suicide hadaches because many people kill themselves from it and i don't blame them. If people wanna cure their depression, go float in an isolation tank.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Weed cures a lot of problems.

In rare cases it might cause some too. There was a guy in my room smoking weed despite rules saying it wasn't allowed. He seemed aggressive each time and it might have been exacerbating the schizophrenia he said he had.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
You're not the only one Al.

A UT player I knew visited me a few years ago and brought along two friends with one from the Netherlands. We were talking in the kitchen when the second guy said he wasn't touching any of the stuff as his perception/mood or whatever had been altered. It's supposed to just boost dopamine but there's very small chance it can mess someone up.

I myself tried smoking some more recently, never had problems but it didn't go down well this time round. I felt quite ill with the ears ringing and had trouble walking/talking properly. Thankfully managed to sleep it off.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
In rare cases it might cause some too. There was a guy in my room smoking weed despite rules saying it wasn't allowed. He seemed aggressive each time and it might have been exacerbating the schizophrenia he said he had.

That sucks for that person, but it is rare cases like you said. I don't know if there's a study or anything but i'm sure weed helps people FAR more then it hurts. Alcohol is far more dangerous then smoking weed. I personally don't do it anymore because i don't like feeling fucked up for a few days afterwards, but i'm not going to say it's a bad thing because the statistics prove it's not. Don't want to turn this into a weed discussion though, but hope you get better man.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Brave post Zur. Several of you others also mentioned struggles before. Brave of you too I'd say. It is simply my opinion that if a shrink suggest you get help that you get it. On the same note I'd suggest that you stay away from anti-depressant meds that "they will try" to put you on. BBA might have what I consider to be the best answer. I say change your routine and apply tons of exercise in your new routine. Eat healthier. Avoid naps during the day and reduce or stop drugs and alcohol for some decent period of time. Know that I'll be keeping you in my prayers as well. Good luck!

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
depends on the type of mental problem.
hallucinogenic drugs have been shown to provide remarkable breakthroughs with people suffering from certain kinds of psychosis, PTSD, or other depressions.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
hallucinogenic drugs have been shown to provide remarkable breakthroughs with people suffering from certain kinds of psychosis, PTSD, or other depressions.

That is true for MDMA and LSD under professional supervision, which again means a doctor is present. Don't self medicate. Here in Berlin about two years ago a few people ODed on LSD, in the end police found out that a self appointed 'healer' counseled people on MDMA and LSD like the trials in the 60's and proved to be a quack doctor by killing two of his patients.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know the entire Alexander Schulkin story and I think it's big time crap that you can't use these substances for medicinal purposes in the hand of a doctor but weed should never be used for mental problems, weed should never be self medicated to 'treat' depression like many people do. As you know I am all for fully legalizing weed and have mandatory classes for kids in school where they're educated on the pros and cons of drugs.

Mar 6, 2004
That is true for MDMA and LSD under professional supervision, which again means a doctor is present. Don't self medicate. Here in Berlin about two years ago a few people ODed on LSD, in the end police found out that a self appointed 'healer' counseled people on MDMA and LSD like the trials in the 60's and proved to be a quack doctor by killing two of his patients.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know the entire Alexander Schulkin story and I think it's big time crap that you can't use these substances for medicinal purposes in the hand of a doctor but weed should never be used for mental problems, weed should never be self medicated to 'treat' depression like many people do. As you know I am all for fully legalizing weed and have mandatory classes for kids in school where they're educated on the pros and cons of drugs.

What about using an isolation tank to cure depression? It can be pricey, though. It's way more effective then meditating. 1 use in the isolation tank (2-3 hr session) is like 1 week meditating. First knew about the tanks listening to Joe Rogan, then i was reading up and watching videos all about it.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What about using an isolation tank to cure depression? It can be pricey, though. It's way more effective then meditating. 1 use in the isolation tank (2-3 hr session) is like 1 week meditating. First knew about the tanks listening to Joe Rogan, then i was reading up and watching videos all about it.

You mean a flotation tank ? I think they use salt water and are heated to body temp.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002

Along the same lines I tried so-called magic truffle and it seemed to help a bit with anxiety. Some side effects obviously but nothing beyond vivid colours. I wouldn't treat it as medication though. Better to see a doctor though and perhaps something alike exists in the pharmaceutical world.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Oh, Zur,be careful. As people said, it's nonsense really, it's no different than cutting a hole in your head to release demons or whatever, remember that? It's the same thing, well you don't die, but it's just something they think works so they can keep doing it.

Depression is the natural state, the rest is the lie, other things too, other "disorder", when you are on medication you are numb to it, you come back off again you realize things you have missed, things you don't realize. You are existing on medication in a bubble thing, but without it, it's scary, but that is real, it's better to suffer.

And you can see right, they are afraid of you, because their brains aren't like it, I mean the majority you know? They are the wrong ones, just because there is more doesn't mean it is right, we aren't on a straight line towards progress here, it's just a spiral, or some shape. I don't know all the shapes to be honest.

You can't let them stifle it, you can handle it yourself, well trust me OK.