[lolitics]Your thoughts on offshore drilling after this mess.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Until one becomes unstable, collapses, chops the power lines and electrocutes all of the fish!
Because the chances of that happening are greater than an oil platform falling over?

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
LOL! I like how they are trying to sweep it under the rug rather than cleaning it up. On top of it they are pouring chemicals into the ocean that are super toxic and we don't even know the long term effects of. Oh, why are they using this chemical you ask? Because they own the company that makes it. Capitalism in full force. This is what's best for the world!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j7vkPPClc0lhglDZGwYrrcVS185QD9FS6VC03

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
LOL! I like how they are trying to sweep it under the rug rather than cleaning it up. On top of it they are pouring chemicals into the ocean that are super toxic and we don't even know the long term effects of. Oh, why are they using this chemical you ask? Because they own the company that makes it. Capitalism in full force. This is what's best for the world!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j7vkPPClc0lhglDZGwYrrcVS185QD9FS6VC03

They use those chemicals because they are cheapest. Since the government capped their liability at $75 million plus cleanup costs they have no incentive to care about any secondary effects to the ecosystem or private property as long as it cleans up the oil on the cheap. You do not know the difference between corporatism and capitalism.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
they have no incentive to care about any secondary effects to the ecosystem or private property

We're all stuck on the same tiny rock in the middle of incomprehensibly massive space. I'm pretty sure that's incentive enough.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
There is no great public outcry to go green, heck, global warming does not even make sense to many folks. It's almost summer, and when gas prices go above $3 a gallon, folks will not care about anything except their wallet. The cry for cheap gas will be loud and clear. We are just like junkies when it comes to oil.

I say drill drill drill, but make them use that $500,000 automatic backup valve that the other countries make them use when drilling of their coasts. The oil lobby may not argue so hard against it now that the impossible has happened. Sure it will make Cheney and the other oil barons pissed that they have to spend money to prevent another oil spill, but Fv<k them anyway.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Let's burn books while we're at it.
Ah, freedom of speech, I get it! Silly me, how could I forget about that undeniable right that allows the most powerful to scream and shout, while others only have money or strength to whisper? :rolleyes:

Fortunately there's a great way to "fine tune" freedom which is democracy. Seriously, this goes to the heart of the matter. I don't know details about how does the following system work because it only now came to mind that there was such a thing. The lobbying categories identified in this PDF:

Civic interests
  1. Environmental: The nature of environmental issues encourages a transnational perspective
  2. Regions: Citizens in the region may have a strong sense of identity, reinforced perhaps by a distinct language and/or culture, or they may have a durable party-political orientation not represented in the national government.
  3. Community: Organisations of women, human rights activists and other societal interests
  4. Consumers: Consumer groups are among the better resourced organisations in Brussels.
Producer Interest
  1. Business: Large firms have, therefore, intensified their multi-level lobbying in an attempt to influence EU policy.
  2. Professions: Groups representing the professions formed later and came to Brussels later than businessgroups.
  3. Labour: Unions

I suspect that communitarian organizations or regions are way less powerful and vocal than large businesses, labour unions or even environmentalists. Time, effort and resources must be spent in an proportional and ethical manner and not dictated by noise or the ones that do so "because they can"

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Ah, freedom of speech, I get it! Silly me, how could I forget about that undeniable right that allows the most powerful to scream and shout, while others only have money or strength to whisper? :rolleyes:
That's one way to look at it.

Another is that anyone is free to form their own group to make their voices heard. Yes, freedom of speech. The moment you start having someone say who and who can't "lobby" is the moment you

A) Lose true freedom of speech
B) Force people to find more ways "around the system"

Transparency is all that's needed.

As for your list of lobbying groups...

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
That's one way to look at it.

Another is that anyone is free to form their own group to make their voices heard. Yes, freedom of speech. The moment you start having someone say who and who can't "lobby" is the moment you

A) Lose true freedom of speech
B) Force people to find more ways "around the system"
Of course, that's exactly what is illustrated there. Freedom of speech AND special attention to the ones equally important but don't or can't stand out so much.

What I had in mind though, was a documentary about Philip Conney(?) that censored and adultered the global warming scientific reports and his lobbyist friend

As for your list of lobbying groups...
What's wrong with it? Which ones of those you consider that, as you mentioned, "can or can't lobby" ? :p

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Of course, that's exactly what is illustrated there. Freedom of speech AND special attention to the ones equally important but don't or can't stand out so much.

What I had in mind though, was a documentary about Philip Conney(?) that censored and adultered the global warming scientific reports and his lobbyist friend

Alright then well maybe you didn't make your point clearly or I'm just not getting it, but in your first post you said lobbyists should be outlawed. So which are you advocating? They should be outlawed? Or just certain lobbyists should be outlawed?

What's wrong with it? Which ones of those you consider that, as you mentioned, "can or can't lobby" ? :p

All that was wrong with it was that it appeared to be a random list, disconnected to your point. All of them could ethically lobby couldn't they?

Again, my point is freedom of speech + transparency vs. freedom of speech-that-is-in-favour.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Alright then well maybe you didn't make your point clearly or I'm just not getting it, but in your first post you said lobbyists should be outlawed. So which are you advocating? They should be outlawed? Or just certain lobbyists should be outlawed?
I didn't make it clear, sorry. What I mean is that imho the activity is no more than bribery and corruption when the politician gets something in return and lobbying has funds allocated to it, when there's money involved.
All that was wrong with it was that it appeared to be a random list, disconnected to your point. All of them could ethically lobby couldn't they?
That list has the categories of lobbyists as organized by the European Comission, it seems.
Again, my point is freedom of speech + transparency vs. freedom of speech-that-is-in-favour.
Yes, but beside freedom of speech and transparency, I say that additionally there must be equality of access to lobbying and no money involved. If that's what you mean by "freedom of speech-that-is-in-favour", fine