UE2 - UT2kX Textures Won't Import

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JimmyPop

Sep 27, 2009
Hey people. I'm new to the whole forum thing and have never done this but I'm hoping I will find the answer I need on here. I tried searching for a related post to my problem for a while and didn't find one so I'm posting...

My problem is with importing textures. I want to create a Doom level using UnrealEd for 2k4. I got a WAD editor to extract the textures from the WAD file and saved them as BMPs. I then went into Photoshop to convert them to the required sizes/dimensions and .TGA files.

I go into the editor, open the texture browser, choose import texture and all that jazz. I name the created package something along the lines of "myLevel" or "myPackage." I then click OK, and the damn file doesn't import. The dialogue box on the texture browser (the one that says which package your viewing) goes blank and reverts to viewing all textures in the entire game. After I make the custom package, it should open it in the browser, but it doesn't.

I have used UnrealEd before and I know the specs required for imported textures and the process to do so. I have never encountered this problem before. Ive tried re-saving the TGAs, re-scaling, restarting the program, even double check the import requirements...nothing. Any thoughts?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Open the log window right after you tried to import the texture file.

What dimensions, color depth and TGA file options did you use? What names did you specify for package, group and texture name? Where did you import the texture from (directory path)?

Often it's better to convert the texture to DTX1/3/5 format for file size reasons. BMPs are best converted to DXT1 without alpha channel or with a potential mask color as the alpha mask. If the exported textures only have 256 colors anyway, you could also just leave them in 256 color BMP format if they already have valid dimensions.

JimmyPop

Sep 27, 2009
Thanks for the reply wormbo. I tried messing around with it a little bit today and using your BMP suggestion, got it to work. The editor imports the BMP files just fine as long as they are the valid dimensions. For some reason it does not like the TGA format of them (maybe because I extracted them from the WAD file???), which I find weird, because that's the format I've used before for importing textures with UnrealEd . I've had no problems in the past.

But, thanks for the help. Now I can get started what I wanted to do for a few months now.

JR100285

Nov 7, 2008
hello! im having the same problem... only thing is im not sure how to format the texture to DTX1/3/5. i tried doing it through photoshop but it doesnt give me the option to do that. and when i try to import it as .tga it says "cannot import because the demensions are not powers of 2" (im not sure what that means...) what should i do?

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
hello! im having the same problem... only thing is im not sure how to format the texture to DTX1/3/5. i tried doing it through photoshop but it doesnt give me the option to do that.

You can do that in the editor once you have imported the texture as a bmp or tga or whatever. Select the texture in the browser, right-click and there is (iirc) a compress option that lets you chose DXT1/3/5.

and when i try to import it as .tga it says "cannot import because the demensions are not powers of 2" (im not sure what that means...) what should i do?

The texture dimensions must be in powers of two e.g. 256x256 pixels, 1024x512 pixels. You cannot use textures with non-power of two dimensions e.g. 530x270 pixels.