UT GOTY differences to UT99

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
UT GOTY versions do not include Bonus Pack 4, only 1-3.
Also there was no official distinction betweeen GOTY versions, so v432 and v436 are both GOTY despite some visual differences.

Didn't know that. Are there any outward distinctions between versions? I mean on the box?

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
Default UT didn't had patches, GOTY had 436 patch and bonus 1 up to 3 bonus pack 4 wasn't included as I had to DL it separately.
GOTY have a mod CD, but at the time very few people had internet and even knew about modding so the fact some of the most popular mods were on the CD was kind of nice IMHO
In Totally Unreal you have UT GOTY, RTNP and Unreal with their original CDs

They removed the packaged mods in Anthology (even UT2004 ECE had packaged mods) Anthology contains unlike Totally Unreal a DVD with all the unreals Unreal Gold (unreal 1 + RTNP) UT GOTY with all the bonus packs and with the old multiplayer services removed, Unreal 2 and UT2004 ECE without the packaged MSUC mods

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Didn't know that. Are there any outward distinctions between versions? I mean on the box?

Well, original retail release had blue box we all know. It had blue discs.
GOTY version had red retail box and discs were also in red colour.
Later GOTY versions were released in standard DVD cases and had grayscale discs (looked way cheaper TBH).

Some pics for comparison.

Attachments

• ut_front.jpg
    ut_front.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
  • utgoty_front.jpg
    utgoty_front.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 12
  • utgoty_436.jpg
    utgoty_436.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 16
  • ut_discs.jpg
    ut_discs.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 19

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
To be precise, original retail GOTY versions were 432, but later (re-)releases already incorporated patch 436.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Yea I had two different versions too. I didn't use the one with the old menu for very long though. UT GOTY was meant to have also the early tactical ops when it still could be pl;ayed on regular maps and was more like a mod than total conversion(imo i like the version that was meant to be included better than the even more counter strike like game what it has became).

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Well, original retail release had blue box we all know. It had blue discs.
GOTY version had red retail box and discs were also in red colour.
Later GOTY versions were released in standard DVD cases and had grayscale discs (looked way cheaper TBH).

Some pics for comparison.

Good to know and thanks for being so thorough! I have both versions then..that too is good to know!

So many colors...the Totally Unreal with the "first look" at U2 (NA release?) has blue-ish/purple-ish discs (with the 'first look CD, Unreal Gold and 2 UT GOTY CDs) while the Totally Unreal that has Unreal, RTNP and 2 UT CDs which are not GOTY (EU release?) has copper-colored discs.

Anyhow, off-topic...sorry.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
UT GOTY versions do not include Bonus Pack 4, only 1-3.
Oh yeah that's right, I had mistaken a couple of the maps being from BP4, I just checked and they came in the previous ones instead.

Also there was no official distinction betweeen GOTY versions, so v432 and v436 are both GOTY despite some visual differences.
I don't know about this. I made my own clientside Announcer sound package and shared it with a few friends where 2 of them had v432 and their game would crash with an error saying something about version mismatch from v436. After they ran the UT436patch they were able to use the sounds without any problems or mismatches when connecting to servers.

I asked one of the friends to send me his Announcer.uax file in order to test it myself. I edited the file the same way I did with my version and I was getting a mismatch from it when connecting to any server. I'm guessing that Epic did something to the GOTY Edition sound files to prevent mismatches as clients but they cannot be used with any previous versions of the game from what I found out. They probably did this so people can use multi-language sound installation without any problems. But, I'm not really sure if installing UT with another language will give you the sound packages with that language as well, so I cannot verify if that's the case in order to figure out this puzzling matter.