Artifacts outside of icon nodes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Are there any mods that make it so artifacts initially spawn outside of Artifact Nodes? There are ArtifactPickups in the game, but they seem to be a little broken (creates an array out of bounds as these artifacts aren't registered in GameInfo ArtList). I believe I've seen something similar before, but I can't find it any more...

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Actually it's the Community Expansion Pack.

Crystal is the gametype used in some of the maps, where there's a Crystal Node that belongs to no team :) CrystalGarden2 is the map with two of the Artifacts in the Crystal Node at the start of the map (and each team would start with only one Arti in their nodes). Further details about the Crystal gametype should be in the readme... I think :D

The problem with spawning Artifacts outside of any node is simply the fact that it could be inaccessible. You can argue if that's the case the Arti would return to a node after a time out... but at which node?

Another problem with that is balance of the game. If you randomly spawn artifacts, then you will always end up getting more artifacts closer to one side of the map, especially when there is only 4 artifacts... Unless of course there is a Dozen Artis ;)

BTW, I'm not sure but I believe ArtifactPickup is simply dropped artifacts.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea, I looked into Crystal. It would be possible to create 255-teamed invisible icons nodes and spawn them. But you're right - nobody ever pathed XMP, and that means that foreach AllActors(class'NavigationPoint', NP) will give only very few places, usually only vehicle spawn points... Too bad, it seems it's only possible in UTXMP.
And no, ArtifactPickup aren't only dropped artifacts - if they were, the class would be declared as notplaceable. Those classes are used for dropped artifacts, but they were not intended to be used that way... Like I've written, Alpha XMP had artifacts all over the world, placed like ArtifactPickups, which came directly from Unreal II.