Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Justin286

Smooth Criminal
Jul 26, 2001
Bk, Nyc
You'll need at least Camera Raw 4.4.1. IMO might as well upgrade to Photoshop CS4 or Lightroom 2 because knowing Adobe, all support for earlier versions just dropped dead.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
4's not out yet if I am right, right? It comes out later this year I believe, but plenty of other people are shooting RAWs with this camera, so there has to be some kind of fix, or it should work with 3.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Because I shouldn't have to. I should be able to open them in Photoshop fine.

What you should, and what you can or cannot do are two entirely different things. Different cameras have different RAW types. I don't know why, but that's just that.

Use Digital Photo Professional, it comes free with your camera. It's a great tool for those without Photoshop access when messing with RAW's.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
What you should, and what you can or cannot do are two entirely different things. Different cameras have different RAW types. I don't know why, but that's just that.

Use Digital Photo Professional, it comes free with your camera. It's a great tool for those without Photoshop access when messing with RAW's.

Meh, I will get it to work. I know Photoshop and I like it. It's just a matter of figuring it out.

Justin286

Smooth Criminal
Jul 26, 2001
Bk, Nyc
What's with the hate for DPP? Or rather really big dislike? I mean, if you really think about it, it would make a lot more sense to use it instead of depending on somebody like Adobe. For one thing, Canon would know more than anyone how their file systems for their cameras work unlike Adobe who pretty much hack and reverse-engineer in order to support new RAW formats.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Speaking of film, here's an example:

PolinaBW.jpg

I'm scared to think how much post I'd have to do with digital to get it looking somewhat like this. Loads of fiddling with adjustment masks, that's for sure! :p

That shot was exposed for one side of her face while the other side is overexposed. The same lighting used to capture it on film can be used to capture it with digital. If one spends enough time learning how light works, one can achieve excellent results either way. Digital can even be more tolerant than film in many cases.

So my new camera shoots raw files as .cr2. Photoshop CS2 doesn't "understand" them. So I did some reading and found some fixes, but none of them work. Should I just get CS3 and does anyone know if that works?

Nope. I get an error now that says "Unable to use the Camera Raw plug-in. It is not compatible with this version of Photoshop."

Adobe dumped support for older versions of PS as the raw plug in was updated. I think raw version 3.6 was the last supported version for CS2. Unfortunately any camera that has come out in the last 2 years isnt supported by raw 3.6.

Fortunately there are a few methods around this: (no particular order)

1. Download the latest version of camera raw and use the raw "dng converter". DNG is adobe's raw format. This converter will take all of your raw files and create the DNG equivalent. DNG can be used on older versions of PS such as CS2. There is no difference in quality or functionality between your camera's raw format and the DNG files.
2. Use the software that came with your camera for raw conversions.
3. Buy CS3 - The education version is dirt cheap
4. Buy Lightroom - Its even cheaper

Justin286

Smooth Criminal
Jul 26, 2001
Bk, Nyc
Well, unless there's a really big price difference, I'd still say it's not worth it to bid for one on eBay. But that's just me.
P.S. Don't forget to check the shipping charges. They can be a big surprise sometimes since eBay doesn't include shipping fees when they charge the sellers.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Damn, outbid at the last minute. Who would have thunk it. :p

I would have saved around 200 bucks, would have gotten a kit lens, bag, and 2 gig card with it aswell.

:(