The bulk system / speed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
Everyone knows it is flawed, but few could give a ideas to fix it. Here my idea : Set the formula around the average bulk.

Here an exemple : Say the average bulk is around 25 (i think a rifle and a sidearm with a convenient load or ammos should be around this. Your speed should be "standard". Having less bulk should slightly improve your max stamina and speed, but with less and less effect as you remove bulk. Having more should have little effect at first, but increase expodentially as you get more bulk.

Here my reasoning : Say our average soldier is around 200 pound. 20 to 30 pounds of equipments would barely slow him, just add a bit of momentum. Removing this weight would not make him much lightweight, he's still a 200 pound guy. Adding 20 pound would not affect him much either, but adding more and more will eventually make him slower and slower as the weight get closer to his own.

But the bulk is also about how large and combersome the equipment is. A M16 in your hands would not slow you much as you can move it to not affect your momentum. In fact you can even use it to improve it. But the equipment on your backpack would always affect you, and probably would not be tightly packed all the time, especially if you reach for them often...

So my thinking is : 25 bulk should be average. Less should have little effect on your speed and stamina, more should have little effect at first, but increase expodentially. Having 35 should not be very cumbersome, but 45 should begin to be a lot...

And another twist : one AR should be ok, 2 AR should be twice the bulk of both combined. Why? Because on AR in your hands si not combersome, but one in your hands and one on your shoulders begin to be bulky...

The aim of this would be to make players use a common sense loadout, not a very lightweight one or a very heavy one...

Any comments, ideas?

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
I kinda agree but I don't think it's that big a problem right now

22 Bulk is about all anybody needs to have a rifle plus a pistol and a few grenades. If you drop below this it shouldn't really effect you too much (can't go over 100% and we'd assume 22 bulk or so is 100% ability).

I think it should severely drop off as you get higher though. 30 bulk should effect you noticably. Every unit over 30 should severly impair your movement to the point where 40 bulk or higher is virtually unplayable.

The only catch is, for this to work, they need to fix the bulk values of the acog and 40mm grenades as they are too high right now but in order to fix that they need to fix the realism problems with them first.

Also, if they went to an XCOM loadout system like me and a few others have been suggesting we wouldn't really see loadout problems anymore.

But the equipment on your backpack would always affect you, and probably would not be tightly packed all the time, especially if you reach for them often

Why would you reach for them often? In/on the backpack you have things such as: your sleeping bag, the mat you place below your sleeping bag (iso-matte in German, don't know what it's called in English), an extra uniform, additional clothing for cold or rain, your eating container, your esbit-"cooker", shoe cleaning kit, sewing kit. This is what you normally have in your backpack in the German Army.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
If you still carry your backpack into a battlezone, chances are you are briging some extra equipment for the battle, not your extra clothing or food...

I think the Inf team should drop the backpack once and for all : it has been said many time soldiers usually not carry around their backpack, they leave it somewhere outside the battlezone (if they know in advance where the battle will be).