Mike Capps Upset About Lower Gears PC Scores

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Matfei

[:«]Ω[»:]:Mױפקזג:]:
Apr 22, 2008
Behind the Great Australian Firewall
But I'm fairly certain that Mike Capps sees that indeed and just feigns ignorance in the interview to be a good Epic president, as others have pointed out.

Well in that case he should be on his company's back about making ****ty ports instead of playing the 'blind sheep' card.

Public opinion about Epic's recent PC efforts ain't gonna change until their games start getting better, no matter how much the higher ups back their products.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
...To make a game MP only is to strip out its soul..
QFT ...
:umno:

I guess Warhawk on PS3 is the exception that confirms this rule then.

You may not like games like Warhawk, and I don't want to know . However it's a known fact that hundreds of thousands do. So there is something there. And it's not a single player campaign. :hmm:

dnaumov

Jul 12, 2008
I have played GoW on both the 360 and the PC. While the PC version had the potential to be a smash hit, it had multiple very serious problems:

1) By the time the PC version was released, pretty much everyone who was interested in playing GoW had already played it on the 360, either their own or at some friend's place, greatly diminishing the amount of people who would want to purchase the PC version.
2) Severe technical (crashing game, crashing editor, hitches during gameplay, etc) issues for a lot of people, many of them still unresolved.
3) Trying to get away with charging money for proper multiplayer. You can get away with this on a 360 title, but on the PC? Forget about it.

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
1)not me
2)yes, ok
3)it's free, now :) but it could work on PC if just every game would be Games for Windows (60$/year is ok for ALL games but not for only one or two games i own that support games for windows live)
4) splitscreen cut out =/

dnaumov

Jul 12, 2008
3)it's free, now :) but it could work on PC if just every game would be Games for Windows (60$/year is ok for ALL games but not for only one or two games i own that support games for windows live)
"it's free, now" isn't going to do anything to the game's sales such a long time after release.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So you deny the implication of an "awful" life or however you want to put it?
That is why I said THIS.
That's just ignorant, because not everyone reeds books/watches movies/plays games. If all media were the same type of experience/quality/whatever, then things wouldn't be the way they are now.
But even people who don't do those things can enjoy them.
WTF?! When did I ever compare Beethoven to any band? I stated that I listen music from genre 1 to genre 2. I think numbers should be better description for you since you like them so much.
Sorry, I guess I have to be extremely literal for you to understand what I am saying.

COMPARING SILENT HILL TO GEARS OF WAR IS LIKE COMPARING BEETHOVEN TO YOUR FAVORITE BAND OF THE MOMENT

Does that make sense to you? Sheesh.

I guess all I can say to you is take your own advice and stop responding. You'd rather take something personally on the interbutts than read what I am saying. Also, the thread was already crap before you poked your head in it.

coathanger.jpg

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
I think when you boil it all down, a big reason there is this big disparity between GOW's ratings on 360 and PC is the fact that Epic gave up some of it's soul to Microsoft in the process. They basically chose to end up catering to console gamers who frankly have it easy. I have all 3 consoles and a pc. PC gamers, including myself, are far more critical and notice the nuances and design decisions when they see them, good and bad. Xbox owners are far too lenient and at the time leading up to Gears of War, they (we) would pick up virtually any game that had a hint of promise and praise it as the next best thing. I still play Gears online to this day, since it's been out, though admittedly COD4 did hook me in for a good while until my disc cracked. I can only guess that the somewhat uneven experience on a pc, due to limitations of hardware, controls and online system (live for windows).

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Obviously, the majority thought it was a good movie. How else do you judge the quality of something, really?

Plus, most things are made to be successful. If they aren't successful, that is certainly not a good thing.

But, the best movie in history? c'mon!

Thank God the design meeting for GoW didn't start of like this "you know we should make this game more like SuperMario and Titanic, they've sold a bunch therefore are better!!)

GoW actually copied its cover system from a game that didn't sell too well, because its designers had a little more vision that purely sales figures.

what sells isn't direct proof of quality (McDonalds have best food!!) If a lot of things weren't aggressively advertised and marketed, there is a good chance they wouldn't sell at all!

I'm a lot more interested in artistic integrity and personal judgement of quality, not merely what sells the most copies. I'm sure there are plenty of games,movies and books that you love that aren't the top seller!!

I'll concede that if your game completely sucks, just down right aweful - It probably won't sell at all (Though Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness was objectively aweful, yet sold a few million copies just because of its name)

Last edited:

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Play a high-end console game: $60 for the game, $500 for the game machine, $500 for an HD flatscreen. Total cost: just over a grand.

The present and future of computer gaming is on the console, not the PC. Capps should know this, he's a bright fellow. So a big WAAAAAAAAH to Dr. Capps regarding why nobody cares about GoW for the PC.

Personally, I have my 360 hooked up to my widescreen computer monitor; when I play stuff on there I slide everything over onto my 4:3 19" for the time being. I like everything being integrated, and for me the 360 is more a peripheral than something in its own right. I'm glad that it exists, but for me and many other people I believe the focus will remain on PCs. And at very least, it'd be hard to have only a console and no PC. I mean, I doubt many of us are writing forum posts here on consoles . . .

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
But, the best movie in history? c'mon!

Thank God the design meeting for GoW didn't start of like this "you know we should make this game more like SuperMario and Titanic, they've sold a bunch therefore are better!!)

GoW actually copied its cover system from a game that didn't sell too well, because its designers had a little more vision that purely sales figures.

what sells isn't direct proof of quality (McDonalds have best food!!) If a lot of things weren't aggressively advertised and marketed, there is a good chance they wouldn't sell at all!

I'm a lot more interested in artistic integrity and personal judgement of quality, not merely what sells the most copies. I'm sure there are plenty of games,movies and books that you love that aren't the top seller!!

I'll concede that if your game completely sucks, just down right aweful - It probably won't sell at all (Though Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness was objectively aweful, yet sold a few million copies just because of its name)
I agree, I'm simply saying there is no other worthwhile measuring stick. Creativity alone has little do with the quality of something. Kill.Switch didn't sell well, so SOMETHING was wrong with it. Same with countless other games, movies, books and so on.

Lots of games that don't sell well are great games. But are they better than the ones that do sell well? I don't know. There are obviously key things that most "revolutionary" games are missing, and it just goes to show that being revolutionary does not guarantee quality or success (according to the people who vote with their wallets).

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
hollow victory

Mike Capps is experiencing the hollowness that selling out to M$ and passing the buck on doing the PC port brings. Yay, lots of money, but no real satisfaction (not as in past). Obviously not carrying his own 'ball' got him a good kick in his own. Me thinks he doth protest too much (to cover his own misgivings).